News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

Quote from: DinoLord on July 25, 2015, 01:11:08 AM
This would be a near-perfect model if only the feet were smaller. It's unfortunate that even with the base the feet still have to be oversized for stability. This is the one hangup that's prevented me from getting any Rebor products even after the stability issues have been resolved. Personally I would prefer an attached base or even a peg insert.
Honestly, I compare it to my WS Acro and the feet seem to be similar in proportion.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DinoLord

The WS Acrocanthosaurus also has oversized feet. Look at this skeletal for reference:

The difference is that the Wild Safari figure is a mass-produced figure costing ~$10, while the Rebor one is a high end piece (with a base nonetheless) costing $80. I love the WS Acrocanthosaurus and think it's an excellent figure, but given the difference in purchase price my expectations for the two are going to be rather different.

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 25, 2015, 12:55:40 AM
Considering the area that Acrocanthosaurus and Tenontosaurus lived in, as well as a previous hint, I would assume Deinonychus antirrhopus is the most likely candidate.  They mentioned that Deinonychus would probably be their attempt at a truly accurate feathered dinosaur.  However, considering the size of the dinosaur, a single specimen would be almost 4 inches long.  Not exactly a grand model, especially with Hercules being about 13" long.

They have already confirmed that their Deinonychus will be in 1/35 scale (see below). So, given the size, it's almost certain there will be a trio of Deinonychus that fit on a base as the Cerberus Clan.  :)

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 08:04:35 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 23, 2015, 07:48:55 AM
All I can really say is I hope his works are better" feathered" in the museums of London than they are on the pages of your Facebook posts lol.

Oh Gosh even autocorrection prefers that word... anyway the good news is, 1:35 scientific accurate Deinonychus will be released in future, Utahraptor was a successful experiment, now with better public acceptance of feathered dinosaurs we are ready to move on to the next stage: introducing fully feathered Dromaeosaurus to the public.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

QuelQuelQuel

I understand people not wanting it due to over-sized feet, I tend to stick to herbivore models because the white blobby teeth you see on most carnivore figures puts me off. I'd rather have over-sized feet and be able to have it free standing without a base than be restricted to one, thats for sure.

That said, this is an absolutely remarkable figure and I'll definitely be picking it up (especially since the teeth look non-blobby!). If they really are working on dioramas this stuff is going to start getting expensive.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: QuelQuelQuel on July 25, 2015, 10:31:33 AM
I understand people not wanting it due to over-sized feet, I tend to stick to herbivore models because the white blobby teeth you see on most carnivore figures puts me off. I'd rather have over-sized feet and be able to have it free standing without a base than be restricted to one, thats for sure.

That said, this is an absolutely remarkable figure and I'll definitely be picking it up (especially since the teeth look non-blobby!). If they really are working on dioramas this stuff is going to start getting expensive.

I agree.  The larger feet for stability is okay with me.  I think once this remarkable piece is in everyone's hands, the feet size will most likely be overlooked or forgivable.   Got mine on preorder.

utd7

Very impressed with this magnificent looking dino and judging from their past efforts the real life one will look better than the pictures. Cannot wait to buy this and place it near the Utahraptor 'Wind Hunter' and Ceratosaurus 'Savage'.

I am liking REBOR's style which is similair to PAPO's in that they feel alive and real but are unique in their own way and are not copies of PAPO's very good models which I happen to have a lot of. I would like to see them try making some nice herbivores though like a nice Stegosaur as someone pointed out in the REBOR general discussion that there isn't a really nice one to buy which is in contrast to Ceratopsians where there are loads of nice ones.
We live in a Jurassic World

Shadowknight1

Considering how striking the pattern on Herc's spine is, I would love to see REBOR's take on a Stegosaurus.  And I doubt they'll do it, but it'd be neat if they used a kind of phosphorescent paint on the eye so it'd glow in the dark.

Also....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQX9DJaDZkY

tanystropheus

Quote from: QuelQuelQuel on July 25, 2015, 10:31:33 AM
I understand people not wanting it due to over-sized feet.

Yeah, it's weird. Almost as weird as folks that will absolutely not buy a model because it relies on a base for support or includes articulated jaws...or barely visible seams.

The truth is that people tend to depend on an internal system of heuristics to budget their choices. They persuade themselves to not buy an item after hours and hours of wrestling with intra-psychic conflict. Eventually they rule in or out the model in question. Several months later ...they change their minds (again)....and claim that they got the model for their brother/sister...or that it was actually gift from a girlfriend/boyfriend/mom/dad etc.

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 25, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
Considering how striking the pattern on Herc's spine is, I would love to see REBOR's take on a Stegosaurus.
YES! I cannot wait for their steggo.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Arul

very very well done REBOR !! each rebor figure have it story, each story can be relate with another rebor figure too. make collecting rebor figure become very exciting...

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 25, 2015, 04:01:10 PM
Yeah, it's weird. Almost as weird as folks that will absolutely not buy a model because it relies on a base for support or includes articulated jaws...or barely visible seams.

The truth is that people tend to depend on an internal system of heuristics to budget their choices. They persuade themselves to not buy an item after hours and hours of wrestling with intra-psychic conflict. Eventually they rule in or out the model in question. Several months later ...they change their minds (again)....and claim that they got the model for their brother/sister...or that it was actually gift from a girlfriend/boyfriend/mom/dad etc.
What's a problem with articulated jaws?  If they're done right, ala Papo and REBOR, you can't tell too much.  Now, if they're done poorly, you get the entire JW toy line lol

I'm personally not a fan of figures permanently attached to bases, but if the figure is good, I can move past that, like with CollectA's feathered T. rex.

Viking Spawn

I see there are a few comments for a Rebor Stegosaurus?!  Now THAT I would also buy in a heartbeat!  Rebor has already mentioned an Allosaurus species in the works, they need to make him/her a proper armored herbivore adversary!!!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 26, 2015, 02:45:59 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 25, 2015, 04:01:10 PM

What's a problem with articulated jaws?  If they're done right, ala Papo and REBOR, you can't tell too much.  Now, if they're done poorly, you get the entire JW toy line lol

I'm personally not a fan of figures permanently attached to bases, but if the figure is good, I can move past that, like with CollectA's feathered T. rex.

I really like articulated jaws on Papo and REBOR models. Schleich, however, isn't quite there yet.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 26, 2015, 03:29:32 AM
I see there are a few comments for a Rebor Stegosaurus?!  Now THAT I would also buy in a heartbeat!  Rebor has already mentioned an Allosaurus species in the works, they need to make him/her a proper armored herbivore adversary!!!

The last Stegosaurus that really made me swoon was from Tyco's Dino Riders, but that was decades ago. I like the WS Stegosaurus and Papo versions, as well but there is still room for improvement.

ItsTwentyBelow

Really liking the look of this "Hercules" figure, and may consider a purchase if I am as pleased as I hope I'll be once my Ceratosaurus "Savage" arrives.

On a side note, to address folks' concern with this figure's proportionally large feet, I have to start by saying it does not bother me so much, especially as someone who strives for correct anatomical proportions in my figures. It is not realistic to expect a bipedal dinosaur figure like this one to have accurately sized feet. Just take a look at the great skeletal diagram of Acrocanthosaurus that was posted above. If Hercules' feet actually reflected these proportions, there is no way whatsoever it would EVER be able to stand without the base.

No manufacturer that intends such an expensive product to stand on a desk or table unaided in such a pose could accomplish this without sculpting in some extra balance. Maybe they could have gotten a prototype with smaller feet to stand upright for the photos, but they would never be able to guarantee that everybody else's is going to stay balanced.

A living, breathing Acrocanthosaurus with musculature and a skeletal system would have been constantly pushing against the ground, shifting its weight, adjusting balance, keeping upright on those relatively small-ish feet with no problem. These truths about biology just do not translate into plastic well, at all.

With Rebor, you are getting a good mix of high-end model, as well as versatile play figure with endless display options, since you can pluck it off its base on a whim!

A bipedal dinosaur-shaped piece of plastic will only ever be able to stand on two feet so well. I look at these pictures of Hercules and his feet, and do not really worry that after shelling out about 70 - 80 bucks for one, it will have problems standing. Interested to see the first reviews, but will be surprised if this one has bad issues with falling on his keister.

tyrantqueen

If the models can't stand without bases, then they should just mold them directly onto the base and make them non removable. Then the feet wouldn't need to be so large.

DinoLord

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 26, 2015, 06:21:45 PM
If the models can't stand without bases, then they should just mold them directly onto the base and make them non removable. Then the feet wouldn't need to be so large.

Exactly. This is how most higher end pieces like Sideshow maquettes or resin kits are designed. I understand using either large feet or a base for stability, but don't see the need for both.

ItsTwentyBelow

Having a removable base, jaw articulation, and also cool accessories like that Tenonto corpse, is part of the point with these guys, I think. This is what makes Rebor different. There is just something about having a permanently attached base that I am personally not as interested in. It automatically makes a piece feel like a statue, and I guess that isn't what I'm going for.

Rebor is like the best of both worlds, and they are also not in the hundreds of dollars. Each of their figures is really like a set if you think of it like that with the detailed bases, and in the Acro's case the corpsey Tenontosaurus as well.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 26, 2015, 08:24:49 PM
Having a removable base, jaw articulation, and also cool accessories like that Tenonto corpse, is part of the point with these guys, I think. This is what makes Rebor different. There is just something about having a permanently attached base that I am personally not as interested in. It automatically makes a piece feel like a statue, and I guess that isn't what I'm going for.

Rebor is like the best of both worlds, and they are also not in the hundreds of dollars. Each of their figures is really like a set if you think of it like that with the detailed bases, and in the Acro's case the corpsey Tenontosaurus as well.
Agreed!

tanystropheus

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 26, 2015, 08:24:49 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: