News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 15, 2021, 06:34:45 PM
Its remarkable what you're doing, how big will the finished piece be?

It's 1:1 scale but its about done as a half body piece.  It's right now about 18'? long.  from nose to hips.   this attaches to a 6x4x10' platform already built.

Dinoreplicas

Love how the Giga is going, look forward to seeing more.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoreplicas on February 18, 2021, 03:41:02 PM
Love how the Giga is going, look forward to seeing more.

Thanks!  heres a couple more. Heat and shrink heat and shrink heat and....

Dinoreplicas

Stegotyranno420

I love how bulky it is. Im tired of seeing skinny and slim gigas

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoreplicas on February 18, 2021, 05:21:53 PM
I need one for the garden  :)

Gonna need a BIG garden..and he'll likely eat the neighbor's cats but you will have toss him a cow now and then. ;)

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 18, 2021, 05:28:21 PM
I love how bulky it is. Im tired of seeing skinny and slim gigas

Thanks. My main references were S. Hartman's skeletal and the Vitae ( it was cheap) and the Eofauna ( not as cheap ).  I definetly packed more muscle on around the shoulder blades, I like knowing where they are but not to the point you see them.  It makes me sound a bit lazy but maybe other artists will understand, but it's actually easier to round out areas and fill in bones so you don't have as much work to do and they look healthier as well. It took me awhile to understand that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

With the rough weather I decided to pick this guy up and finish him. Been sitting on my shelf in primer since about this time last year lol

Sculpted and sold by Joe Laudati, built and painted by myself.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations that retro has been insurmountable well. On the other hand, the giganotosaurus has remained from a movie. Great jobs.

But honestly, that "retro" dinosaur is a superior figure in your works, regardless that this figure is based on the work Joe Laudati.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 21, 2021, 06:24:47 PM
My congratulations that retro has been insurmountable well. On the other hand, the giganotosaurus has remained from a movie. Great jobs.

But honestly, that "retro" dinosaur is a superior figure in your works, regardless that this figure is based on the work Joe Laudati.

Thank you!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Stegotyranno420

wow that was amazing
S @Stolpergeist im sorry but I am guilty of using red crests on my giganotosaurus hah ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 24, 2021, 03:26:55 AM
The reticulated pattern is very pretty, also love the blue crests, very underrated as colour as opposed to the overused red.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 24, 2021, 03:57:51 AM
How that was amazing
S @Stolpergeist im sorry but I am guilty of using red crests on my giganotosaurus hah ;D

Thanks!  Yeah I use red a LOT in herbivores and carnivores..thought I'd try something a little different. I did use about 5 different shades of blue for the Cryolophosaurus.  The reticulated pattern is similar to my Triceratops but I added more yellow and orange with a slightly different pattern, as it continues down the body it will look a bit more varanid in appearance.  I'm oddly getting to a point where picking color schemes that are different is getting quite difficult.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Query. I've looked over the last paper I know of regarding Styracosaurus and looked at the many toys and models and I can't get a consensus the space between the eyes and how wide it is.  Same for the level of the frill.  Most have it turned far down to the sides. The safari Ltd shows it flat like a chasmosaurus The collecta one is in between.  Is there a right way?

Styracosaurus V2

Going to try and work on this one at the same time as my new Styracosaurus.  My plan was a sitting or laying pose. Not sure on the neck yet. Looks a bit too long still.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Halichoeres

I think the holotype skull is fairly flattened, but I don't know if that's how it was in life or just a product of taphonomic distortion.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2021, 03:59:06 PM
I think the holotype skull is fairly flattened, but I don't know if that's how it was in life or just a product of taphonomic distortion.

Right and I can't find any evidence one way or the other.  Some curve it others are going flat, seems particularly true for the newer ones.  Some  other species seem to have very flat frills so there is possibly something there?  I don't know really. Might have also been a growth issue, characteristic of sex or variance individual to individual.

Pachyrhinosaurus

This looks like an exciting build so far.

YDAW did a good video (/watch?v=caUVRB-FXOA&t) featuring styracosaurus that might help you if you're concerned about accuracy. They get into some details with the frill but don't mention the angle relative to the head.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 27, 2021, 04:04:37 AM
This looks like an exciting build so far.

YDAW did a good video (/watch?v=caUVRB-FXOA&t) featuring styracosaurus that might help you if you're concerned about accuracy. They get into some details with the frill but don't mention the angle relative to the head.

He did mention a few points that are newer info, shorter nasal horn, horns on the frill straight not curved back...but yeah not much on the frill other than the outside shape.   Thinking about it's use, display and protecting the neck, with those horns a straighter frill makes more sense. You would want them more out to the side and not aimed toward your body?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: