News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T. Rex Autopsy Preview

Started by suspsy, May 26, 2015, 08:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: insecticon678 on June 09, 2015, 04:16:52 AM
Quote from: suspsy on June 09, 2015, 02:42:53 AM
Oh, and none of those people were actors, Meso-Cenozoic. Look it up on NatGeo's website. Three legitimate paleontologists and a veterinarian.

That explains why they couldn't act! :)

Ahhh, thanks, Suspsy! And yes, that does explain some of their awkwardness.

And I didn't think I was necessarily nitpicking. I just merely gave my honest opinion and critiqued it from my point of view. BTW, I did point out that I found it fascinating to watch and will probably catch the repeats of it. 8)

suspsy

I would much rather watch paleontologists try to be actors than actors try to be paleontologists. :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Also, I agree that the CGI was disappointing compared to that of Dino Death Match or other documentaries currently airing. Perhaps it was a matter of limited budget? That T. rex model took six months to construct.

reinier zwanink

Here in holland its dino week
Right now it  T rex extreem surviver
Its a very interesting program with some very good animations
Far better that on t rex autopsy

Gwangi

I thought it was a fantastic documentary. They basically used this fake T. rex (really well made BTW) to illustrate where we are currently at regarding the scientific consensus behind things like dinosaur growth patterns, breathing systems, metabolism, feathers etc. etc. It's a bit cheesy but all things considered, very well made. This is the sort of documentary that brings our current hypothesis to the masses. And the paleontologists were respectable picks too, Steve Brusatte and Mathew Mossbrucker are both pretty big names and I agree with Supsey, I would rather see paleontologists try to be actors than vise versa. Don't nit pick this show too hard guys. It's made to entertain for sure but unlike most documentaries these days it does educate as well.

Arul

This month is dinosaur month in natgeo. They repeatly advertising JW in every hour, giving a unique fact of dinosaur especially trex as an advertisement, episodes of Jurrasic CSI 1 hour per day, 14 june is trex autopsy. Favorite channel

Arul

Simon

The one thing that I can't get out of my head (and its a MEGA BIG destroyer of any attempt I make to suspend my disbelief) when I see anything associated with this special is this:

Where are the gas masks?  Do you realize what the stench would be of a rotting carcass of this size?  They would be retching and throwing up if they tried to do what these two people are supposed to be doing without them.

It seems like a really dumb idea for a show to me.

Dobber

Where's the bone in the sliced off leg?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dinomike

I watched half of it - couldn't stomach more - it's way too realistic:) A very informative show and well explained. The modelnis simply astonishing. Every detail's there. Just too much blood for me:)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

suspsy

Quote from: Simon on June 11, 2015, 04:43:15 PM
The one thing that I can't get out of my head (and its a MEGA BIG destroyer of any attempt I make to suspend my disbelief) when I see anything associated with this special is this:

Where are the gas masks?  Do you realize what the stench would be of a rotting carcass of this size?  They would be retching and throwing up if they tried to do what these two people are supposed to be doing without them.

I noticed that as well (I'm sure everyone did), but I figure it was done that way so that the cameras could catch the reactions of the participants better.

QuoteIt seems like a really dumb idea for a show to me.

As opposed to a show about living mermaids, dragons, or Megalodons? :)

HD-man

Quote from: Simon on June 11, 2015, 04:43:15 PMWhere are the gas masks?  Do you realize what the stench would be of a rotting carcass of this size?  They would be retching and throwing up if they tried to do what these two people are supposed to be doing without them.

Who said anything about "a rotting carcass"? To quote Hutchinson, the model is supposed to be "a very fresh T. rex body" ( http://whatsinjohnsfreezer.com/2015/05/20/t-rex-autopsy-my-backstory/ ). Besides, as indicated by the following video, the "Inside Nature's Giants" team does fine without gas masks.

Quote from: Simon on June 11, 2015, 04:43:15 PMIt seems like a really dumb idea for a show to me.

No offense, but I think you might've missed the point (which, to quote Hutchinnson, is "to show what we know about T. rex scientifically, and what we don't know, using the "autopsy" as a narrative device": http://whatsinjohnsfreezer.com/2015/05/20/t-rex-autopsy-my-backstory/ ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgq2FGYBy1E
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

I was going to post a clip from "Inside Nature's Giants" were the crew don't necessarily wear masks. I found "T. rex Autopsy" to be very similar to the BBC show, and that's paying it a huge compliment.

Arul

Yes in my faculty when we studying about autopsy we are not allowed to use a mask, my lecture said it will influince the final result..

Derek.McManus

I thought it was an interesting show, but felt the CGI sequences let it down a bit. I also suspect the blood was a little over the top...but no harm done! Maybe they will consider a sequel with another dinosaur...anyone for triceratops or my favorite, Stegosaurus!

suspsy

I suspect that if this becomes an ongoing series, Triceratops would be a possible candidate. Or Brontosaurus, given a larger budget. But don't expect to see another big theropod again.

Arul

I just wacthed it, wow how they made that trex  :o all organs, intestine heart ribs lungs half-digested food. And which part/opinion from them that made you surprised ?

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 08, 2015, 08:40:32 AM
Maybe it will appear online..I don't have cable anymore but perhaps it will end up on netflix.

And for anyone else who missed it, here's the whole program...

https://youtu.be/8dIgeH353ro

pylraster

Getting dirty may make the scientists look more "immersed", but as someone who worked in the O.R. before, you really have to be careful not to let any of those fluids get on your face or mouth. It makes for good entertainment, but a little too careless.

suspsy

Quote from: ARUL on June 15, 2015, 02:00:35 AM
I just wacthed it, wow how they made that trex  :o all organs, intestine heart ribs lungs half-digested food. And which part/opinion from them that made you surprised ?

Probably the lungs with the inflating air sacs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: