You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thylacosmilus

Honestly , I think the designs he presented originally to the " accessory pack figures",  at least, in relation to the head shape, were much better than those presented in the package art:

Because of this, I still have high hopes for these two models.

Flaffy

Of course they are much more accurate. These drawings were based off the skeletal reconstruction directly, as you can see, the poses are identical.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on September 15, 2016, 12:56:08 AM
I don't know why the artist made Buitreraptor's snout look like that.  Searching for Buitreraptor on the internet, such as on Google images or its Wikipedia page, will immediately bring up images that show its snout doesn't look like that.  I agree that the one in the package art looks more like Austroraptor than Buitreraptor.  I find it really weird because the artist clearly puts a lot of effort and skill into his package art which mostly looks amazing.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dinoguy2.  I do think it's best to be honest about these things.

I think it's s mistake to think the artist searched for anything. There's no way these were produced with even a quick glance at any sources or even the original concepts. They were done either from memory or from some inaccurate kids book or something. For a line billing itself as having scientific accuracy as a major selling point to so blatantly have done zero research into the art is a disgrace.

Hopefully the actual figures are better, - and hopefully David doesn't rely on this art as a reference (the body proportions are all wrong too, the head is just most noticeable).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 15, 2016, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 15, 2016, 12:56:08 AM
I don't know why the artist made Buitreraptor's snout look like that.  Searching for Buitreraptor on the internet, such as on Google images or its Wikipedia page, will immediately bring up images that show its snout doesn't look like that.  I agree that the one in the package art looks more like Austroraptor than Buitreraptor.  I find it really weird because the artist clearly puts a lot of effort and skill into his package art which mostly looks amazing.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dinoguy2.  I do think it's best to be honest about these things.

I think it's s mistake to think the artist searched for anything. There's no way these were produced with even a quick glance at any sources or even the original concepts. They were done either from memory or from some inaccurate kids book or something. For a line billing itself as having scientific accuracy as a major selling point to so blatantly have done zero research into the art is a disgrace.

Hopefully the actual figures are better, - and hopefully David doesn't rely on this art as a reference (the body proportions are all wrong too, the head is just most noticeable).

I'm sure it's just a case of subpar package artwork. As mentioned earlier, the art for the main raptors often has issues which aren't in the toys themselves. The figures in the accessory sets are most likely going to be more like the initial drawings than the artwork.

(although I have to say, I am digging the emu colours on the Mononykus)
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Flaffy

Dinoguy2

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 15, 2016, 07:09:22 PM
Image of unique and shared parts of the raptors

Well that's slightly depressing. Why couldn't they switch the lower legs if Saurornitholestes and Dromaeosaurus/Zhenyuanlong and make all three of them a LOT more accurate?

Edit: never mind, the overlap made it seem like Saurornitholestes les were a lot longer than they really are. Still, a shame the only difference between all the parts is styling rather than proportions or length.

Flaffy

Still bummed that the two types of tibia were a wasted opportunity to make one short and one long.
Will David consider fixing the tibia on a second production run? He mentioned that he might change the wings of the velociraptor in the second run, he also stated that he might do new colour schemes for the existing 'raptors' on the second run. Hopefully he'll consider fixing the tibia.
I might even hold off dumping all my money into the first run, we'll see.

Victoria's Cantina

Decided to make some sacrifices. I'd previously backed Tsaagan and added on Velociraptor O., Dromaeosaurus, Linheraptor, and the forest accessory pack. I didn't want to spend more money, but I really wanted to add the FC Sauronitholestes and FC Pyroraptor. So, since Velociraptor O. is the same sculpt as Velociraptor M. (and despite the fact that I REALLY love the blue coloring), I decided to switch to backing Velociraptor M. I then dropped Velociraptor O. and the forest accessory pack. Instead, I added FC Sauronitholestes and Zhenyuanlong. I wanted FC Pyroraptor but decided that since the coloring was somewhat similar to Velociraptor M., Zhenyuanlong would probably be a better option since it looks nothing like the other raptors I was already getting. My difference is $10.

I hope that's the right move for me. I kind of feel bad for not getting Velociraptor O. though, haha. And the accessory pack would have been cool but all things considered, the raptors look so amazing and that I think I'd ultimately be happier with an extra one.

Flaffy

I missed my chance on backing the KS, didn't know how KS worked back then and made the stupid decision of not backing...
Even if I wanted the Velociraptor o. (which I do) I sadly can't pre-order it, oh well, at least I save myself some money. :)

Faelrin

This makes me think I should stock up on those blue Velociraptors, since they're only exclusive to backers, and I doubt the store will have them later. However I still want the ones that I want. I guess I can wait and see. As long as the budget is good by beginning of next month, then I don't really want to push more then $120, maybe $150 if I can. I've already got $170 splurged down from backing earlier, though a good chunk of that is for the print. Part of me is also wondering if I should just hold off on the regular Velociraptor until the store next year, to save money for other things I want. Of course depending on how the accessory packs turn out, my mind may end up changing again regarding figures I get (or the packs themselves). I also wouldn't be against trading a blue Velociraptor for an accessory pack, if any members here desperately want one and didn't or couldn't back the kickstarter, though I'm not going to guarantee anything just yet because I'm waiting to see the packs done first (to know which I want the most). Only time will tell. For now though I still want both the regular and blue exclusive Velociraptors, the regular and fan vote Dromaeosaurus, and the regular Zhenyuanlong the most. Maybe others (including the accessory packs) now or later.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Rain

I don't remember if it was mentioned or not but are the accessory set raptors articulated as well?

Thylacosmilus

Yes, they will be articulated, but the articulation will be more limited (jaw, base of the neck, hips, shoulders, and base of the tail).

https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/photos/a.125819777433236.23596.113487525333128/1464985586849975/?type=3&theater

Flaffy

My question to David:
"David, would you consider making more types of tibia on the second run?"
His reply:
"I will definitely take that into consideration."

This just made things a lot harder for me...
Should I take the risk and wait for the second run?
or should I order on the first run? Decisions, decisions...

Dinoguy2

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 16, 2016, 02:40:37 PM
My question to David:
"David, would you consider making more types of tibia on the second run?"
His reply:
"I will definitely take that into consideration."

This just made things a lot harder for me...
Should I take the risk and wait for the second run?
or should I order on the first run? Decisions, decisions...

Makes me feel better about changing my order to include only the ones that are already accurate in their proportions;)

Flaffy

6 inch raptor sculpting progress, all four. No parts will be shared.

Faelrin

Those little critters are turning out cute.  Going to be real hard for me to pick them when the time comes, since I like all of them.

And I ended up saving money, by switching my pledge level to the Velociraptor mongoliensis figure instead of the print. Although, I added the print back on after, its still going to save me about $10 bucks in the way, by not paying the additional $5 from the print, and the additional $5 from the $15 pledge upgrade from the print, instead paying the $10. For now I just submitted the survey with just the pledge, blue Velociraptor, and the regular Dromaeosaurus, as my addon's, and postcard set 1 and 2 to eat up the additional $20 I had left over (all this out of the $170 I started with). When the time comes I should be able to add on the fan vote Dromaeosaurus, and regular Zhenyuanlong, plus at least 2 accessory packs, give or take all of the postcard sets. Worst case scenario, I'll dump the print and postcards to make more room for affording the others.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dobber

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 16, 2016, 05:52:59 PM
6 inch raptor sculpting progress, all four. No parts will be shared.

Man I wish those little figures would be available separately. :(

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Flaffy

David mentioned that he might do a set that consists on the four 6" 'raptors' only.
So far, I'll most likely wait for that set as I'm not too interested in purchasing an entire accessory pack just for the mini figure.

Dobber

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 16, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
David mentioned that he might do a set that consists on the four 6" 'raptors' only.
So far, I'll most likely wait for that set as I'm not too interested in purchasing an entire accessory pack just for the mini figure.

I had asked him a few months ago he said he didn't have any plans to release them at the current time. Maybe if enough people want them he'd reconsider.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 15, 2016, 09:03:03 PM
I missed my chance on backing the KS, didn't know how KS worked back then and made the stupid decision of not backing...
Even if I wanted the Velociraptor o. (which I do) I sadly can't pre-order it, oh well, at least I save myself some money. :)

Darn. That makes me think I should go ahead and add it! Haha

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: