You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I'm not sure if Microraptor was able to climb or not, but either way I really like the perspective the art has got going on, and the light coming through the trees in the distance. I think I make out that it does have the two long tail feathers when looking at it in the larger size, but the end of the tail gets cut off either way of course. I really like how the art turned out.

I also asked about the addition of a fern cluster as an additional accessory to the mountain pack on the kickstarter. I explained why I came up with the idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be either (for production or design). From what I've researched so far, I'm getting the idea ferns were common during and around the Dinosaur Park formation's time, and I'm assuming the mountain pack has some basis on it, which is why I thought about this and thought to ask on it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Faelrin on September 20, 2016, 06:49:22 PM
I'm not sure if Microraptor was able to climb or not, but either way I really like the perspective the art has got going on, and the light coming through the trees in the distance. I think I make out that it does have the two long tail feathers when looking at it in the larger size, but the end of the tail gets cut off either way of course. I really like how the art turned out.

I also asked about the addition of a fern cluster as an additional accessory to the mountain pack on the kickstarter. I explained why I came up with the idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be either (for production or design). From what I've researched so far, I'm getting the idea ferns were common during and around the Dinosaur Park formation's time, and I'm assuming the mountain pack has some basis on it, which is why I thought about this and thought to ask on it.

Even if it could climb, there's no way it could splay its legs out like a squirrel, despite what the BANDits say...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Manatee

Quote from: Dobber on September 20, 2016, 10:10:02 PM
BANDit's?

Chris

BAND stands for Birds are Not Dinosaurs, and BANDits are people, sometimes paleontologists, such as Alan Feduccia and Theagarten Lingham-Soliar who believe that to be true.

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Flaffy

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 20, 2016, 05:33:58 PM
Does the BotM zhenyuanlong really have a super-short tibia compared to the actual fossil?
This angle of the BotM zhenyuanlong make the tibia seem longer than the previous images.
The secondaries look awkwardly short still.
Leg and wing stretched out.

Flaffy

New image of WIP buitreraptor sculpt.

Does the BotM zhenyuanlong really have a super-short tibia compared to the actual fossil?
This angle of the BotM zhenyuanlong make the tibia seem longer than the previous images.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 21, 2016, 03:21:24 AM

Still too short. Compare to my photoshopped version in the accuracy thread. The lower leg should be fully twice as long as the upper leg.

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Faelrin

They are or do seem shorter then what they should be (at least going off of the pictures of the fossil, or rather at least how I'm interpreting seeing pictures of the fossil, and from what I recall of seeing the prototypes on display at JerseyFest, as well as the images of the prototypes). Then again this is to be expected from the shared parts. I have learned that this is a particular delicate issue regarding this, especially in regards to dromaeosaurids. Some accuracy is/has been lost in translation due to cutting down production costs from sharing parts. However I have no qualms about that as these are the very thing I've been waiting for all these years (detailed and highly articulated dinosaur action figures), since the Kenner days of Jurassic Park dinosaur toys, and I'm really glad David has taken the initiative to use his talent and/or skill to try to get these made. However I can understand why others may be disappointed regarding this, especially if its a favorite species that is still a bit "off" to what its supposed to be, and may be left waiting longer for such a figure/depiction to show up. 

Not to mention the word choice of "accuracy" can be interpreted in different ways. Perhaps he intended accuracy to mean that these are feathered depictions and more modern reconstructions used for these figures, rather then with the scaly and pronated wrists as so many are depicted in toys and elsewhere? This, versus them being scientifically accurate as they can be, with extensive and up to date research, like what Saurian is doing. Though I'm sure he has done some research at the very least, and he has been very generous in going back and correcting things, let alone taking/using/going through with many of the suggestions he has been given.  Anyways, sorry for the long thing, and I hope I didn't push any buttons by posting any of this. I apologize if it came across that way, as that was not my intent. I just tend to get very philosophical with my thinking and posting at times. Speculating, one could say.

Anyways, I wonder what this means for the ceratopsians line. Will they be able to fair better with sharing parts? I'm no expert on these animals, but they seem to have a similar body plan. Can anyone say if this is the case? I suppose time will also tell in this regard but I am also curious.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Faelrin on September 22, 2016, 07:29:31 AM
They are or do seem shorter then what they should be (at least going off of the pictures of the fossil, or rather at least how I'm interpreting seeing pictures of the fossil, and from what I recall of seeing the prototypes on display at JerseyFest, as well as the images of the prototypes). Then again this is to be expected from the shared parts. I have learned that this is a particular delicate issue regarding this, especially in regards to dromaeosaurids. Some accuracy is/has been lost in translation due to cutting down production costs from sharing parts. However I have no qualms about that as these are the very thing I've been waiting for all these years (detailed and highly articulated dinosaur action figures), since the Kenner days of Jurassic Park dinosaur toys, and I'm really glad David has taken the initiative to use his talent and/or skill to try to get these made. However I can understand why others may be disappointed regarding this, especially if its a favorite species that is still a bit "off" to what its supposed to be, and may be left waiting longer for such a figure/depiction to show up. 

Not to mention the word choice of "accuracy" can be interpreted in different ways. Perhaps he intended accuracy to mean that these are feathered depictions and more modern reconstructions used for these figures, rather then with the scaly and pronated wrists as so many are depicted in toys and elsewhere? This, versus them being scientifically accurate as they can be, with extensive and up to date research, like what Saurian is doing. Though I'm sure he has done some research at the very least, and he has been very generous in going back and correcting things, let alone taking/using/going through with many of the suggestions he has been given.  Anyways, sorry for the long thing, and I hope I didn't push any buttons by posting any of this. I apologize if it came across that way, as that was not my intent. I just tend to get very philosophical with my thinking and posting at times. Speculating, one could say.

Anyways, I wonder what this means for the ceratopsians line. Will they be able to fair better with sharing parts? I'm no expert on these animals, but they seem to have a similar body plan. Can anyone say if this is the case? I suppose time will also tell in this regard but I am also curious.
The shared parts excuse doesn't make any sense. There are several different lower legs being used among all these figures. He could easily have made them different sizes rather than just sculpting the feathers slightly different on each one.

And you can't just use the word accuracy to mean whatever you want it to mean. If it didn't mean scientifically accurate it's just a marketing buzzword.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on September 22, 2016, 07:29:31 AM

I'm basically with you. These are miles ahead of just about anything else out there. They aren't perfect, but they are very good, and I'm willing to spend money on very good things. As for the ceratopsians, they vary more than is generally recognized, but many species are only known from skulls or fragments of skulls, so for those I imagine some liberties will be taken.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

New image of juvenile troodon (the package art in the background looks very good! hopefully the sculpt will be as graceful as that)

Faelrin

That's more of what I meant though. Marketing purposes versus scientifically accurate purposes (which is why I gave the "generally accurate", versus "scientifically accurate" examples). Regarding the poor word choice or not, its not a deal breaker for me on these. I can let some accuracy slide for some (imo) nice dinosaur action figures. Again though, I can understand why others would be disappointed, especially if it means waiting even longer for a scientifically accurate figure of a particular species or more, particularly in the Zhenyuanlong's case.

Of course there was a possibility for the longer legs, but I don't know if it was for lack of research, or it just wasn't viable for him without the costs being too much (more regarding the stretch goal figures), or even both, especially for a first run. I'm not going to know that answer. However I'm just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the reasons mentioned prior.

Anyways, I like how that Troodon is turning out. It looks like I might be able to get away with using it as a juvenile Dromaeosaurus if I need to. The head shape seems similar enough for me, so far. The art is looking very nice too. Can't wait to see the full reveal on that, since that's the one I've been waiting on seeing the most.

Flaffy

Flaffy

I personally don't like it when "scientific accuracy" is used only as a selling point. (which is not the case here)

The tibia issue could've been easily solved by using the second tibia type quota as the longer one, instead of making slight changes to the feather sculpt. David had access to google like the rest of us, so he must know that the proportions of the 'raptors', so it shouldn't come to a surprise that different 'raptors' had different body proportions.
I just feel that if David planned to add the stretch goal 'raptors', he probably could've sculpted a wider range of body proportions.

The first three raptors could've featured:
a short tibia, swift body shape 'raptor'      [velociraptor, saurornitholestes, tsaagan]
a long tibia, differently proportioned body (either head or body) 'raptor'       [dromaeosaurus, zhenyuanlong]
a big winged/extra fluffy 'raptor (could mix and match the bodies and tibia types from the previous two)

To be fair, David never knew if the stretch goal raptors would've made it or not, so I can't really blame him for using the parts made for the first 3 'raptors' to construct the rest of the line.
BotM is still a fabulous line of figures. But once again, scientific accuracy is a major selling point of this line, and some inaccuracies I just can't look pass, I'm sorry.

Faelrin

I'm curious, has anyone actually brought this issue up to him (regarding the tibia's)? Perhaps the second wave can feature the different tibia's? Maybe someone can suggest that to him (unless someone has and I've missed it)? I know there was the suggestion for the larger wings on the Velociraptor that he said he'd look into for then. Of course that's assuming anyone wants to wait for the second wave, and that's even if it happens.

Anyways the Mononykus head does look a bit more like the package art's head. I thought someone suggested to him to use something like Shuvuuia's skull? It does say WIP though, so it could turn out a bit different from now. The skeleton reference looks like it has a beak-like skull as well. Not sure if I want to go with this one or another for my second pack yet, though. I guess time will tell, depending on how this one, Microraptor, and Buitreraptor turn out after being finished. Could Mononykus be passed off as a Shuvuuia if needed too though?

Shadowknight1

I'm probably in the minority here, but....I prefer the look of David's Zhen to Dinoguy2's photoshopped "accurate" version.  The shooped version may match up with the fossil more, but the creature shown in that image looks like a mutant.  The legs seem far too long and the head seemed too small for a critter of that body type.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 24, 2016, 12:02:21 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but....I prefer the look of David's Zhen to Dinoguy2's photoshopped "accurate" version.  The shooped version may match up with the fossil more, but the creature shown in that image looks like a mutant.  The legs seem far too long and the head seemed too small for a critter of that body type.

That's probably because people think of dromaeosaurs as all pretty much the same with slight claw and face differences, which is extremely wrong but causes people to believe there's such a thing as a "generic" dromaeosaurs that looks like a cross between Velociraptor and Deinonychus. Just look at all the figures in this very line that are inspired by scrappy specimens. They all look like a cross between Vel and Dein. We can't prove those are wrong because they're scraps but... they're unlikely. Dromaeosaurs were more diverse than people think.

And why is "accurate" in scare quotes? It is accurate. Anybody can paste it over the photos of the fossil to prove it. It may not look right to you but that's what it looked like.

Ironically, somebody above referred to this as a swift body type. Small head and long legs is the swift body type. Short legs and a big head is the opposite of swift. Zhenyuanlong was probably much faster than Velociraptor over long distances. The figures make them look the same.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: