News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

(Spoilers) Jurassic Park call-backs in Jurassic World

Started by DinoToyForum, June 12, 2015, 09:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I though it would be interesting to list all the nods and call backs in Jurassic World to the original Jurassic Park movie. I'm sure these are all intentional. If they aren't, then the fact that they reminded me of JP is good enough reason for inclusion! I'm sure there a more so comment below if I've missed any. I've excluded returning characters because they aren't call-backs so much as they are continuations, and I've excluded easter eggs such as Winston's restaurant. The list is as follows:

1. Clare dressed all in white (like Hammond)...
2. ...Until she adjusts her top and folds it over (like Ellie).
3. Dinosaur lunges at two upside down kids through the glass of a vehicle - their shoes squeak on the glass.
4. A touchy feely emotional encounter with a sick dinosaur.
5. T. rex is fed a goat.
6. T. rex is attracted by a flare. Twice! (In the original Grant used the flare because it was at hand, this movie makes it feel as if flares are a 'thing').
7. A helicopter approaches the island (exact same shot).
8. Night vision goggles.
9. Original visitor centre, including fallen skeletons and 'When dinosaurs ruled the Earth' banner.
10. Original jeep.
11. The iconic waterfall is seen briefly as a helicopter flies by.
12. A pterosaur flies alongside a helicopter as it approaches the island (as birds fly alongside a helicopter leaving the island in JP)
13. Owen shields Clare and kids from a raptor (same shot in JP rotunda scene)
14. Main guy in control room has a mustache (like Arnold).
15. Kid says "turn it on" to other kid (like kid says "turn it off" in JP).
16. Man wears Jurassic Park T shirt.
17. Dilophosaurus hologram.
18. Dilophosaurus spit joke.
19. Screens in the vehicles (gyrosphere).
20. Kid runs into visitor centre to hug a family member who is coming down some stairs.
21. Mr DNA with same/similar voice actor.
22. Shot pans backwards amid a herd of Gallimimus.
23. Entering the park through a great big gate, which opens upon approach.
24. Clare says "run!".
25. Shoe prints in the mud indicate that the kids escaped an attack on a vehicle.
26. Two young siblings.
27. Dinosaur viewed in rear view mirror.
28. Shot of sand being brushed off a dinosaur bone.
29. Dinosaur looks through glass with one eye and lingers there.
30. "spared no expense".
31. Ian Malcolm book.
32. Desk described as "chaotic"/"like living system".
33. Dinosaur poop joke (deleted, but still)
34. Snapping wire makes a twanging noise (when Mosasaurus eats shark in JW/when T. rex breaks fence in JP)
35. Green button - "push it". (power terminal in JW, Cell phone in JW)
36. Two drops of blood on wrist go in different directions (like two drops of water on Ellie's wrist go in different directions).
37. "gonna have to jump"..."I cant"..."1, 2..[jumps]". (Fence scene in JP, waterfall scene in JW).
38. Chilean sea bass.
39. Glory shot of dinosaur roaring inside rotunda.
40. Barbasol can boy

I'll update the list as I think of more. If I missed any let me know!

I'm shocked they resisted the temptation to bring back the concentric rippling water. I thought they would do this on a larger scale in the lake with the mosasaur.

I'll update this post with images when the DVD comes out. In the meantime:

Pachyrhinosaurus

There is also a kid in the petting zoo scene with a blue shirt that has red and white stripes on the lower half, like a Barbasol can.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 12, 2015, 01:49:36 PM
There is also a kid in the petting zoo scene with a blue shirt that has red and white stripes on the lower half, like a Barbasol can.

I didn't see that - do you think it is was intentional?

Libraraptor

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

I considered Wu, but felt that his inclusion in JW could be seen a continuation of the character's storyline rather than a direct call-back to the original film. Like Malcolm in 2 and Grant in 3, which aren't references to the original film, just continuations of their story lines.

Roselaar

Mr. DNA is actually voiced by Colin Trevorrow. The original Mr. DNA passed away in 2008.

A few more:
-Scars on T-Rex (before I-Rex fight), reminding of its earlier fight with Raptors (which makes her acceptance of Blue all the more poignant).
-Kids going through divorce issues
-Malcolm's book on Lowery's desk
-Actual merchandise for the movie available in park's gift shop
-Dinosaur poop joke (deleted, but still)

DinoLord

I felt Wu's conversation with Masrani gave the character a lot of depth; it seems to me that he's quite conflicted. He reminds me of the novel character but with 20+ years of hindsight - he seems to hold a bit of resentment over the desire for stylized dinosaurs.

Also, another reference to the original film I noticed is Claire and her sister's banter about the former's hesitance to have children. Reminds me a bit of Grant.

One more - Claire crawling away from the T. rex's feet as the big fight is beginning reminds me of Grant crawling away from the T. rex vs. Spinosaurus fight in JP3.

John

To me,a call back to the earlier movies is something like the ruins of the old abandoned park and associated jeeps,or a photo of Ian Malcolm on the back of a book.Or merchandice seen in the crowd like the plastic Spinosaurus cup toppers at the mosasaur feeding show.There are also some coincidences like a view master slide of Ceratosaurus,a species which appeared in Jurassic Park 3 but doesn't play a role in this one. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't know if it's been said but I remember a shot entering the old VC just like the one in JP, only to reveal the ruins instead.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Did the recording in the monorail say the gate they entered through was the original gate?

laticauda

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 14, 2015, 03:25:35 AM
Did the recording in the monorail say the gate they entered through was the original gate?

I think it said it was made from the original gate, so in essance, Yes.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: laticauda on June 14, 2015, 03:28:55 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 14, 2015, 03:25:35 AM

I think it said it was made from the original gate, so in essance, Yes.

Sweet.

DinoLord

They didn't go as far as to say it was made from the original gate, but only said it was made from reclaimed wood from the original park.

Hermes888

You guys included a dinosaur being seen in the side-view mirror right?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on June 14, 2015, 12:57:13 PM
They didn't go as far as to say it was made from the original gate, but only said it was made from reclaimed wood from the original park.

Are you sure? The word "gate" and I think " original" was used, but the line was over before I really heard it.  I'll be paying more attention when I go back to see it in 3D next week.

DinoLord

Yeah I'm pretty sure they only mentioned reclaimed wood. I imagine even then most of it would have come from the gate, as I can't think of many other wooden structures of that size in the original park.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on June 14, 2015, 05:50:47 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure they only mentioned reclaimed wood. I imagine even then most of it would have come from the gate, as I can't think of many other wooden structures of that size in the original park.

I think only the doors were wooden, the rest of the gate was concrete. It is interesting.

Simon

I don't think ANY of us expected THIS:

"'Jurassic World' Destroys Record for Global Box Office With $511 Million Debut"

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jurassic-world-destroys-record-global-box-office-debut-154612761.html

I just bought our 5 IMAX tickets for next Tuesday's showing.  I'm looking forward to it.  Looks like quite a thrill ride.

I am amazed.  I know the reviews were good, but I never thought another dinosaur movie would have the draw of the original Jurassic Park; heck, maybe its that Mosasaurus that did it?  That one scene with the Great White as bait is iconic...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Simon on June 14, 2015, 08:44:52 PM
I don't think ANY of us expected THIS:

"'Jurassic World' Destroys Record for Global Box Office With $511 Million Debut"

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jurassic-world-destroys-record-global-box-office-debut-154612761.html

I just bought our 5 IMAX tickets for next Tuesday's showing.  I'm looking forward to it.  Looks like quite a thrill ride.

I am amazed.  I know the reviews were good, but I never thought another dinosaur movie would have the draw of the original Jurassic Park; heck, maybe its that Mosasaurus that did it?  That one scene with the Great White as bait is iconic...

I wonder how that stacks up in terms of..2D-openings versus openings in 2D vs 3 D and also how that 500 million now compares to the amount the original brought in allowing for inflation...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.