News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 18, 2024, 01:45:24 PMThe elasmosaur looks amazing, well done!

Thanks for the seal of approval!  ^-^

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 18, 2024, 03:13:05 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 18, 2024, 01:45:24 PMThe elasmosaur looks amazing, well done!

I can't wait to see (and help you with) the rest of the body when you get there! 8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 18, 2024, 06:14:31 PM

I can't wait to see (and help you with) the rest of the body when you get there! 8)

I'll try to get at it as soon as I finish this new Juv. Brachio and Quetzalcoatlus to replace the existing damaged versions. :) I think I posted a side view and a top view if you can check out and ok those?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2024, 04:32:23 AM

I'll try to get at it as soon as I finish this new Juv. Brachio and Quetzalcoatlus to replace the existing damaged versions. :) I think I posted a side view and a top view if you can check out and ok those?

I scrolled back but I think those pictures have gone missing.

If you want to be sure the images in your forum posts are permanent, don't upload and link them to Facebook (which is constantly changing the urls), upload and link them to your own website instead. You could even recording all this work as posts on the blog section of your website anyway. :)

Also, do you have plans to add more dinosaur pages to your site? I'd like to see you add a page for each species!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 19, 2024, 10:47:55 AM

If you want to be sure the images in your forum posts are permanent, don't upload and link them to Facebook (which is constantly changing the urls), upload and link them to your own website instead. You could even recording all this work as posts on the blog section of your website anyway. :)

Also, do you have plans to add more dinosaur pages to your site? I'd like to see you add a page for each species!

Here it is again :

I use FB because that's where I keep the full albums.  I know I should use other sites, I do upload to my DA account and share from time to time but it's pretty far between.   I need something that posts across all accounts at the same time when I do something lol I just haven't a ton of time.   

I honestly haven't checked out the website in awhile, I would need to reteach myself what to do again.  I get in the habit of " that's done, next project." things get checked off and I move on and it takes me a long time to revisit something.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2024, 06:31:42 PM

Here it is again :

I use FB because that's where I keep the full albums.  I know I should use other sites, I do upload to my DA account and share from time to time but it's pretty far between.   I need something that posts across all accounts at the same time when I do something lol I just haven't a ton of time.   

I honestly haven't checked out the website in awhile, I would need to reteach myself what to do again.  I get in the habit of " that's done, next project." things get checked off and I move on and it takes me a long time to revisit something.

Thanks, I'll give some feedback on the plesiosaur later. :)

I'm happy to help you add pages/posts and images to your Wordpress website, but it's so simple and non-technical I bet you wouldn't even need me. There are loads of online guides to show you how to do it, but its no more difficult than writing and sending an email with attachments.

Really your website should be where you post ALL of your content first, since you own and control it. You're treating Facebook like its your website, but your website is your website! Facebook is a different website, which makes money out of the content you upload to it. You know you can create albums on your site if you want, where you can manage your photos properly. The image urls certainly won't change unless you choose to change them! Then, you can use social media and places like this forum share your content and direct people to your website by targeting specific audiences.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 19, 2024, 07:15:14 PM

Here it is again :

I'm happy to help you add pages/posts and images to your Wordpress website, but it's so simple and non-technical I bet you wouldn't even need me. There are loads of online guides to show you how to do it, but its no more difficult than writing and sending an email with attachments.

Really your website should be where you post ALL of your content first, since you own and control it. You're treating Facebook like its your website, but your website is your website! Facebook is a different website, which makes money out of the content you upload to it. You know you can create albums on your site if you want, where you can manage your photos properly. The image urls certainly won't change unless you choose to change them! Then, you can use social media and places like this forum share your content and direct people to your website by targeting specific audiences.

That's true. It just seems I have more reach on FB vs my own site. It's good to have for people needing information and to looks professional as well,  just I'm not connecting with people on it or it doesn't feel like it?  I talk to a lot of folks while I'm working in person here, people seem to appreciate it. FB used to be how I connected the most, we have over 30k followers but they have altered the algorithms so much it's hard to keep up.  I would love to turn all our social media over to someone else..I just feel like I'm constantly pushing to get things done?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 20, 2024, 07:25:36 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 19, 2024, 07:15:14 PM

Here it is again :

That's true. It just seems I have more reach on FB vs my own site. It's good to have for people needing information and to looks professional as well,  just I'm not connecting with people on it or it doesn't feel like it?  I talk to a lot of folks while I'm working in person here, people seem to appreciate it. FB used to be how I connected the most, we have over 30k followers but they have altered the algorithms so much it's hard to keep up.  I would love to turn all our social media over to someone else..I just feel like I'm constantly pushing to get things done?

"It just seems I have more reach on FB vs my own site." It seems that way because you've spent years fostering an audience in good faith on Facebook instead of on your website. But Facebook have taken you and millions others (including me) for a ride, deviously implementing a bait and switch, so only a fraction of those 30k followers will see your posts in their feeds unless you pay for them to be boosted. Their algorithm is pretty simple in that regard: pay us money and we'll show your posts to your many followers, don't pay us and we'll only show your posts to a few (or none at all). Please please don't ever pay them money!

If you started to post your Facebook-style updates as blog posts instead, you'd quickly grow your native audience, increase traffic, generate discussion in the comments of your website, and build up a list of blog followers/subscribers (that you don't have to pay to reach), all the while improving your "search engine optimisation". The more regularly you update your website and the more content you add to it, the more discoverable it will become on search engines, and the more people will link to it from their websites and social media accounts. The potential "reach" of your website is orders of magnitude greater than the reach of a Facebook page. I just checked your website traffic and last week you had about 600 unique visitors who viewed 1.5k page. That's pretty impressive considering you don't yet update the site regularly. Imagine if you did. Obviously your website is there to promote the park, but it could also be a destination in its own right, where people can experience your creation virtually.

You could still maintain your Facebook page to "reach" just as many people there as before (and other social media platforms), by posting links to the new content on your site (and maybe one representative picture). My own analysis for the DinoToyBlog Facebook page, however, has shown it simply isn't worth the effort, with some of my FB posts reaching fewer than 1% of my followers. You might be surprised how little reach Facebook has when used out of the box without any capital sunk into it.

It's is also worth mentioning that Wordpress is now integrated into the Social Web (i.e. the Fediverse including Mastodon), so you can choose to automatically make your site followable (and make posts visible, likeable, and commentable) on the Social Web, without having to do anything at all other than activate a plugin. And the comments on Social Web magically feed back directly to your website.

In summary, my advice is, the best way to reach more people is to keep your Facebook page but prioritise your website. :) It's just my opinion and others may disagree!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Elasmosaur head is done :

Progress on new Juv. Brachiosaurus

She's got a great smile..very cute and happy.

DinoToyForum

Blade-of-the-Moon

Saarlooswolfhound

Both projects look amazing! But I gotta say, that baby brachi is truly heartwarming. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on April 28, 2024, 09:10:56 PMBoth projects look amazing! But I gotta say, that baby brachi is truly heartwarming. :)

Thank you!  The fun part is it's natural as far as I can tell. I just followed the skull plus flesh for lips and she has this little smile lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

My view from the past few days doing wire work under the juvenile Brachiosaurus.

this Quetz head is about 5' long and weighs around 20lbs, I hope it attaches to the body with no issues.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Juv. Brachio ready to be moved and painted.  ( Peanut for scale )

DinoToyForum

Watch out Peanut, let's hope the dinosaur doesn't 'gotta go'!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on May 24, 2024, 02:28:49 PMWatch out Peanut, let's hope the dinosaur doesn't 'gotta go'!

To think he feels safe there..  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

One Millions Years BC Brontosaurus sculpted by Joe Laudati and built/painted by me.  Contact him via FB to order your own copy!

triceratops83

Very nice! You must have quite the collection of Joe Laudati models by now.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on May 28, 2024, 04:45:56 AMVery nice! You must have quite the collection of Joe Laudati models by now.

lol I do have quite a few.. I just love how easy his models are to assemble and paint. Works well with my basic style. He also makes pieces I can't find anywhere else.  I'm eyeing his Thunderbird next and maybe the Gwangi VS Elephant piece. Though I'm not sure where they will go.. lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: