News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Work in progress: WS Velociraptor!

Started by Sharptooth, May 03, 2012, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooth

That's a project started a couple of months ago and i've yet to finish (damn expensive epoxy!)... A WS Velociraptor which will show (sooner or later) a new, more up to date feathered look!

As you can see, i repositioned the hands and almost covered him in fuzzy feathers; after this first phase will be completed, i'll add the pennaceous feathers on the arms (not too long, though... I guess V. Mongoliensis didn't have microraptor-like "wings", but something simpler) and then i'll paint him.

Stay tuned!  ;D

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Himmapaan

Sharptooth

Eh eh... Surely it won't be as good as your customized Papo Oviraptor (that was a MASTERPIECE, no less) but, hey, if i don't feather this poor fellow, who else will?   ;)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Patrx

Quote from: HimmapaanOh, I'm looking forward to this!  :D
As am I! This figure has a lot of potential - I mean, the proportions and basic anatomy are pretty spot-on. It still astounds me that Safari released a scaly raptor with pronated wings in 2005 - glad you've endeavored to fix it!

Quotei'll add the pennaceous feathers on the arms (not too long, though... I guess V. Mongoliensis didn't have microraptor-like "wings", but something simpler) and then i'll paint him.
Hm, where d'you get that? Most modern reconstructions I've seen give Velociraptor some pretty substantial wings. Also, I think the consensus is that its body was covered by pennaceous feathers, rather than some type of "fuzz" or "proto-feathers". Mind, I may have missed some new study or similar, so do correct me if you've heard otherwise lately. Either way, I think the feather coat you've got textured in now could pass for pennaceous integument, just a bit scruffy - which works well for Velociraptor, if you ask me. All in all, it looks like a very promising start :)

Himmapaan

It's tricky. They had pennacious feathers, but they weren't yet the same kind as those on modern birds. I need to find that diagram with all the feather stages...

But I think this looks great and definitely works as scruffy feathers.  ;D

Sharptooth

The problem with many restorations of ground-dwelling dromies, IMHO, is that their creators try too much to make 'em look like modern birds, while, if you look at their skeletons, there were some key differences.
They had teeth, (probably) lips, a long, somewhat flexible tail, but the most important feature that makes me guess their "wings" were not as developed as in their twittering and flying successors is their hands.

If i'm not mistaken, Carpenter in 2001 and some other recent studies whose author i've forgotten (my bad!) strongly suggested that raptor's hands and fingers were quite flexible and mobile and that the articulation of the wrist made basically impossible for 'em to fold the arm in true avian fashion... So you have a feathered animal (Velociraptor in thi case) that could not completely fold his arms, has fully functional hands and, at the same time, has pennaceous feathers (as evidenced by those quill knobs); my assumption is that his arm feathers were quite short if compared to modern (or microraptorian) standards, thus preventing contact with ground and allowing mobility of the hands.  ;)

ZoPteryx

Horridus

I've read the opposite - that the fingers weren't terribly mobile.

But it doesn't matter, as such feather details aren't known when it comes to Velociraptor - so short feathers are fine (as long as they attach to the right finger...and not the wrist!). In any case, it's already a big improvement over the bafflingly retrograde original!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Sharptooth

The studies i read said that their hands and fingers were quite mobile... One was made by Carpenter in 2001 and the other by Sullivan in 2011.

Oh well, either way i'll surely attach the feathers to the second hand finger  ;)

Sharptooth

Yoo-oooh, new pics of my customized WS raptor:

As you can see, i feathered all his body, except for the feet and the snout, but... Where are his arms?

There they are! Sadly i've to cut 'em to make the wings, and sadly those wings are not what i had in mind at first... I wanted to make 'em sharper, more refined, but my skills are not good enough to completely match my ideas and their practical outcomes  :P

Oh well, i'll try to refine 'em when the putty will be solid enough to work on it, stay tuned!!!  ;)

Himmapaan

The wings are tricky! But they look good so far! If it helps at all, when I customised my 'Ovinutrix'*, I cut out rough wing shapes from card first and attached them to the arms, then sculpted the feathers onto that. The same method was used for the tail fan. I know it's a little late for your wings now, but perhaps that might be something for future customs.

*Deliberate use.

Sharptooth

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 23, 2012, 08:12:59 PM
The wings are tricky! If it helps at all, when I customised my 'Ovinutrix'*, I cut out rough wing shapes from card first and attached them to the arms, then sculpted the feathers onto that. The same method was used for the tail fan. I know it's a little late for your wings now, but perhaps that might be something for future customs.

*Deliberate use.

Wonderful advice, thanks!  ;)

And now that i think about it, maybe it's NOT too late to "save" the wings of my raptor... the putty is still pretty soft, maybe i can try with your method! Again thanks!  8)

DinoFan45

It looks good,can't wait to see more.
"Life will find a way."

Sharptooth

Thanks to the glorious advice of Himmapaan i remade the wings and, even if they're still not what i had in mind well, this time i got closer:

Close-up:

another view:

Almost finished... Don't worry buddy, soon you'll sport a new, colorful coat!  ;)

Looks better, mh?

darylj

Sharptooth

Himmapaan

Oh, so excited!!  :D :D It's going to look amazing! 

Sharptooth

Glad you like it too... If not for your help, it would have not turned out so good  8)

I only have to add a lil' patch of feathers on the elbows and then it will be ready for the paint.

DinoFan45

It looks great, can't wait to see it painted!
"Life will find a way."

Yutyrannus

I don't know if it's too late or not, but I think think the velociraptor's wings should be folded up against his side.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: