News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Juancho142's 1/40 sculpts

Started by juancho142, July 16, 2015, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juancho142

Hi guys,
Long time without any dinos or mammals in my collection I bought a couple of theropod models (Safari Giganotosaurus and Papo running t rex) and was also going to buy CollectA's Carcharodontosaurus, which I think is pretty cool but I decided to save some money now.
I had done a 2 scuptures some years back: a White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum) and a Tyrannosaurus which I never quite finished and, since CollectA's Carcharodontosaurus is a bit too bulky I decided to start one and see how it goes.

I'm using an epoxy clay called "parsecs".

The skeletal mold:

And some clay added to it

First bit of the head

Detail of the forelimbs

One side of the head is almost done

Started yesterday, I'll post updates!

Juan

DinoLord

Looks like a great start! Any plans for casting it when you're done?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Looking good! I can't wait to see how this one progresses.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

juancho142

Quote from: DinoLord on July 16, 2015, 04:05:12 PM
Looks like a great start! Any plans for casting it when you're done?

I wouldn't know exactly how to, but might be an option if there's interest!

Arul

Kayakasaurus

Looking good! And welcome to the Forum. I also sculpt with epoxy, but it's a different brand called magic sculpt. I can't wait to see your final product!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Getting some good detail there already!

Dobber

Fantastic! Please keep the updates coming. :)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

juancho142

Ok, been working on the right flank and the rest of the head through out the day.

Juan

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

juancho142

Here's some more, left flank

Juan

juancho142

Some updates

Simon

Hmmmm...first of all, GREAT sculpting work .... but I have to ask the question:  are you sure that the head isn't too large for the body?  In any event if you keep it like this you should definitely flesh out the body making sure to give it a nice deep torso to balance out the slightly oversized head ....

DinoLord

I agree. The details are great but he looks like he could eat a sauropod or two.  :P

juancho142

Quote from: Simon on July 19, 2015, 12:51:42 AM
Hmmmm...first of all, GREAT sculpting work .... but I have to ask the question:  are you sure that the head isn't too large for the body?  In any event if you keep it like this you should definitely flesh out the body making sure to give it a nice deep torso to balance out the slightly oversized head ....

I actually scaled it exactly from a printed skeleton sketch. The head angle in the pose also makes it look larger than it is. It IS a big head, that's what I love about Carcharodontosaurids, the huge head!

However I'm not done with it, there is still done flesh to be added in the trunk

juancho142

Ok, some new stuff, I added for some trunk thickness and a "Mohawk" now it needs some more skin on the tail and some more minor details.

Juan

juancho142

Finishing the carcharo I decided to begin a new one, an Albertosaurus and later I'll make a hairless Megatherium, we'll see how it comes up!

Cnrdvs

Would you ever cast and sell these guys? They look AWESOME

juancho142

Some more work on the Albertosaurus head

juancho142

Some updates and scaling next to a few 1/40 models:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: