News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Egg Colors?

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, May 27, 2015, 01:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

Interesting paper. However I'm sure dinosaur egg colors varied greatly depending on species and environment. Heck, even chicken eggs can be many different colors and sizes depending on the breed!

Halichoeres

Yeah, case in point: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/022605778X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0Q3Y0MSKGHE837H6QYQY&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2091268722&pf_rd_i=desktop

With that kind of variety in just extant birds, who knows what kinds of crazy patterns and colors adorned dinosaur eggs over 150 million years? But it's super cool that they can infer the color of any of them!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

I pretty well agree with the trend here in saying its unlikely they would all be similarly colored....perhaps they can state the colors for a single species from a given locale, but not even sure that would carry over to a similar species in another location. I will be excited to see if anyone rebutts the study or if there is further evidence given.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Kayakasaurus

This inspires me to paint some blue eggs! I have been making egg nests and simply painting them tan, I'm going to have to try some new colors  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Dinoguy2

One pattern we do see in modern birds is that ground-nesting birds tend to have more camouflaged eggs. Wild chicken eggs are brown, only certain farm breeds lay white eggs. Since all known dinosaurs outside the clade Neoaves nest on the ground in scratched-out dirt and rock nests, we can be pretty sure they ALL had some kind of pattern or color to help them blend in with their surroundings, or cryptic coloration. Plain white Mesozoic dinosaur eggs would have been rare! :)

(Ostriches and rheas are one group that's an exception here, as they have bright white eggs and nest on the ground).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.