News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

This looks amazing, I really like the colour, detail and prey. The only thing that puts me off a little is obviously the feet  :P   That was the only thing stopping me getting the ceratosaurus. This is really hard to resist and since REBOR said that this is part of a large diorama I'm really exited. (But also a little worried about the cost)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 26, 2015, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 26, 2015, 08:24:49 PM
Having a removable base, jaw articulation, and also cool accessories like that Tenonto corpse, is part of the point with these guys, I think. This is what makes Rebor different. There is just something about having a permanently attached base that I am personally not as interested in. It automatically makes a piece feel like a statue, and I guess that isn't what I'm going for.

Rebor is like the best of both worlds, and they are also not in the hundreds of dollars. Each of their figures is really like a set if you think of it like that with the detailed bases, and in the Acro's case the corpsey Tenontosaurus as well.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Except that depending how many parts there are to the diorama at eighty bucks a pop it IS in the hundreds of dollars..three pieces for instance by that math is 240 dollars plus...so that is really not great logic either. If you were referring to single pieces at less than that price point I could agree, but as I understood it, ALL of their products are being created as diorama parts to make larger scenes. So if you want something complete, you are right there at sideshow pricing
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SpittersForEver

I'm a bit muddled up about when this is going to be released, can anyone help me?

ItsTwentyBelow

Of course I meant that each individual Rebor figure is not in the hundreds of dollars. That is cool to know that Hercules is just one part of a larger diorama, but he's also a standalone piece and in the end if I really only want him, I can just get him without buying the whole thing. Sound logic.

It is entirely up to the consumer whether or not they would want to end up spending hundreds of dollars on these, but just having one or two is not a huge investment. You can spend hundreds on Wild Safari or Collecta figures if you get enough of them.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 27, 2015, 12:10:25 AM
Of course I meant that each individual Rebor figure is not in the hundreds of dollars. That is cool to know that Hercules is just one part of a larger diorama, but he's also a standalone piece and in the end if I really only want him, I can just get him without buying the whole thing. Sound logic.

It is entirely up to the consumer whether or not they would want to end up spending hundreds of dollars on these, but just having one or two is not a huge investment. You can spend hundreds on Wild Safari or Collecta figures if you get enough of them.
Yes I see that side of it...and it does make sense, but even then..one model is eighty or so dollars and with shipping your staring at a hundred so two of them is...again pushing two hundred .They are not by any means a cheaper alternative to anything...they get expensive fast too. While you could spend those hundreds buying other lines, for most, at the end of the day you would have a room full of figures..not just two, with issues standing, and falling over , or based and yet using oversized feet. It just seems like for the cost level the figures would have better ......or more user friendly sides to them. Looking forward to seeing more of their line myself...and I am fond of the Lock, Stock and Barrel set, despite the cost....but I think if they continue having various issues and charging these prices it will not work out well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ItsTwentyBelow

I agree, Rebor is still not the cheapest, but I'm happy that I was able to at least sample what they offer for a reasonable price. I currently have the Ceratosaurus model on the way, for just a little over $40. I'm not used to plunking that much money down for just one figure, but they seem like a cool, new way to collect our favorite prehistoric beasts, and I like how they've made efforts to improve the quality of the finished product.

So, I just had to give them a try, and I am really hoping that "Savage" impresses.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: SpittersForEver on July 27, 2015, 12:05:23 AM
I'm a bit muddled up about when this is going to be released, can anyone help me?
I believe REBOR's current plan is for Herc to release in August.

And the pricing on these tends to vary based on size, so there's no telling how much you'd spend on "full sets" even though each one can be displayed by themselves.  In this set's case, we're looking at about 80 for Herc and prey and I'm going to guess about 40 for The Cerberus Clan with prey.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

joossa

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 26, 2015, 11:54:55 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 26, 2015, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 26, 2015, 08:24:49 PM
Having a removable base, jaw articulation, and also cool accessories like that Tenonto corpse, is part of the point with these guys, I think. This is what makes Rebor different. There is just something about having a permanently attached base that I am personally not as interested in. It automatically makes a piece feel like a statue, and I guess that isn't what I'm going for.

Rebor is like the best of both worlds, and they are also not in the hundreds of dollars. Each of their figures is really like a set if you think of it like that with the detailed bases, and in the Acro's case the corpsey Tenontosaurus as well.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Except that depending how many parts there are to the diorama at eighty bucks a pop it IS in the hundreds of dollars..three pieces for instance by that math is 240 dollars plus...so that is really not great logic either. If you were referring to single pieces at less than that price point I could agree, but as I understood it, ALL of their products are being created as diorama parts to make larger scenes. So if you want something complete, you are right there at sideshow pricing

I think the emphasis in ItsTwentyBelow's post and the direction Rebor is going is versatility. In the framework of versatility, the difference between Rebor's products and a statue from Sideshow is they provide the consumer with flexibility and options. Sure, if you want to build a full 3-model diorama/scene from Rebor, you can dish out the the $240 you mention, but you don't have to if you aren't interested in doing so. You can go with one of the three or two of the three. With Sideshow, you have to pay $250 for one piece at the very lest, and that's being very generous with the price. On top of it all, a Sideshow piece is a display statue that gives you no options, but to display it on the its base. As an owner of both Sideshow and Rebor, I can say I see my Sideshow piece inherently different than my Rebor pieces... they serve different roles even though they are display pieces for me. With Rebor's models, you can display them on the base, off the base, with or without the accessories, combine different products to make larger dioramas or large display scenes and the consumer gets to choose how to display and how big a display s/he wants. It's the versatility that's being highlighted above and what makes Rebor's products appealing in that respect.

As for the bases... I don't think it's fair to say the bases are there to aid in stability since Rebor hasn't advertised that. We're talking the Yutyrannus, Ceratosaurus, and the Arco. (Obviously, the Rex and Utahraptor depend on their bases.) By the way I read it, Rebor advertises these pieces as being able to be placed on the base or off the base (minus the Acro thus far since they haven't shown of a picture of it off the base). Because they want to offer that versatility, they have produced these models so they are not dependent on the base, so calling them "bases for support" is erroneous, I think. The Acro has large feet so it can stand on it's own without pegs and while also holding the prey item in its mouth.

At the end of the day, it's going to be a "different strokes for different folks" scenario as already described in the previous posts. Some people would prefer peg holes and then others would complain about the pegs in the base. Then others like me don't like their figures restricted to being adhered to their base, like the CollectA Feathered Rex. Others will the like the options Rebor offers. At the end of the day, it's a balancing act (pardon the pun) in terms of producing a model; some features will have to be compromised, whether it's making the feet big, making a tripod pose, making the hips wide, attaching the model to a base permanently, etc. etc. etc. and not everyone will be pleased, but so be it.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

DinoLord

Good points. Personally, I prefer more statue-like pieces these days, but I do admire the versatility Rebor is aiming for.

Takama

Personally, When i buy a Dinosaur, I only buy it for the Animal, not the other stuff that comes with it.     So Adding stuff to it like a Dead Tenotosaurus seem like there just making ways to squeeze money out of your pocket. Also, I prefer Models with Un-Removable Bases Because it Guarantees the model will never Fall over.....Ever. Even Clown footed Dinosaurs run the risk of being tipped over and getting paint rubs.

Viking Spawn

I still prefer the option of displaying them with or without the base.   I've seen some cool statues with nice details before but hated the bases they come with.   To each their own, however, I currently like the style in which Rebor is going with at this time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on July 27, 2015, 01:07:00 AM
Personally, When i buy a Dinosaur, I only buy it for the Animal, not the other stuff that comes with it.     So Adding stuff to it like a Dead Tenotosaurus seem like there just making ways to squeeze money out of your pocket. Also, I prefer Models with Un-Removable Bases Because it Guarantees the model will never Fall over.....Ever. Even Clown footed Dinosaurs run the risk of being tipped over and getting paint rubs.

Small additions aren't too bad. They don't really cost much to add, but they can add something to an overall look.  You also have the added benefit if your a customizer or dio builder to have some interesting new options.

Actually it would be neat to start seeing add on kits from someone. Different small scaled pieces to use with various figures. I know there are some on Shapeways and we use Kaiyodos and such but it would be cool to have other items too.

tanystropheus

Personally, When i buy a Dinosaur, I only buy it for the Animal, not the other stuff that comes with it.     So Adding stuff to it like a Dead Tenotosaurus seem like there just making ways to squeeze money out of your pocket

Totally disagree. I think you are in the minority here.
Presentation is everything. The more vivid, and robust a dinosaur piece is, the better. Plus, REBORs are a steal when you consider how much details they pack in. They are barely charging for the price of the base (Ceratosaurus sells for $40, but the base alone looks like it would cost around $25-30). I'm so glad that they fixed the stability issues, because that was their one glaring oversight.
Excellent brands and toy lines always add bonus items (interchangeable hands, faces, buddy characters, set pieces). Premium products from Play Arts Kai, NECA, MattyCollector, Bandai Namco, Revoltech, etc. ....and now REBOR provide excellent value for the price. And, they give consumers OPTIONS, whether they want a standalone product or an extended diorama.
REBOR's marketing strategy is second to none, and they have in excess of 40,000 followers across instagram and Facebook, alone. If they continue growing at this rate, they will probably become the premier dinosaur line by the end of 2016.
While I applaud CollectA for starting this adding base to product trend (amongst the retail brands, that is), I find the overall aesthetics to be lacking in the CollectA bases...they are bland...they just get the job done...I almost feel as if I need to 'refurbish' or mod the Un-Removable CollectA bases because they are simply not up to par with the quality of the dinosaurs that CollectA releases...just my two cents.

Takama

To me, the Base is the least important thing, just as long as it Keeps the model from falling over.   I can care less if a base is a work of art, or just a patch of dirt

tanystropheus

When I check out Cooper, Garrett and Foulkes' work, I can't help but admire the bases. Gorgeous, absolutely stunning bases. REBOR took the genius idea of adding (similar) professionally made bases to their products.

utd7

When will this beauty be released cause I cannot wait to buy him.
We live in a Jurassic World

Arul

Quote from: utd7 on July 27, 2015, 11:38:35 AM
When will this beauty be released cause I cannot wait to buy him.

Me too  :D about august and september

Battatitan

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 27, 2015, 07:08:58 AM
Personally, When i buy a Dinosaur, I only buy it for the Animal, not the other stuff that comes with it.     So Adding stuff to it like a Dead Tenotosaurus seem like there just making ways to squeeze money out of your pocket

Totally disagree. I think you are in the minority here.
Presentation is everything. The more vivid, and robust a dinosaur piece is, the better. Plus, REBORs are a steal when you consider how much details they pack in. They are barely charging for the price of the base (Ceratosaurus sells for $40, but the base alone looks like it would cost around $25-30). I'm so glad that they fixed the stability issues, because that was their one glaring oversight.
Excellent brands and toy lines always add bonus items (interchangeable hands, faces, buddy characters, set pieces). Premium products from Play Arts Kai, NECA, MattyCollector, Bandai Namco, Revoltech, etc. ....and now REBOR provide excellent value for the price. And, they give consumers OPTIONS, whether they want a standalone product or an extended diorama.
REBOR's marketing strategy is second to none, and they have in excess of 40,000 followers across instagram and Facebook, alone. If they continue growing at this rate, they will probably become the premier dinosaur line by the end of 2016.
While I applaud CollectA for starting this adding base to product trend (amongst the retail brands, that is), I find the overall aesthetics to be lacking in the CollectA bases...they are bland...they just get the job done...I almost feel as if I need to 'refurbish' or mod the Un-Removable CollectA bases because they are simply not up to par with the quality of the dinosaurs that CollectA releases...just my two cents.

I completely agree. CollectA's dinosaurs are beautifully realistic but I can't help feeling disappointed that they stand in an undecorated lump of plastic. REBOR really have gone above and beyond in terms of bases, making for a more realistic and valuable product. If we've got dinosaurs, we need somewhere for them to live!

utd7

I have really become a fan of REBOR since the release of the Utahraptor and Ceratosaurus eventhough both have their problems but I really like their level of detail and they feel alive, something only Papo's dinosaurs have.

I do not own any Collecta dinosaurs yet but from the pics and reviews I see they look great and some look really accurate especially their ceratopsian figures which I would like to buy but they do feel somewhat lifeless and souless. But I would still like to have one live to fully comment on them properly.

And I think sometimes we are a bit harsh on REBOR especially after they released the Utahraptor 'Wind Hunter' they were absoluetly savaged a bit too much and recently threatened to quit which would have been a great loss. I think they are learning their lessons especially seeing this beauty soon to be released and cannot wait to see what the 'Cerberus' set to go with this will be. I suspect it will be a pack of Deinonychus.
We live in a Jurassic World

ItsTwentyBelow

Yep, honestly part of the reason I was excited to get the Ceratosaurus was for the base, with that cool water detailing. The figure itself was of course the main draw, but hey, I can incorporate the base alone into other dioramas. I think it might look nice with some of my Safari and Collecta paleo-plants set up around it, with some other animal having a drink...

There are also so many ways to use that awesome Tenontosaurus corpse in a diorama.

I haven't been the most excited with Collecta's bases. I agree that they are pretty bland, and my Ichthyovenator just kind of looks like it's stuck in there. Plus the issues with their figures on bases warping over time. My Ichthyo is definitely resting on its hands by now.

Ever since I got the Carnegie Pachycephalosaurus as a kid, I've realized just how unattractive a dinosaur figure with a base, that is meant to be handled, can be. It was always annoying to have a patch of plastic earth in the way.

I'm all for display, but I will always enjoy being able to go over to my display shelf and twiddle whichever figure has just caught my eye around in my hands. With Rebor, I can do that! I think this is part of why I have never been interested in actually acquiring any of the Sideshow maquettes. I know that after I shell out the cash for one of them, it will just sit on my shelf (after having taken up one whole shelf) and collect dust after the novelty factor of having the thing wears off after a week or two. Not worth it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: