You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on August 16, 2016, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 16, 2016, 04:52:58 PM
New image of liheraptor.

So much awesome! Don't care about the sudden negativity towards the coloring that's been happening. That looks so beautiful to me!

Chris

Is there negativity about the colors of Linheraptor? I haven't noticed it, at least not on this forum. Or is it on the Facebook page? Anyway, I think Linheraptor is absolutely beautfiul!

No not towards Linheraptor specifically, just towards the coloring after actual birds in the accuracy thread. Doesn't bother me in the least. Linheraptor is one of the best looking yet!  8)

Chris

I also really like how the Linheraptor is looking!  I don't agree with the negativity towards the plumage colouration.  I made a new post about this in the accuracy thread (Reply #54): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4882.msg143694#msg143694

Faelrin

I wasn't sure if I was going to be a fan of this one from the package art (I'm not a huge fan of yellow), but I actually do like how it turned out in the end. It's almost safe for me to say that I (will) like all of them now, though of course not get them all.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on August 16, 2016, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 16, 2016, 04:52:58 PM
New image of liheraptor.

So much awesome! Don't care about the sudden negativity towards the coloring that's been happening. That looks so beautiful to me!

Chris

Is there negativity about the colors of Linheraptor? I haven't noticed it, at least not on this forum. Or is it on the Facebook page? Anyway, I think Linheraptor is absolutely beautfiul!

No not towards Linheraptor specifically, just towards the coloring after actual birds in the accuracy thread. Doesn't bother me in the least. Linheraptor is one of the best looking yet!  8)

Chris

Oh, that! Yeah I read that, but I really don't mind the bird colors on these raptors. It makes them look more like actual animals! :)

Flaffy

Derek.McManus

I'm finding it hard to resist the charms of that handsome dromaeosaurus.

I'm not a particular 'raptor' fan but I have to agree with this comment! Very impressive models!

Silvanusaurus

terrorchicken

so the desert pack all represent species that would have all lived at the same time? (Late Cretaceous, Mongolia?)

Derek.McManus

Thylacosmilus

Terror Chicken, that's a complex question!

I prefer to say they are the "Cretaceous Gobi Desert Gang", because all of them were found in that place in Cretaceous, but in different formations:

Bayan Mandahu Formation – Velociraptor Olmoskae and Linheraptor
Djadochta Formation – Velociraptor Mongoliensis and Tsaagan
Nemegt Formation –  Adasaurus and Mononykus 

(Am I  sure about that? No, because wikipedia can be very tricky!)

Appalachiosaurus

They are all from the same place, but within a span of about 10 million years. Some being older than others.

Ironically, despite being the "desert pack", Adasaurus lived in a wetlands environment.

Shadowknight1

It's getting harder and harder to not throw in a fourth raptor or more!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Fembrogon

Quote from: Victoria B on August 16, 2016, 07:30:54 PM
Sounds to me like you're paying by using your bank account rather than PayPal. Bank account is an option when you check out. I'm still 99.9% sure that Amazon does not take PayPal.
I'm double checking my Amazon account... And you're right. My mistake. :-[

Victoria's Cantina

I finally went in and worked on my backer kit, then I found myself wanting more than the four raptors and one environment I had already pledged for. I might have to cave and grab at least a fifth raptor.

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 18, 2016, 03:54:53 AM
Quote from: Victoria B on August 16, 2016, 07:30:54 PM
Sounds to me like you're paying by using your bank account rather than PayPal. Bank account is an option when you check out. I'm still 99.9% sure that Amazon does not take PayPal.
I'm double checking my Amazon account... And you're right. My mistake. :-[

Hehe, no worries!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 17, 2016, 06:24:01 PM
so the desert pack all represent species that would have all lived at the same time? (Late Cretaceous, Mongolia?)

The age of these is not well known since there aren't any volcanic sediments to directly date. Based on the formations we find, we know V. mongolienis lived side by side with Tsaagan, and V. osmolskae lived more or less side by side with Linheraptor. The question is how far apart those sets of critters are. Some think one set is slightly earlier or later than another, some think they all lived at the same time, just in different locations. People who support the same time hypothesis usually also think osmolskae and mongoliensis are synonyms and Tsaagan and Linheraptor are synonyms - there really are no differences between them other than (possibly) being a million years or so apart.

Adasaurus lived much later than all of them, in the early Maastrichtian. And yeah, it didn't really live in the desert, but that area is a desert today. In the Masstrichtian age, that part of Mongolia (preserved in the Nemegt formation) was wooded wetlands where things like Avimimus, Gallimimus, Gigantoraptor, Therizinosaurus, Terbosaurus, and Deinocheirus lived. Here are some reconstructions of that environment:

Adasaurus probably should go with Balaur and Zhenyuanlong in a "Forest Gang" :)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 18, 2016, 10:45:12 AM
Based on the formations we find, we know V. mongolienis lived side by side with Tsaagan, and V. osmolskae lived more or less side by side with Linheraptor.

Makes me wonder if they filled subtly different niches that we can't possibly know about from fossils. Having two similar small carnivores living side by side in the same ecosystem would mean they'd compete otherwise, which isn't impossible of course, but it's likely that they'd have found some way of avoiding it.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 18, 2016, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 18, 2016, 10:45:12 AM
Based on the formations we find, we know V. mongolienis lived side by side with Tsaagan, and V. osmolskae lived more or less side by side with Linheraptor.

Makes me wonder if they filled subtly different niches that we can't possibly know about from fossils. Having two similar small carnivores in the same ecosystem would mean they'd compete otherwise, which isn't impossible of course, but it's likely that they'd have found some way of avoiding it.

I agree. Either that, or there could be small chronological separation that we can't detect, and one evolved into the other (maybe with some overlap like humans and Neanderthals).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Silvanusaurus

I just had a thought. It would have been amazing if the figures came with a swappable set of unarticulated arms/wings that were folded in to the body. Several of the package art images show the raptors with wings that are folded and conforming to their bodies, in a way that I can only presume is impossible with the figures themselves. It would have been incredibly cool to be able to display them in a relaxed pose, rather than having their wings constantly splayed out in an action stance. It might have been hard to ahcieve with this format, but I'd love to see this more often on feathered and winged dinosaur figures by any company.

Dobber

I'm not sure if many of any of these species were able to bend their wrists in such a way to slow the wings to conform to their bodies the way modern birds do. Or am I wrong?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

terrorchicken

so when I go to the Kickstarter page and look at my pledge "invoice" page I only get the velociraptor listed but when I got the backerkit survey I added an accessory pack. Where does the pack show up? its not listed on the view your pledge page along side the raptor.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Dobber on August 18, 2016, 10:08:35 PM
I'm not sure if many of any of these species were able to bend their wrists in such a way to slow the wings to conform to their bodies the way modern birds do. Or am I wrong?

Chris

I don't know anything about the science, I'm just basing it on the package artwork, in which around half of the images depict the raptors with their wings folded in. Although they are also depicted like this by artists such as Emily Willoughby and John Conway.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: