You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Still somewhat unsettled but if correct the claims for Titanoceratops would make it larger even at around five tons if substantiated
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 26, 2017, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2017, 08:08:41 PM
I think Blade's onto something. I think the whole concept of lots of shared parts will make it really difficult to actually make these all precisely to scale. Whereas all the dromaeosaurids he chose for the first series are similar in size, if not necessarily proportions, he decided to do basically the entire Ceratopsidae plus a few more distant relatives. That might be incompatible with the goal of making them all to scale if they're to share parts and also have accurate proportions.

On the other hand, I agree that making suggestions on things like wrist orientation isn't beyond the pale, but tone matters and it's hard to imagine that some of the more relentless criticism doesn't start to nettle after awhile. David has been nothing but gracious and cordial in my own interactions with him, and I don't think his response to that comment on facebook was as dismissive as initially painted.

If he doesn't want criticism (which I don't think is even the case, because he responded favorably to other critique comments), he shouldn't be marketing these as scientifically accurate. This is no different than the kind of criticism we regularly throw towards CollectA, Safari, etc.

I think the Machairasaurus size issue was just a goof. It's perfectly the right size if he thought the scale bar in the paper/Wikipedia was 1m instead of 50cm, because it's skull is about 2m long when it should be 1m. The hand issue is not common knowledge and almost all reconstructions get it wrong, so searching Google Images will create that mistake.

I'm not saying don't criticize. I'm just saying there's a reasonable way to do it and an obnoxious one. I'm not claiming that fb commenter specifically was obnoxious, either, but in general I have a low opinion of smugness and snark, which it's hard to deny pervade dinosaur enthusiast communities.

On the hands, do you mean the posture suggested by Paul & Christiansen?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Simon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 26, 2017, 05:22:12 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 26, 2017, 05:17:46 PM
What is the largest ceratopsian? Triceratops?

I believe Eotriceratops is the largest.

I believe (based on skull size alone, which is not definitive due to different body types of different animals) that its a tie between Eotriceratops and Triceratops Horridus.  You must remember that 8+ foot long T. Horridus skull ("Triceratops Maximus" was its nickname for years) at the Brigham Young University Museum that was dug up in the 1960s.  I think that it matches the Eotriceratops' skull in length....in life both animals likely had heads 9 feet long, and could have weighed 10-15 tons.

Simon

Picture 1 is the skull of "Eotriceratops"; Picture 2 is the ultra-large T Horridus skull (Triceratops Maximus) a the BYU Museum.  Both are about 8.5' long:

Derek.McManus

Well there is s saying about a picture conveying a thousand words! 😀

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2017, 11:05:34 PM

I believe (based on skull size alone, which is not definitive due to different body types of different animals) that its a tie between Eotriceratops and Triceratops Horridus.  You must remember that 8+ foot long T. Horridus skull ("Triceratops Maximus" was its nickname for years) at the Brigham Young University Museum that was dug up in the 1960s.  I think that it matches the Eotriceratops' skull in length....in life both animals likely had heads 9 feet long, and could have weighed 10-15 tons.

I've never heard of that specimen. However, I believe Tanystropheus meant "which is larger going by their average sizes". In that case I always thought it was either Eotriceratops or Titanoceratops.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Simon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 27, 2017, 03:04:00 AM
Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2017, 11:05:34 PM

I've never heard of that specimen. However, I believe Tanystropheus meant "which is larger going by their average sizes". In that case I always thought it was either Eotriceratops or Titanoceratops.

Are there enough specimens of the latter two to even get a handle on average sizes?  If we have many, many T Horridus specimens (trending towards average because few animals get to "trophy" size), but only one or two chance discoveries of specimens of "trophy bulls" of the latter ("Eo" & "Titano"), it doesn't establish an average baseline for the latter to compare to T Horridus.

Sim

From the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page:

Current progress on the Beasts of the Mesozoic Xenoceratops sculpt. Having blast working on this guy.

Roselaar

Wow, that looks awesome! Can't wait to see it all finished and coloured. :)

CityRaptor

Looks good so far.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be a "Build a Ceratopsian set", too.  You know, for a science fiction double feature, building yourself a creature!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Faelrin

Wow it looks big. I can't wait to see how this one is finished and the others to come.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Simon on March 26, 2017, 11:08:58 PM
Picture 1 is the skull of "Eotriceratops"; Picture 2 is the ultra-large T Horridus skull (Triceratops Maximus) a the BYU Museum.  Both are about 8.5' long:

That second one is actually T. prorsus. Check out the characteristic forward nasal horn. IIRC it has been included as T. prorsus in a few recent papers too.

And yeah you can't compare the average size of Triceratops which is known from hundreds of specimens of all shapes and sizes to Eotriceratops and Titanoceratops which are only known from one each. That's just rigging the statistics. The average size of all three would likely be about the same, we're just comparing slight differences in maximumus size is small statistical samples, which is just as meaningless as when people do this to compare T. rex vs. Giganotosaurus etc. They're all around the same size and their differences are not significant.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 27, 2017, 09:31:01 PM
Looks good so far.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be a "Build a Ceratopsian set", too.  You know, for a science fiction double feature, building yourself a creature!

Oh Rocky!

I dropped a couple exclusive ideas on David myself,  A Dino-Riders-like accessory set , and an Agathaumas of course.. include those options in a build a kit set and we could get some really fun critters.

ZoPteryx

Look'n nice so far!  I do hope the feet get fixed, though.  Perhaps he could just include a separate set of front feet in the accurate posture, like how the raptors got extra toes.

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 27, 2017, 09:31:01 PM

Hmm, now you've got me thinking about putting the ceratopsian heads on the raptor bodies!  >:D

Faelrin

New update with video on the kickstarter campaign showing the test figures. Also it must be mentioned, there will be a delay for the shipping date (not likely going to happen in May). Honestly I'd rather production take its time for the best possible figures. This could also mean more time to get more figures from this line, as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DakotaDinos

Quote from: Sim on March 27, 2017, 08:22:51 PM
From the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page:

Current progress on the Beasts of the Mesozoic Xenoceratops sculpt. Having blast working on this guy.

WOW, looks so great!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Faelrin on March 29, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
New update with video on the kickstarter campaign showing the test figures. Also it must be mentioned, there will be a delay for the shipping date (not likely going to happen in May). Honestly I'd rather production take its time for the best possible figures. This could also mean more time to get more figures from this line, as well.
The delay didn't surprise me.  I've yet to back a Kickstarter that shipped "on time" lol.  I'd rather they take their time to get great product than rush out something that ends up bad.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ItsTwentyBelow

Agreed, it is definitely to be expected that any project might experience delays. It will be well worth the wait, since we'll receive a better finished product in the end.

At least things are in motion. I wonder when they're hoping to have them ready to ship at this point.

CrypticPrism

Haha, my mom went to art school with the guy so I get a velociraptor

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

ImADinosaurRARR

NEW IMAGES!!!!!

Articulation looks wonderful! Front legs are nicely splayed as well ;P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: