You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Brontozaurus on September 01, 2016, 11:11:55 AM
Now that all the raptors are revealed, I've decided to get Tsaagan, Dromaeosaurus, Balaur, FC Pyroraptor, and the desert pack. It was tough, but I realised those were the three mainline raptors I wanted to get. I like Pyroraptor the most out of the FC figures cause the black and orange looks appropriate for the fire thief (plus that card art is amazing). And the desert pack has Mononykus in it, which is pretty unique as far as dinosaur toys go.
I envy that you are able to settle on the raptors, I'm still banging my head against the wall, struggling in the torture of limited funds and shelf space. (cries in a corner)

Derek.McManus

I feel your pain but at least we are spoiled for choice!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 01, 2016, 03:30:45 PM
Now that all the raptors are revealed, I've decided to get Tsaagan, Dromaeosaurus, Balaur, FC Pyroraptor, and the desert pack. It was tough, but I realised those were the three mainline raptors I wanted to get. I like Pyroraptor the most out of the FC figures cause the black and orange looks appropriate for the fire thief (plus that card art is amazing). And the desert pack has Mononykus in it, which is pretty unique as far as dinosaur toys go.
I envy that you are able to settle on the raptors, I'm still banging my head against the wall, struggling in the torture of limited funds and shelf space. (cries in a corner)

Don't worry... be strong... you are not alone... we can all get through this. We just need to stay positive.

I have now replaced Balaur with the Hornbill Zhen, so my definites will be that and the Velociraptor as my main raptor. Now I only have to decide whether to fork out the extra salad for the standard Dromaeosaurus or not. While I do find the small raptors in the accessory sets appealing, I'm not really interested in scenery pieces, so I can't justify spending that much just for the little figure.

Flaffy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 01, 2016, 07:32:48 PM

Don't worry... be strong... you are not alone... we can all get through this. We just need to stay positive.

I have now replaced Balaur with the Hornbill Zhen, so my definites will be that and the Velociraptor as my main raptor. Now I only have to decide whether to fork out the extra salad for the standard Dromaeosaurus or not. While I do find the small raptors in the accessory sets appealing, I'm not really interested in scenery pieces, so I can't justify spending that much just for the little figure.
I'll try... We can do this...
David said that he might make a set which consist of the 6" raptors only, but it is not confirmed yet. We'll wait and see what David does. ^-^

Brontozaurus

Again, it wasn't easy to limit myself (I was considering Adasaurus and regular Pyroraptor), but I took a few factors into account to settle. I was inspired by ItsTwentyBelow to limit myself to one representative from each region for the main raptors. After that I thought about what each brought to the table as a dinosaur toy, aside from the choice of genera. To me Tsagaan looked like the best out of the three initial pledge raptors, and since I was pretty on the fence about Atrociraptor I swapped to just Tsagaan, freeing up funds for a custom raptor pack. Balaur looks the most unique toy in the line, and the chance to get an articulated toy of a Mesozoic bird-thing was too good to pass up. And Dromaeosaurus is rare amongst dinosaur toys in acknowledging that they didn't all live in tropical environments, instead being reconstructed in the snow for the mainline version.

Honestly if you're having trouble deciding, limiting yourself might help. Like, what will look best among your collection? What will stand out? What's unique? And what genera do you like the most?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shadowknight1

How they'd look together is why I settled for Adasaurus over kestralDromaeo.  Adasaurus's colors aren't super vibrant like the kestral, so it won't draw too much attention to itself.  Velociraptor, Zhenyuanlong, Adasaurus, and Microraptor should look pretty decent together.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Flaffy

I don't know why but the adasaurus is growing on me. I was never fond of the tail, but now that I revisit it, it just has this charm to it.  :P
Still struggling between Zhenyuanlong and Balaur, both will have very similar sculpts, and I would like my selection to be as diverse as possible. (sighs)
Another battle between V. mongoliensis and S. Langstoni. I love the velociraptor's accuracy and colours, but I also like saurornitholestes feather highlights and "mohawk".
Probably gonna drop the accessory pack, unless the sculpt of the 6" raptors blows me away, until then, I will save myself some money.

terrorchicken

anyone else getting an accessory pack that doesn't match with their raptor's base? I'm getting velociraptor and the forest pack b/c I like prehistoric trees/foliage and the desert accessories dont really appeal to me, but the dessert set is actually the one that matches the velociraptor's base. So its not gonna look good when I attach its base to the accessory set's base. I'm thinking of getting a forest raptor(if I can get extra funds for it) so I can at least have a raptor with a base matching the forest set.

also does anyone know if the raptors can be posed on the accessory set's base themselves, like is there a hole in the base you can put the raptor's rod into, b/c that would kinda solve my problem, lol.

postsaurischian

Microraptor is one of my favourite Dinosaur species. So the Forest Accessory Pack is a must-have for me :), no matter which Beast of the Mesozoic fits in or not (I'm always trying to avoid the term "raptor" which is just sooo wrong). I also couldn't resist Mononykus and pre-ordered the Desert Accessory Pack. If I had a cash cow, I would also have ordered the complete run of figures and accessory packs.
Although I have never been a fan of articulated action figures, this series amazes me!

Faelrin

@terrorchicken Going off of the accessory pack concept art, it seems there will be a posing rod hole on each pack's base, and a posing rod too. So that may solve your issue.

I think I'm really positive on getting the two Dromaeosaurus figures with an accessory pack (most likely the mountain one), and the kickstarter exclusive Velociraptor. I'm not quite sure about adding on any others, though I like most of them. I think after seeing the pack prototypes, I can be a bit more sure if I want to add any more.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 01, 2016, 07:58:27 PM
David said that he might make a set which consist of the 6" raptors only, but it is not confirmed yet. We'll wait and see what David does. ^-^

I wasn't aware of that! I'm buying them mostly for the little animals, Buitreraptor and Mononykus particularly, but it is a lot of money. I'm torn because there are not a lot of well-made prehistoric plants on the market, but at 7" the Araucaria trees will probably make more sense with 1:40 dinos than with these guys.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

Quote from: Faelrin on September 03, 2016, 12:06:31 AM
@terrorchicken Going off of the accessory pack concept art, it seems there will be a posing rod hole on each pack's base, and a posing rod too. So that may solve your issue.

cool! I thought I saw the rod & hole in the concept art too, but I wasnt sure if thats actually what it was...

I still wouldnt mind another raptor though, lol.

Sim

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 03, 2016, 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on September 03, 2016, 12:06:31 AM

cool! I thought I saw the rod & hole in the concept art too, but I wasnt sure if thats actually what it was...

I still wouldnt mind another raptor though, lol.

Yeah, the accessory pack bases will have a hole for a posing rod.  A posing rod will also be included in the accessory pack which will be longer than the rod that comes with each of the main raptor figures.  I think I remember David saying the longer rod would work well for jumping poses.  These things can be seen in the first image in this Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1582559

terrorchicken

yep I see them a bit clearer now.
I wonder why all the little theropods are sculpted running? Are they meant to be fleeing from the bigger raptors?
It would have been cool to have had one with its back to the ground as if its in a fight trying to defend itself.

Sim

I'm planning to get three of the accessory packs, and while I'm looking forward to their environments, the little theropods they come with are the reason I'm getting them.  I know I wouldn't like it if the ones I wanted were sculpted in a pose with their back on the ground...

In that Kickstarter update, David said this about the little theropods: "These will have limited articulation due to their size.  At the moment I can only commit to neck, tail, and shoulder movement, but if I can work more in during the sculpting process I will."

I think the little theropods are intended to be action figures that can be their own figures, as well as going alongside the larger raptors.  I think the pose they will be sculpted in will be one that is versatile, allowing poses like running, walking, jumping, climbing, and in Microraptor's case flying too.  When I asked him, David confirmed these figures can be removed from their bases.  So perhaps you'll be able to pose them fighting with their back on the ground as well?

LophoLeeVT

what are these accesony packs? and does somebody have pics of them?
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Flaffy

Sim

Quote from: raptor64870 on September 05, 2016, 04:57:24 AM
what are these accesony packs? and does somebody have pics of them?

You can see more about them and all the concept art for them in this Kickstarter update I linked to a few posts earlier: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1582559

terrorchicken

QuoteIn that Kickstarter update, David said this about the little theropods: "These will have limited articulation due to their size.  At the moment I can only commit to neck, tail, and shoulder movement, but if I can work more in during the sculpting process I will."

I didn't even think these were going to be articulated!
And the defensive ground posture was just a "wouldnt it be cool" idea I threw out, not something that I was serious about.  ;D
Boy David is really going all out on these with the detail. I cant wait to see the prototype pics for these!

Flaffy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: