You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

IIRC it was mentioned at some point that the prototypes aren't durable enough to display the full range of motion and had to be articulated slowly.

Sim

There actually is a video that shows the articulation!  I watched it before I backed the Kickstarter some months ago and had forgotten about it.  I just re-watched it and it looks like the arms/wings of the figures can indeed be posed in the folded back pose like Emily Willoughby's Deinonychus! :)  As mentioned above the video:
QuoteKeep in mind though that this is just the resin prototype, so it's a little fragile and unlike the actual toy, doesn't hold together well. However, it gives a good idea of what you can expect with the final product in terms of movement. If all goes as planned, the toy will actually move better than this. (The final production figures will be mostly PVC with ABS ball joints and some flexible rubber parts such as the neck collar, primary wings,tongue and a bendable tail w/ wire.)

The video can be seen on the Kickstarter, under the section "And how is this better than what I already have?": https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/description

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Sim on August 20, 2016, 11:26:12 PM
There actually is a video that shows the articulation!  I watched it before I backed the Kickstarter some months ago and had forgotten about it.  I just re-watched it and it looks like the arms/wings of the figures can indeed be posed in the folded back pose like Emily Willoughby's Deinonychus! :)  As mentioned above the video:
QuoteKeep in mind though that this is just the resin prototype, so it's a little fragile and unlike the actual toy, doesn't hold together well. However, it gives a good idea of what you can expect with the final product in terms of movement. If all goes as planned, the toy will actually move better than this. (The final production figures will be mostly PVC with ABS ball joints and some flexible rubber parts such as the neck collar, primary wings,tongue and a bendable tail w/ wire.)

The video can be seen on the Kickstarter, under the section "And how is this better than what I already have?": https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/description

Ah, thanks, the video is quite enlightening! (I think I saw it way back at the beginning of the project, but I completely forgot.)

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Paleo SH

They are all very beautiful , realistic and amazing however do you all think with an increase in the interest of articulated dino model would one day replace the more conventional dino models in the market ?
This might happen in the near future.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Paleo SH on August 21, 2016, 02:54:15 PM
They are all very beautiful , realistic and amazing however do you all think with an increase in the interest of articulated dino model would one day replace the more conventional dino models in the market ?
This might happen in the near future.
I doubt they will ever completely replace solid models, but hopefully it will prove to Hasbro Mattel that they should do a good job with their articulated dinosaurs.

RobinGoodfellow

I made my final decision; my flock will be: Velociraptor m. / Dromaeosaurus a. / Tsaagan m. / Saurornitholestes s. / Balaur b. / Linheraptor e.
What about your choice?

Flaffy

Zhenyuanlong suni/Balaur bondoc, Buitreraptor gonzalezorum, Velociraptor mongoliensis. That's my flock of fabulousness  ;)

Flaffy

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 22, 2016, 06:02:08 PM
New image of pyroraptor

Kind of looks like Dromaeosaurus' less attractive little brother to me. 

pylraster

I just hope that the joints won't get loose quick. Hasbro's Marvel and Star Wars figures actually have a way around this; the joints are ratcheted.  I hope that's also the case for these dinos. My Resaurus figures eventually couldn't stand up due to loose joints.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: pylraster on August 22, 2016, 07:38:05 PM
I just hope that the joints won't get loose quick. Hasbro's Marvel and Star Wars figures actually have a way around this; the joints are ratcheted.  I hope that's also the case for these dinos. My Resaurus figures eventually couldn't stand up due to loose joints.

I guess that's a risk of using this format... It would definitely be a shame if we had to be super restrictive in moving them around in order to preserve their tightness.

Derek.McManus

I suspect that the joints should stand a reasonable amount of manipulation, after all they are collectors models and not toys that would be extensively played with on a regular basis!

pylraster

Marvel Legends figures are not that restricted even with ratchets. The ratchets do help hold extreme poses. 

tyrantqueen

Loose joints can be retightened with clear nail varnish, acrylic varnish or Pledge/Future/Klear floor polish. A well known trick among action figure collectors.

empire3569

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 22, 2016, 08:53:46 PM
Loose joints can be retightened with clear nail varnish, acrylic varnish or Pledge/Future/Klear floor polish. A well known trick among action figure collectors.

Was going to say the same thing; I have used the Pledge floor polish on several of my NECA aliens and it works very well!

Paleo SH

I have placed orders for 6 beasts:
velociraptor m
Atrociraptor m
Tsaagan m
pyroraptor o
Zhenyuanlong
Adasaurus

prefer to call them "Beautiful bird like dinos": colourful yet realistic in contrast to other brightly coloured but fake looking dinos in the market.

Flaffy

New image of ZHENYUANLONG!!!!  ;D

Previous Zhenyuanlong

Very pleased with the new one! But is it just me, or is the new zhenyuanlong head a little too flat? Still, I love the new detailed white tuff and the purple highlights on the edge of the feathers.
What does our forum members think of the new Zhen?  ;)

Faelrin

I really like this one more, especially the new wings. The only thing I was hoping for was the pink snout like in the art, but that's a minor nitpick/personal preference kind of thing. I wonder if the fan vote raptors or accessory packs are next now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Silvanusaurus

Those wings, man. These are going to be on Balaur now too, aren't they? I'm hyped to see that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: