You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I'll probably end up getting about half the ceratopsians, so I won't be eating any food all summer. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the comments section of that update, David suggested he may make scaled-down versions of the raptors to go with the ceratopsians (1/18). Heads up for 1/20 collectors. I'll probably get a few of those too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

I really want to get them,
David says that the most expensive figure might be $100... So I'm not too optimistic about the rest.

Loon

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 20, 2017, 03:34:22 PM
David says that the most expensive figure might be $100... So I'm not too optimistic about the rest.
Im guessing hes going to try and keep them all relatively in scale from here on out(with the exception of the extremely large or small animals). I would guess the $100 figure would have to be a sauropod, Titanosaur maybe? 

Flaffy

Quote from: Loon on January 20, 2017, 05:03:04 PM
Im guessing hes going to try and keep them all relatively in scale from here on out(with the exception of the extremely large or small animals). I would guess the $100 figure would have to be a sauropod, Titanosaur maybe?
"There are many options right now, but my goal is to keep the most expensive figure offerings at around $100 for ceratopsians."
- David Silva

Loon

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 20, 2017, 05:06:41 PM
"There are many options right now, but my goal is to keep the most expensive figure offerings at around $100 for ceratopsians."
- David Silva
Didn't see that, oh my...I've got no idea now. Family Packs maybe? I can't imagine a ceratopsian figure costing more than $70  if he's operating at a smaller scale now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Could be family or herd packs..maybe alternate heads, pristine vs battle damage , male vs female?  maybe that will be for multi figure packs like he did with the raptors..very interesting.

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 20, 2017, 05:06:41 PM
- David Silva

Man, that's a lot for one figure. I suppose that the biggest species, like Titanoceratops and Torosaurus, would be 35 or 40 cm long, so it's not completely outlandish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

that's why Ill just stick to a protoceratops(or a similar sized ceratopsian)...it shouldn't be much bigger/pricier than the raptor.
Of course I did also splurge an extra $60 for accessory packs, so if I want a bigger figure I could just do without any accessories this time out.

ceratopsian

Oh dear - I managed to restrain myself from purchasing raptors.  But ceratopsians...  that will be another story!

Sim

In the big discussion on scale that followed the most recent update, David mentioned he was considering sizing down raptors from the first series to 1:18 scale for the ceratopsian series.  A few days ago, I left a comment in the main comments section, in which I mentioned that the secondaries of the Zhenyuanlong figure, and the tibia parts of the Zhenyuanlong and Dromaeosaurus figures all appear to be too short, and that I hope David will adjust those parts if these dromaeosaurids are made in 1:18 scale for BotM, or they are produced again as 1:6 figures.

In a comment I left in the main comments section today, I mentioned something I just found out: In the paper that names Dakotaraptor, the tibia:femur ratio for Dromaeosaurus is listed, and it seems to match the tibia:femur ratio in Scott Hartman's Dromaeosaurus skeletal. So it looks like the tibia and femur of Dromaeosaurus are actually known!  And that like Zhenyuanlong, Dromaeosaurus had longer tibiae than other dromaeosaurids like Velociraptor and Saurornitholestes.  I think David has done a lot of very good work for this raptor series.  But I am disappointed that a longer tibia wasn't made for the Dromaeosaurus and Zhenyuanlong figures.

Thank you to everyone who said when an anatomical feature wasn't right in this line, this has made the line better as it led to David making a number of adjustments.

Faelrin

Just saw your post over there as well as here. Well then that is interesting (regarding the Dromaeosaurus tibia:femur ratio). I wonder what that means for this animal, especially since it seems its "sickle" claw was smaller as well. I still like how the prototypes turned out, but I will have to keep in mind that they were more leggier then Velociraptor (which seems to be the basis for the shared leg parts for this line, I think, if I've been looking at them right).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

AcroSauroTaurus

Sorry I'm a little late to the party! First of all, I am really excited for the ceratopsians! Sadly, the only way I'll be able to get the raptors and the ceratopsians is if they become available in stores, as I don't have online bank account related stuff yet... Second of all, am I the only one that noticed the skeletal selected for the Avaceratops is inaccurate? As in it should look like this:
I am the Dinosaur King!

Simon

Just dang ...  :o :o :o :o ... I counted 18 ceratopsians pictured above, and there are a couple of glaring omissions that I am sure he will include ... so there'll be ... 20 species (lets say) all done in 1/18 scale (!!!) That means a half dozen GIANTS and the rest medium/large ... good grief ... where to find the space ... this is the exact opposite of the raptors for me ... didn't get any of those cause they don't really move me ... but ceratopsians ... they're all so weird, you can't leave any of them out ... time to open a special savings account ... 8) 8) 8)

sauroid

Simon, is there a bigger version of that J. Csotonyi image? thanks
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 28, 2017, 05:19:06 AM
Sorry I'm a little late to the party! First of all, I am really excited for the ceratopsians! Sadly, the only way I'll be able to get the raptors and the ceratopsians is if they become available in stores, as I don't have online bank account related stuff yet... Second of all, am I the only one that noticed the skeletal selected for the Avaceratops is inaccurate? As in it should look like this:

As described on this page, the skeletal in your post appears to be a new species that isn't Avaceratops lammersi: http://rmdrc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/please-welcome-new-avaceratops.html

The skeletal David selected for Avaceratops looks like Scott Hartman's current Avaceratops lammersi skeletal: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/avaceratops  It's from 2003 though, so I don't know how up-to-date it is.

If you have PayPal, that can be used to pay for the figures now.

ItsTwentyBelow

This is pretty cool, I can't wait to see the first sculpts he finishes. A Protoceratops will be a must-have for me, since I've already got the BotM blue Velociraptor, and Mononykus diorama as part of my raptor shipment.

Oh man, it's 2017 and our raptor orders are already only a few months away! Can't wait!

suspsy

I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of some or all these raptors. I won't be able to submit any myself, sadly. Not in this year's budget.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on January 28, 2017, 03:07:10 AM
Just saw your post over there as well as here. Well then that is interesting (regarding the Dromaeosaurus tibia:femur ratio). I wonder what that means for this animal, especially since it seems its "sickle" claw was smaller as well. I still like how the prototypes turned out, but I will have to keep in mind that they were more leggier then Velociraptor (which seems to be the basis for the shared leg parts for this line, I think, if I've been looking at them right).

Based on some reading I've done recently, I think the sickle claw of Dromaeosaurus might actually not be known.  I think the Dromaeosaurus sickle claw in both Scott Hartman's skeletal and the BotM figure looks reasonable.  I think the Saurornitholestes sickle claws, which are the largest sickle claw parts in the BotM raptor series, would've been too much for Dromaeosaurus, so I'm glad it didn't get them.

terrorchicken

Quote from: sauroid on January 28, 2017, 08:34:53 AM
Simon, is there a bigger version of that J. Csotonyi image? thanks
I was just going to ask this. It would sure come in handy for me.  ^-^

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Sim on January 28, 2017, 12:38:14 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 28, 2017, 05:19:06 AM

As described on this page, the skeletal in your post appears to be a new species that isn't Avaceratops lammersi: http://rmdrc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/please-welcome-new-avaceratops.html

The skeletal David selected for Avaceratops looks like Scott Hartman's current Avaceratops lammersi skeletal: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/avaceratops  It's from 2003 though, so I don't know how up-to-date it is.

If you have PayPal, that can be used to pay for the figures now.

Thanks for clearing that up! I wasn't sure what the result was, if it is an Avaceratops or a new genus. I would really like a figure of this ceratopsian though.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: