News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

My whole thing is Rebor could be selling sideshow dinosauria quality models in plastic form if they really wanted to, but almost seem to be holding back for reasons that boggle my dang mind.  I mean, here is a gorgeous acro, beautifully sculpted and painted AND accurate...if not for the oversized feet.  This irks me because Acrocanthosaurus is a unique therapod that looks really cool and there seems to be few lifelike figure of them.  Also, it is made by a company who's T-Rex is designed to require a base to not fall over, and a Utahraptor that requires a peg for the same reason.  Both are quality figures though, needless to say, and this is still the most appealing acrocanthosaur I've seen in plastic form. 

I get the appeal of having dinosaur models that don't require a base to be displayed, but TBH the market has so few models that actually look like the animal they are trying to portray.  I personally just want to own a compact, durable, lifelike, accurate sculpted representation of the animals that fascinated me and sparked my imagination growing up as a kid, even if it means paying $40-$80. 

Rebor are SOOOOOOO close to creating figures with the lifelike quality of paposaurs and the scientific accuracy of resin kits, and I'm trying to be constructive here when I say they would probably have something extra special if they chose to go all-out in making products that combine those styles a reality. 

Don't think it would affect other companies much either.  Collecta, for example have a unique style that makes them fun and aesthetically pleasing, and they charge very reasonable prices.  And if Rebor essentially made their models with the scientific accuracy of the sideshow dinosauria line, and charged what they already do, even if it meant therapods had to require bases to remain upright, they would probably be the only company doing that at the moment and that would be refreshing IMO. 

DinoLord

I agree with your sentiments. The oversized feet are especially frustrating since the rest of the anatomy looks spot-on.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 27, 2015, 04:31:48 PM
I'm all for display, but I will always enjoy being able to go over to my display shelf and twiddle whichever figure has just caught my eye around in my hands. With Rebor, I can do that! I think this is part of why I have never been interested in actually acquiring any of the Sideshow maquettes. I know that after I shell out the cash for one of them, it will just sit on my shelf (after having taken up one whole shelf) and collect dust after the novelty factor of having the thing wears off after a week or two. Not worth it!
I agree with this sentiment.  Even though I shsould leave it on the stand, I still occasionally take my Utahraptor of the base and "play" around with it.  Not like run them around the house, but just kind of look at it close, keep it by me.  I don't like permanent stands and considering that the bases and, in the case of Herc, the other accessories are part of the draw of these figures, I'll take slightly oversized feet over a mounted figure any day.

And it may just be me, but I always feel like the feet shown in those silhouette reconstructions seem a bit too small, not enough muscle and flesh around the bone.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DinoLord

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 30, 2015, 12:25:25 AMAnd it may just be me, but I always feel like the feet shown in those silhouette reconstructions seem a bit too small, not enough muscle and flesh around the bone.

Even in life they wouldn't have been very large:

Ever had chicken feet? They don't have much meat to them - it's mainly skin and connective tissue. Larger birds like ostriches do have thicker-looking feet, but still not quite as large as often depicted in dinosaur toys.

That being said, I'll agree to disagree on having a figure merely for show versus one that can be handled. Personally, I think a separate base with a peg insert would be the best of both worlds - hopefully Rebor will consider such a solution for future models.

ItsTwentyBelow

I can understand the dislike of the relatively large feet.

I guess for me, I don't care too much about that aspect of this figure simply because it is of course not due to the sculptor's lack of skill or poor understanding of dinosaur anatomy. Certainly not. It is for a practical reason: Rebor wanted to improve the stability of this bipedal figure. So they intentionally fudged the feet.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Add some moss or brush that obscures them partially..easy enough fix.

Monkeysaurus

The base is one of my favorite parts about Rebor because you can keep it as is with the figure, or you can mix and mash them with other Dino's like I do. This is the Papo Carnotaurus standing on the Rebor Yutrannus base. It just looks appropriate to me.
I can't wait to try out the Acro's prey item in the mouths of the papo or rebor Rex when it's finally released. 
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Arul

Monkeysaurus, rebor cerato diorama is recommended too, still looking good for other figure

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: ARUL on August 03, 2015, 04:11:34 PM
Monkeysaurus, rebor cerato diorama is recommended too, still looking good for other figure

The Rebor Cerato diorama is my favorite. I have the Papo dilophosaurus on it since it's a wetland piece, and I have always seen dilophos as fish eaters like Spino because of the notched skull.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

SpittersForEver

Does anyone know the dimensions for this? REBOR can you do a comparison shot next to your  t rex?

Thanks

Arul

Little bit smaller than king trex they said  :)

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 30, 2015, 12:25:25 AMI agree with this sentiment.  Even though I shsould leave it on the stand, I still occasionally take my Utahraptor of the base and "play" around with it.  Not like run them around the house, but just kind of look at it close, keep it by me.  I don't like permanent stands and considering that the bases and, in the case of Herc, the other accessories are part of the draw of these figures, I'll take slightly oversized feet over a mounted figure any day.

And it may just be me, but I always feel like the feet shown in those silhouette reconstructions seem a bit too small, not enough muscle and flesh around the bone.

I LOL'ed at the mental image I got while reading that.  ;D

SpittersForEver

Jetoar

Definetly, this is the Acrocanthosaurus year  ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

joossa

This long wait for the Acro to come out is making me impatient. To think it may be another month before it's available... oh boy.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Jetoar

Quote from: joossa on August 05, 2015, 11:46:57 PM
This long wait for the Acro to come out is making me impatient. To think it may be another month before it's available... oh boy.

Nowadays I dont have any figures of Rebor but this is my favorite  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tanystropheus

Don't be surprised if REBOR introduces an anatomically accurate T-rex ("Queen T-rex") in 2016.

REBOR is celebrating the 25th anniversary of SUE (source: REBOR Facebook).

Viking Spawn

Perhaps the Queen Rex will also be called "Sue" in honor of the anniversary?  Or would that be against some copyright of the Field Museum?  I hope you're right with your idea.....   ;)

tanystropheus

I think a few months ago, one of the forum members said that the Acrocanthosaurus looked like a ninja turtle. He/she seems to be rather quiet about the final version... ;) :P

utd7

QuoteI think a few months ago, one of the forum members said that the Acrocanthosaurus looked like a ninja turtle

Who in their right state of mind would call this beauty a ninja turtle?
We live in a Jurassic World

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: