News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Interview with Papo sculptor (info on upcoming pieces)

Started by Dyscrasia, May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meso-Cenozoic

Wow, really enjoyed looking through his pics. Thanks Dyscrasia! The tiny details on those originals are quite impressive. I can't believe all those extremely small yet very detailed hairs on his cats! He is definitely a very fine artist. And it's exciting to hear that Papo is trying to better keep more of his original details on their mass produced figures. Also exciting to hear about those future figures! I agree with Blade that at least some of those probably won't be for next year. Those were probably already done last year, and maybe the Giga is still in that list for 2016 figures. Maybe he purposely didn't mention any that will be coming out next.

Roselaar

Wow, thanks for the info. And wonderful revelations! Can't wait to see what the Bary will look like. :

Daspletodave

Arul

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ARUL on May 29, 2015, 12:11:48 AM
Finaly papo made something feathered lol
Did you forget the Archaeopteryx?  And Blade-of-the-Moon brings up an interesting point.  These upcoming pieces may be a year or two away.  I kinda hope not though.  I hope we'll get to see something of these two pieces soon.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

alexeratops

I'd bet money the 'feathered' velociraptor will be like shleich's more recent one... teeny feathers on the arms and that's it. Though since Baryonyx PROBABLY didn't have feathers (y'know being a fisher and all) I bet its going to look amazin'!
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Quote from: alexeratops on May 29, 2015, 01:32:10 AM
I'd bet money the 'feathered' velociraptor will be like shleich's more recent one... teeny feathers on the arms and that's it. Though since Baryonyx PROBABLY didn't have feathers (y'know being a fisher and all) I bet its going to look amazin'!

Probably not a good idea to bet money on it. The Papo Archaeopteryx is rather heavily feathered and it certainly looks amazing. I would argue that it is one of the very best feathered dinosaurs in the market, at least, as far as aesthetics is concerned. Shame about the bald head, though.

didusineptus

For those of you interested in more of the details of the interview, it says:

1.  That research is important, but no-one can know everything about extinct animals like dinosaurs, and new theories come out all the time.  As much as he strives to satisfy collectors, he has to remember they are kids' toys at the same time. So the gap between new theories and public perceptions of dinosaurs - fed by films, documentaries and educational books, is something he agonizes over.  He starts a sculpture by studying the animal's skeleton, then trying to make it dynamic, and is very aware of the latest research, but aims to produce a dinosaur somewhere in between the image collectors versus 'normal people' might have in their minds - though as a collector himself, he can't ever ignore academic research. This is why he's currently sculpting a feathered velociraptor that reflects the latest research.

2.  The issue of figures beginning to fall over with time is something that Papo headquarters is aware of, so when he begins a sculpture he pays a lot of attention to balance.  However, as these figures need to work as toys he can't use resin or hard PVC.  If you use a lighter material, you find that over time and depending on temperature, stresses occur, and if you try to make the details more dynamic, small stresses will throw the balance off.  And if you try and use plants or a base to stop things falling over, the price goes up and production time increases.  In his opinion, bases make figures unsuitable as toys, and if you try and make dinosaurs that stand up by themselves, one thing always follows:  if I sculpt the dynamic details I want to, issues with figures falling over begin to arise over time, and if I go for more stable features, I then worry about having to abandon too much dynamism.  I always have no choice but to try and find a solution...so, as far as this baryonyx I have sculpted is concerned, I have made it so if it falls backwards, it can be propped up with the tail, and if it falls forwards, with the arms.

That's all I have time to translate for you all this morning...!

DinoLord

Thanks for the more detailed translation didusineptus! It's reassuring to see that the sculptor and Papo consider the issues that we as collectors often discuss.

Dyscrasia

Wow! Great work, didusineptus  ;D

And thank you everyone!

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.

Takama

With the Revelation of a Upcoming Iguanodon, i hope we can expect some more Ornithopods in the future

Also Baryonyx sounds Cool.  I just hope they can get into more then just the core dinosaurs

Arul

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 29, 2015, 12:39:03 AM
Quote from: ARUL on May 29, 2015, 12:11:48 AM
Finaly papo made something feathered lol
Did you forget the Archaeopteryx?  And Blade-of-the-Moon brings up an interesting point.  These upcoming pieces may be a year or two away.  I kinda hope not though.  I hope we'll get to see something of these two pieces soon.
Ohh yes i forgot sorry  :P this is a good thread, add bookmark now  :D

tyrantqueen

I wish someone had asked him whether he sculpted the marine reptiles as well. I've heard people say that he didn't, but the style feels similar so it's hard to say.

Dyscrasia

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 29, 2015, 05:20:32 AM
I wish someone had asked him whether he sculpted the marine reptiles as well. I've heard people say that he didn't, but the style feels similar so it's hard to say.

Actually, someone has asked that question in the interview.

He says that a sculptor from Germany is working with the marine reptiles.

The prehistoric mammals, marine reptiles, and tub mini dinosaurs are from other sculptors.

tyrantqueen

QuoteHe says that a sculptor from Germany is working with the marine reptiles.
Thanks, good to know.

joossa

Wow, so much information and answers to questions that have popped up over the years. Big thanks to Dyscrasia and didusineptus!

Sounds like Mr. Seo is a sound, relatable fellow. Super excited for the Baryonyx. I would prefer a Corythosaurus over an Iguanodon, but can't complain since I end up liking almost all of Papo's models. The feathered raptor is sure to generate more talk, I'm sure.
I'm sure the day we see their Giganotosaurus will be a great one.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Takama

tyrantqueen

Kinda surprised that they are releasing another paint job for T.rex so soon...but it's cool. I wonder what they're inspired by? Maybe they're trying to remove the JP colour influence from the sculpt.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 29, 2015, 07:32:41 AM
Kinda surprised that they are releasing another paint job for T.rex so soon...but it's cool. I wonder what they're inspired by? Maybe they're trying to remove the JP colour influence from the sculpt.

Pretty cool repaints. Perhaps, they are trying to distance themselves from JP/JW in order to avoid any legal issues? In another thread a poster spotted a Spinosaurus repaint (?) at Toysrus. It's a bit counterintuitive to release v3 of the Velociraptor, especially when they are also considering releasing an updated feathered variant in the near future.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dyscrasia on May 29, 2015, 05:38:04 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 29, 2015, 05:20:32 AM

Actually, someone has asked that question in the interview.

He says that a sculptor from Germany is working with the marine reptiles.

The prehistoric mammals, marine reptiles, and tub mini dinosaurs are from other sculptors.

It would have been nice if Mr. Seo made the Smilodon. His tigers/lions are flawless and lifelike.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: