You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on September 13, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
Yup, that's what I was remembering. Glad I wasn't the only one remembering that, thanks Sim. Hopefully David will still have those changes made. I'm also very glad Matt's paint ups got ALOT better IMO.

So are you as jazzed about S. Langstoni as I am Sim? You and I had a hand in that one as you suggested the species and I suggested the color and crest. I am so excited to get these figures next summer!

Chris

You're welcome Chris. :)  Sorry for my very late reply.  I'm very glad Matt's paint ups got a LOT better too!

I think the Saurornitholestes langstoni turned out very nice.  I'm not sure if I will be getting it though.  I've been sure I want to get the Velociraptor m., original Dromaeosaurus, and Linheraptor.  I wanted to have a fourth raptor too, but I wasn't keen on having any of the other main line figures.  I was interested in having a Saurornitholestes langstoni with a roadrunner-inspired colour scheme as my fourth raptor, but then as voting on the fan's choice figures was coming to an end, David announced the accessory packs!  Buitreraptor, Mononykus and Microraptor are probably the figures I'm most interested in after the Velociraptor m..  Them + the three larger figures I'm getting gives me 5 dromaeosaurids and 1 alvarezsaur!  I think I'll be happy with 'just' these six.  Unless I don't like how any of those accessory pack species turn out, these six will probably be the ones I get.

That our suggestions led to the Saurornitholestes langstoni figure becoming a reality makes me feel happy.  I'm also happy you'll get what you've been wanting, a dromaeosaurid with roadrunner-inspired colouration (and crest). :)  I'm looking forward to getting these figures too!

Flaffy

I was saying a swift body shape, not the overall figure proportions. Sort of like a more streamlined body shape made for speed, opposed to zhenyuanlong's body shape, which looks "bulkier" with more feathers. But saying that, by no means do I imply that one runs faster than the other, it's more aesthetics.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on September 23, 2016, 07:36:14 PM
I'm curious, has anyone actually brought this issue up to him (regarding the tibia's)? Perhaps the second wave can feature the different tibia's? Maybe someone can suggest that to him (unless someone has and I've missed it)? I know there was the suggestion for the larger wings on the Velociraptor that he said he'd look into for then. Of course that's assuming anyone wants to wait for the second wave, and that's even if it happens.

It has already been suggested before and David said that he'll consider it in the second run, if it happens.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 24, 2016, 12:02:21 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but....I prefer the look of David's Zhen to Dinoguy2's photoshopped "accurate" version.  The shooped version may match up with the fossil more, but the creature shown in that image looks like a mutant.  The legs seem far too long and the head seemed too small for a critter of that body type.
Well, this is what fossil evidence tells us.You may find David's more aesthetically appealing, but the shopped version is by far the accurate one.
The shopped version doesn't look as good because:
1. It is based off the old zhenyuanlong sculpt, which looked like generic dromaeosaur #5, and the paint on the new one is far superior to the old one
2. Make a figure with inaccurate proportions accurate
3. It is not an actual 3D figure

Faelrin

Back when I saw the Zhenyuanlong's legs from the fossil when it was going around in the news online, I thought they were weirdly long, but that is how they are. I just wasn't used to it or expecting it. Hopefully there will be a more accurate one in the second wave, but I am still fine with the way this one is for now otherwise I would hold off on it. I'm just glad that there's a really nice figure of this species so soon, especially after I fell in love with that fossil. No too mention there's articulation to boot, and I like the color scheme used for it (though I will be kicking myself if any melanosomes are found at some point after getting this one).

This whole thing makes me want to open the gimp up tomorrow and use the images of the figure to try to recreate the pose it had in the fossil though. Would be a fun little project to try. I'd also love to see the Velociraptor posed like the one from the fighting dinosaurs fossil, but no Protoceratops for it to go with (yet). Speaking of Protoceratops, that's probably too small to scale with other ceratopsians like Triceratops and such, unless included as a minifigure like the accessory pack species. I'm wishful that there will be one in scale with the Velociraptor someday though. Granted I haven't asked about it, but that's probably unlikely.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

fason

not related to this thread but why is it that microraptor never has a snout ? ive seen in most  other microraptor skeletons it does , but in the art shown in this thread , it has a weird nub like the more complete one ?I thought it was accepted that the most complete one was missing its jaw ?

Sim

Quote from: fason on September 24, 2016, 02:12:04 PM
not related to this thread but why is it that microraptor never has a snout ? ive seen in most  other microraptor skeletons it does , but in the art shown in this thread , it has a weird nub like the more complete one ?I thought it was accepted that the most complete one was missing its jaw ?

Microraptor has its snout in all the art shown in this thread, except for the drawing of the fossil that's missing the snout.

fason

sorry probably just used to longer snout and less beakish snouts

Dinoguy2

Quote from: fason on September 24, 2016, 02:12:04 PM

There's a well preserved snout in this specimen:
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shadowknight1

I don't know if it's accurate, but I love how it looks!  So neat!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Thylacosmilus

At least, the tail turned to look like with the original concept again:

tyrantqueen

The microraptor looks really good. There are no microraptors on the market that I really like so I might be tempted to pick this up. The rest of the set are OK, but if I got those I'd end up repainting them because I don't like the slavish copying of real life animals. I wonder if they come in unpainted form?

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 26, 2016, 10:03:14 AM
....... if I got those I'd end up repainting them because I don't like the slavish copying of real life animals. I wonder if they come in unpainted form?

Slavish ????

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of your repaints yet. Can you post a link?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 26, 2016, 10:49:34 AM
....... if I got those I'd end up repainting them because I don't like the slavish copying of real life animals. I wonder if they come in unpainted form?

Slavish ????

Why should I? Whether I post my repaints or not doesn't dictate whether I can have an opinion on something. You seem to be implying that in order to form an opinion on something, I need to show that I can do better. I don't need to be a cook to know if a soup is tasty or not. Why don't you post your repaints then?

By the way, I didn't say the quality of the painting was bad. I wasn't trying to use the word slavish in a negative way. They are just extremely faithful (too faithful in my eyes) to real life animals. It doesn't bother some people, but it does bother me. My collection, my rules.

Albertosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 26, 2016, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on September 26, 2016, 10:49:34 AM

Slavish ????

Why should I? Whether I post my repaints or not doesn't dictate whether I can have an opinion on something. You seem to be implying that in order to form an opinion on something, I need to show that I can do better. I don't need to be a cook to know if a soup is tasty or not. Why don't you post your repaints then?

By the way, I didn't say the quality of the painting was bad. I wasn't trying to use the word slavish in a negative way. They are just extremely faithful (too faithful in my eyes) to real life animals. It doesn't bother some people, but it does bother me. My collection, my rules.
Calm down,girl.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

That was a just a little bit uncalled for don't you think? He was just asking to see some of your repaints, I don't think that's enough justification to blow up at him.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on September 26, 2016, 12:28:42 PM

That was a just a little bit uncalled for don't you think? He was just asking to see some of your repaints, I don't think that's enough justification to blow up at him.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I can see how that post could be misinterpreted because he was asking to see repainted right after he appeared to take issue with her calling them slavish copies. Like "slavish eh? Let's see if you can really do better!"

I think the misinterpretation was that he just didn't know what the word slavish means...? Not sure with that emoji.

Anyway, they DO come in unpainted form, as the build a raptor sets on BackerKit.

And that Microraptor looks much better than the initial sculpt. Not quite fluffy enough, but so close to accurate that I'm tempted.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tyrantqueen

QuoteI can see how that post could be misinterpreted because he was asking to see repainted right after he appeared to take issue with her calling them slavish copies. Like "slavish eh? Let's see if you can really do better!"

I think the misinterpretation was that he just didn't know what the word slavish means...? Not sure with that emoji.

Yes, that was how I took it.

However, I shouldn't have snapped like that. Postsaurischian, I apologise for jumping down your throat and the aggressive tone of my response.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 26, 2016, 01:03:13 PM
QuoteI can see how that post could be misinterpreted because he was asking to see repainted right after he appeared to take issue with her calling them slavish copies. Like "slavish eh? Let's see if you can really do better!"

Yes, that was how I took it.

However, I shouldn't have snapped like that. Postsaurischian, I apologise for jumping down your throat and the aggressive tone of my response.

I couldn't connect the word slavish with the sense of the sentence, maybe because English is not my first language.

Since you have been talking about repainting here and there I was just interested to see yours and thought I might have missed something (which I often do, because I'm not checking the forum every day).

I do not paint or repaint, so I cannot show any of mine :-[.

It's not the first time I have been unintentionally provoking your anger with one of my comments. I better leave it well enough alone.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: