You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImADinosaurRARR

Okay, with so many people worried about the size of the ceratopsians, I went in to Photoshop and measured these babies to see how bad it actually is. I measured from the front of the beak to the tip of the tail. I've organised these animals by size. Looking at them, I've began to have my own fears. Please correct me if I get anything wrong (some of these sizes do seem wonky)

7 inches (16 centre-meters): Cerasinops
7.3 inches (17 centre-meters): Montanoceratops
8.4 inches (20 centre-meters): Zuniceratops
11 inches (26 centre-meters): Nasautoceratops
11.3 inches (27 centre-meters): Avaceratops, Einosaurus, Anchiceratops
11.7 inches (28 centre-meters): Kosmoceratops, Agujaceratops
12 inches (29 centre-meters): Styracosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Utahceratops
14 inches (34 centre-meters): Pentaceratops
14.3 inches (35 centre-meters): Xenoceratops, Albertaceratops
14.7 inches (36 centre-meters): Centrosaurus
15 inches (37 centre-meters): Graciliceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus I, Wendiceratops, Vegaceratops
15.5 inches (38 centre-meters): Psittacosaurus
16 inches (39 centre-meters): Turanoceratops, Protoceratops
16.7 inches (42 centre-meters): Leptoceratops
19 inches (47 centre-meters): Triceratops, Machairoceratops

As you can see, the ceratopsians in wave 2 are by far the smallest, with Utahceratops being the largest. This is a really good thing since we can all get our Styracosaurus.

However, the 1:6 ceratopsians are some of the largest, second only to the largest dinos in phase one. That means that Protoceratops is going to be one of the most expensive creatures in the line :( Won't stop me from buying one though. That raptor vs proto ain't gonna build itself!!!!!

Halichoeres

Those estimates are higher than I would have expected. For some of the medium sized ceratopsians, 1:18 shouldn't be much bigger than a Wild Safari ceratopsian (by my measurements, their Vagaceratops is around that scale already). Did you measure in a straight line? That might give you a slightly inflated estimate, as I think length estimates you find, for example, on Wikipedia, will be measured in a line that follows the spinal column. But of course, we also don't know how closely Mr. Silva will actually adhere to the given scales.

All the same, the large species (Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai, Triceratops, Titanoceratops, Torosaurus) will definitely be expensive and bulky. And the 1:6 figures probably will be also.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

While I doubt it will be that long, 38 centimeters would be my preferred size of Psittacosaurus.

Sim

There's a 4 inch human figure in each of the three ceratopsian concept art images that I'm guessing gives an idea of the planned size for the figures.  Going by that, it seems the Protoceratops will be around 33 centimetres long, while the Chasmosaurus will be around 25 centimetres long.  It would be good to hear what measurements someone else gets too.

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on March 12, 2017, 08:11:25 PM
As you can see, the ceratopsians in wave 2 are by far the smallest, with Utahceratops being the largest. This is a really good thing since we can all get our Styracosaurus.

I don't want a Styracosaurus, I'd like a Chasmosaurus. :P :)

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Sim on March 13, 2017, 01:03:57 AM
There's a 4 inch human figure in each of the three ceratopsian concept art images that I'm guessing gives an idea of the planned size for the figures.  Going by that, it seems the Protoceratops will be around 33 centimetres long, while the Chasmosaurus will be around 25 centimetres long.  It would be good to hear what measurements someone else gets too.

I hope you're right, that Chasmosaurus it's a little big still but will not look so gigantic. And that's one of the species that interest me the most.

tanystropheus

What scale is the PNSO Triceratops with respect to the Silva?

Simon

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 13, 2017, 01:08:27 AM
What scale is the PNSO Triceratops with respect to the Silva?

PNSO Trike is 14 inches long, so its smaller.

Flaffy

Wow those are going to be pricey, seems like I'll only be able to afford one or two of these.

tanystropheus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on March 13, 2017, 02:25:31 AM
Wow those are going to be pricey, seems like I'll only be able to afford one or two of these.

They are going to skyrocket in value. Silva's Pachyrhinosaurus and Allosaurus are about $150 a piece on ebay. I kinda regret not picking them up at Toyrus a few years back.

Halichoeres

There's a 4 inch human figure in each of the three ceratopsian concept art images that I'm guessing gives an idea of the planned size for the figures. 

Ah, I hadn't even noticed the little human! I'll have to play around with that to get some idea of the sizes.

I'm also more excited for Chasmosaurus, being pretty happy with my current Styracosaurus situation.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 13, 2017, 02:54:49 AM
They are going to skyrocket in value. Silva's Pachyrhinosaurus and Allosaurus are about $150 a piece on ebay. I kinda regret not picking them up at Toyrus a few years back.

I seem to remember David Silva saying on Facebook he didn't do that Allosaurus, he only did the Pachyrhinosaurus.  He had also designed a Styracosaurus for that Jurassic Park figure series, but it didn't go beyond concept art.  From what I remember, this was all in comments on a Facebook post on the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page.  I tried looking for it again but I haven't found it and I can't remember which post it was.

tanystropheus

Thank you for the correction. The Allosaurus is quite nice and I confused it with one of Silva's creations. I believe many of his models will eventually reach legacy status and increase in value over time. I could be wrong, though.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 13, 2017, 05:01:13 AM
There's a 4 inch human figure in each of the three ceratopsian concept art images that I'm guessing gives an idea of the planned size for the figures. 

I'm also more excited for Chasmosaurus, being pretty happy with my current Styracosaurus situation.
[/quote]

Very happy with our current Styracosaurus situation. There are more quality Styracosaurus models than Triceratops at this point.  Ever since Tyco released their Chasmo, I've been anticipating a mainstream Chasmo model. I look forward to David Silva's version, as well as Papo and WS (if and when they release them). The vastly (and, I do mean vastly) underrated WS Vagaceratops is a nice chasmosaurine but not the archetypal Chasmo that I've been waiting for (the release of Einio is a good sign, though)

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteGoing by that, it seems the Protoceratops will be around 33 centimetres long, while the Chasmosaurus will be around 25 centimetres long.  It would be good to hear what measurements someone else gets too.

I just re-did my calculations and you were right, though the Protoceratops is 30 instead of 33.

I'm posting my calculations this time to give visual aid. I also put my Papo Packy in for some scale since it's the only ceratopsian I have... wow, these will be big!

Centremeters: http://sta.sh/0ispmk78q6o
Inches: http://sta.sh/01cq7fopyxqy

Jose S.M.

Faelrin

I know I recall asking or mentioning something about those JP figures on the kickstarter, in one of the updates. It is true that he did not do the Allosaurus, just the Pachyrhinosaurus. The same Sara that did some of the package art, did the sculpts for Stegosaurus and Carnotaurus from that same line that failed to see the day of light, minus the Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus (to give some context to the quotes below). Here is the relevant part of my comment from then:

QuoteSo that's who was responsible for those awesome sculpts. Wish they would have been made. Still need to pick up that awesome Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus from that line as well (I heard you did those, right?)...

and here is the response I received:
Quoteyup those unreleased JP dino toys were done by Sara. As for myself, I sculpted the Pachyrhinosaurus but not the Allosaurus. That one was sculpted by my buddy Dave Proctor now with Boss Fight Studios.

BTW there is a sculpt for that Styracosaurus, but no official release or anything. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfOypQgWsAAumam.jpg I never did pick up those two, seeing how much I had spent on the raptors, and seeing as the ceratopsians are on their way, I may as well wait for the Pachyrhinosaurus from this line.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the Chasmosaurus too (aside from the other species I'm interested in). The only other articulated one I can think of is the JP one from the TLW line, and I honestly don't know of any other figures of that species.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Thanks for posting that, Faelrin.  I clearly wasn't remembering everything correctly!

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on March 13, 2017, 05:45:21 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 13, 2017, 02:54:49 AM

I seem to remember David Silva saying on Facebook he didn't do that Allosaurus, he only did the Pachyrhinosaurus.  He had also designed a Styracosaurus for that Jurassic Park figure series, but it didn't go beyond concept art.  From what I remember, this was all in comments on a Facebook post on the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page.  I tried looking for it again but I haven't found it and I can't remember which post it was.

There was a Styracosaurus proto from the same line that popped up a while back, it seemed very much in style with these Ceratopsians so I;m guessing it was Mr. Silva's work. So it certainly went a little beyond concept art, but not enough unfortunately. Here's a pic:

Looks good, doesn't it?

Faelrin

I posted a link to a pic of that one in my response above as well. Even for how good those JP ceratopsian sculpts were, I have a feeling this ceratopsian series is probably gonna blow those out of the water. And in a way, we'll finally be getting that highly articulated Styracosaurus, although remade and better no doubt.

Also there's a new update on the kickstarter page today, with pictures of the test shots. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1831944
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: