News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Greek Prehistory

Started by tasosaurusGR, May 10, 2015, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tasosaurusGR

The following animals used to live in Greece (the photos are from a magazine) :

coelodonta antiquitatis

mammuthus meridionalis

homotherium latidens

bison priscus

elephas antiquus and mastodon tush 5,02 meters long.

Derek.McManus

This is true, many now extinct creatures lived all over the world...it is believed that the legend of the Cyclops came about from the discovery of extinct elephant or mammoth skulls.

tasosaurusGR

Yes... The same goes for dragons and other mythological creatures.Most people still think of dinosaurs as huge monsters.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

If you're interested in the responses of the Ancient Greco-Romans to fossil finds (which certainly happened from time to time), you should check out this book! I read straight through it; it's a fascinating read. I especially like how the author traces the history of myths and of known Mediterranean fossil beds.

http://smile.amazon.com/First-Fossil-Hunters-Dinosaurs-Mammoths/dp/0691150133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433653227&sr=8-1&keywords=the+first+fossil+hunters

tasosaurusGR

Thanks , sounds great  :).I might have to buy one of these.

laticauda

That looks like an interesting read, I think I'll check that out.  Thnaks. 

Derek.McManus

That book does look interesting, thank you for sharing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.