News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 01, 2024, 12:31:36 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 29, 2024, 09:17:30 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 29, 2024, 03:58:33 PMYou won't find much useful information on Elasmosaurus itself, it's poorly known from a single incomplete specimen. Replicas of Elasmosaurus are mostly reconstructed, see for example the Triebold replica: https://plesiosauria.com/the-university-of-british-columbias-new-elasmosaurus/

That would be where I found the skull image..as you said  I couldn't find much. So I used it and these references from Brantworks : https://brantworks.com/elasmosaurus-skeleton.php

I think other artists have done the same as well.

Mostly I wanted name recognition and it's a little easier on the tongue.  Is there anything and I know thats a really broad ask, that would differentiate Elasmosaurus from Libonectes ? Or prevent me from using one and calling it the other?  I've not looked into Thalassomedon either yet but I seemed to recall it's skull was more rounded and less elongated?

Well since we don't really know what Elasmosaurus looked like it's difficult to make meaningful comparisons. The holotype of Elasmosaurus is essentially now just a string of vertebrae and a teeny bit of the tip of the snout. One difference is the number of vertebrae and length of the neck, Elasmosaurus is longer. If you're set on depicting Elasmosaurus then you'll have to fill in the gaps with other elasmosaurs, in which case, pick species closely related to Elasmosaurus. But even that isn't so simple as some family trees resolve Elasmosaurus and Libonectes in a close relationship, while others don't!

It's a wonder so many models/replicas of it exist.  What did Cope use for the original?

Blade-of-the-Moon

So I guess I'm going with Plan B and that's Thalassomedon.

Found a couple skull references.

http://oceansofkansas.com/Plesiosaurs/2THAL01.jpg

But this one is vastly different:

I'm a bit confused about which is more..correct?

There are a few good 3D skull replica references here, if they are a good reconstruction.
http://oceansofkansas.com/Pleskull.html

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2024, 06:09:27 AMSo I guess I'm going with Plan B and that's Thalassomedon.

There are a few good 3D skull replica references here, if they are a good reconstruction.

Thalassomedon is a better choice because it is more well known, and the largest American elasmosaurid (11.6 m) last time I heard. The holotype skull is complete but crushed and distorted, so there is some leeway in the reconstructions. I'd go with the second more up to date version, and I've uploaded a recent paper by Sachs et al. (2021) to my website so you can see the skull material for yourself (https://plesiosauria.com/pdf/sachs_etal_2021_thalassomedon.pdf). I've also uploaded the original description of the preserved parts of the skeleton of Thalassomedon by Welles (1943) (https://plesiosauria.com/pdf/welles_1943_elasmosaurid_plesiosaurs.pdf), see p. 152. It's not going to be much use for a life restoration, but the paper also contains a full body reconstruction of another elasmosaurid, Hydrotherosaurus, which is possibly the most completely known elasmosaurid.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 01, 2024, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2024, 06:09:27 AMSo I guess I'm going with Plan B and that's Thalassomedon.

Thalassomedon is a better choice because it is more well known, and the largest American elasmosaurid (11.6 m) last time I heard. The holotype skull is complete but crushed and distorted, so there is some leeway in the reconstructions. I'd go with the second more up to date version, and I've uploaded a recent paper by Sachs et al. (2021) to my website so you can see the skull material for yourself (https://plesiosauria.com/pdf/sachs_etal_2021_thalassomedon.pdf). I've also uploaded the original description of the preserved parts of the skeleton of Thalassomedon by Welles (1943) (https://plesiosauria.com/pdf/welles_1943_elasmosaurid_plesiosaurs.pdf), see p. 152. It's not going to be much use for a life restoration, but the paper also contains a full body reconstruction of another elasmosaurid, Hydrotherosaurus, which is possibly the most completely known elasmosaurid.

Awesome! Thank you, I'll get to work on it tonight.  This one may not be built til next year but I may get the head done. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Stegouros mom and hatchlings added to the park today.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2024, 04:25:20 AMStegouros mom and hatchlings added to the park today.

Looks fantastic, great work! Where in the park have you placed them so I can update the map?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 08, 2024, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2024, 04:25:20 AMStegouros mom and hatchlings added to the park today.

Looks fantastic, great work! Where in the park have you placed them so I can update the map?

It's on a whole new trail I added with some switchbacks vs incline for those who want it a little easier. I'll sketch it in with paint and show you.  The Jakapil is also going in this area along with the Guanlong too and the pterosaurs when they come in.

I'm also redoing this building in the park with a lot of small dinosaurs, Leptoceratops, Scutellosaurus, Shuuvia, ect. .and some early crocodiliforms.  Not sure what to call it or label it yet.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Perhaps the Mini Menagerie?

triceratops83

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - You're not worried about hoodlums pinching the "baby" Stegouros?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 09, 2024, 01:52:35 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - You're not worried about hoodlums pinching the "baby" Stegouros?

They are secured to a piece of plexiglass hidden under the leaves which is anchored down. They could maybe pull them loose as some have stolen our baby Kentrosaurus and baby Protoceratops in the past but it would look rather suspicious walking out with that big a piece I think. Not much else I can do unfortunately. 

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

I had to move the closeup of Terrors of the Deep to put the trail in.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2024, 05:36:59 AM
Quote from: triceratops83 on March 09, 2024, 01:52:35 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - You're not worried about hoodlums pinching the "baby" Stegouros?

They are secured to a piece of plexiglass hidden under the leaves which is anchored down. They could maybe pull them loose as some have stolen our baby Kentrosaurus and baby Protoceratops in the past but it would look rather suspicious walking out with that big a piece I think. Not much else I can do unfortunately. 

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

I had to move the closeup of Terrors of the Deep to put the trail in.

Thanks! I'll make these edits and update the 'coming soon' loop to a proper path. I'll move the snake (43) and Nemicolopterus (37) as you've indicated.

I'd also be interested to see photographs and/or a plan of the building/structure containing the 'Mini Menagerie' (Mini Monsters, Critter Corner? ) when that's done, as I could do an inset close up for that as well if you like.

Also, I never quite got the vegetation to look how I envisioned (more like your original map), so I might revisit that as well...

DinoToyForum

Are all the paths and dinosaurs in the right positions?

dinopark_layout12.png

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 09, 2024, 02:32:48 PMAre all the paths and dinosaurs in the right positions?

dinopark_layout12.png

It's saying You cannot view this attachment?

I can take some pics today, it's about 90% complete.

I like the names. I was thinking maybe Little or Tiny Terrors ? In keeping with the park theme? People might leave their kids there though lol

I forgot to write it in, but where the snake was is the big Rex head busting through the fence and raptor cage photo op.

DinoToyForum

It was a permission setting I missed for moderators. How 'bout now?

DinoToyForum

I like Tiny Terrors but you already have "terrors" in Terrors of the Deep. How about Mini-Monsters? Or Dinky-Dinos.

I'll add the T. rex head bursting through to the list? I could label it 21 to match the key for the other T. rex. Edit, I have done this, see updated image.

Where are you planning to put the Thalassomedon when it its done - there isn't much space in Terrors of the Deep!?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 09, 2024, 04:11:03 PMIt was a permission setting I missed for moderators. How 'bout now?

Works now. :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 10, 2024, 01:52:37 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 09, 2024, 04:11:03 PMIt was a permission setting I missed for moderators. How 'bout now?

Great! Did I get the path and all the dinos in the right new positions?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 09, 2024, 04:17:21 PMI like Tiny Terrors but you already have "terrors" in Terrors of the Deep. How about Mini-Monsters? Or Dinky-Dinos.

I'll add the T. rex head bursting through to the list? I could label it 21 to match the key for the other T. rex. Edit, I have done this, see updated image.

Where are you planning to put the Thalassomedon when it its done - there isn't much space in Terrors of the Deep!?

I do sort of fits the theme? lol I hesitate to call prehistoric animals monsters unless I add Godzilla to the park or something similar, retro -dinos.  There are more dinos in the exhibit vs non-dinos for now I do have plenty of space to add more though. See attached pics. It;s technically open already I just need a couple signs installed.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 10, 2024, 02:07:48 AM

Yes you did :)  I'll have the Jakapil, Ouranosaurus and Majungasaurus out in the park too hopefully by the end of the month or first of April.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 10, 2024, 02:16:27 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 10, 2024, 02:07:48 AM

Yes you did :)  I'll have the Jakapil, Ouranosaurus and Majungasaurus out in the park too hopefully by the end of the month or first of April.

Let me know where you place them so I can add them to the map, along with the Tiny Terrors. Thanks for the pics! It's quite a small area, much smaller than the building itself by the look of it, is it just the one door in and out? But I think it's still worth doing an inset plan for it.

You're so prolific I can hardly keep up!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: