News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Disney's Dinoland

Started by Doug Watson, August 20, 2015, 04:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 21, 2015, 04:00:42 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 20, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 20, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
I really like the life size pieces..one more reason to get to Disney eventually.

I wonder where the Styracosaurus ended up when it was moved? Seems logical to leave it in Dinoland somewhere.

I haven't seen it unless they really tucked it away somewhere. They did recycle some of the casts from the original paleo exhibit like the Archeolon and Pteranodon. P.S. I know you would love Dinoland, the ride is a hoot, my daughter got me to take her on it 11 times on our first visit.

I bet Disney has a rather large storage area..so hopefully it's somewhere and not junked.

11 times!? Woah..did that take all day?

We went in the low season in August when it was stinking hot so the number of people was down. As fast as we got back in line we got on so from what I remember it took a morning. Then we went and got soaked on the Kali River ride to cool off.

Doug Watson

Quote from: MaastrichtianGuy on August 21, 2015, 04:06:56 AM
now please tell me that disney did a good job on the ride the museum which nowadays isn't there anymore where that tylosaurus skeleton and all the other dinosaur skeleton mounts are the merchandise that were made for the area plus the ride the boneyard and plus the restaurants food stands and the dinosaur ride gift shop and that small gift stand that i saw in the park

They did.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 21, 2015, 07:14:05 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 21, 2015, 04:00:42 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 20, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 20, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
I really like the life size pieces..one more reason to get to Disney eventually.

I wonder where the Styracosaurus ended up when it was moved? Seems logical to leave it in Dinoland somewhere.

I haven't seen it unless they really tucked it away somewhere. They did recycle some of the casts from the original paleo exhibit like the Archeolon and Pteranodon. P.S. I know you would love Dinoland, the ride is a hoot, my daughter got me to take her on it 11 times on our first visit.

I bet Disney has a rather large storage area..so hopefully it's somewhere and not junked.

11 times!? Woah..did that take all day?

We went in the low season in August when it was stinking hot so the number of people was down. As fast as we got back in line we got on so from what I remember it took a morning. Then we went and got soaked on the Kali River ride to cool off.

Cool..well eventually. lol

Lusotitan

Although not at Dinoland, it is also notable that Disney also has another Dinosaur themed attraction, at Downtown Disney: T-Rex Café. If you've been to Rainforest Café, you know exactly what this is like. It's the same thing, but with dinosaurs instead of rainforest creatures. I got to go into the entrance when I was there, but I didn't get to eat there, and it looked like pretty good sized place. Wikipedia says it has a meteor shower, corresponding to the thunderstorms of RC. It also has an Ice Cave somewhere. If I ever get back to Disney, I definitely want to actually properly eat there.

stargatedalek

Oh yes I recall seeing that, the downtown area is the only part of Disney I've actually visited. I did pass on it and ate at Rain-forest Cafe however as that was my main reason for visiting (those fish tanks they have are astonishing). If I ever actually stay in that area again I might give it a try.

Doug Watson

I have some shots of the Downtown Disney T rex restaurant, I'll post them when I get a chance.

Doug Watson

Here are those shots from the T rex restaurant in Downtown Disney Orlando. Like the Rainforest Cafe which is run by the same company, T rex has no association with Disney they just rent the space. Its fun especially for children, the animatronics are Dinamation quality. We went once in 2009 and while it was neat to see, the food was very forgettable, in fact I can't remember what I had. Like Rainforest it is not cheap either. You do get big helpings though if you like that sort of thing. We went back this last May just to check out the gift shop which you can visit even if you aren't eating there and they still had a well stocked Safari ltd/Carnegie display. The shots from the exterior and interior are from 2009, the shot from the gift shop is from 2015.

Exterior shot.

T rex family.

Two T rectums. ;D

Pteranodon.

Perched Pteranodon.

Triceratops.

Another bigger Triceratops.

I believe these are supposed to be Apatosaurus.

Pachycephalosaurus, Apatosaurus & Parasaurolophus.

Parasaurolophus and entrance to Ice Cave.

Ice Cave with T rex skeleton.

Woolly Mammoth and some giant squid/octopus thingy.

Looking towards the Undersea area, they have fish tanks like the Rainforest Cafe there so if you like that you should ask for that area when you check in.

And finally the Safari display in the gift shop from this past May where I am holding two random pieces chosen for no particular reason at all. ;)
Like I said you can visit the gift shop without eating there, they have these toys, plush toys, activity toys, Tee shirts etc.

Dilopho

Oh wow! This place looks awesome! If I wasn't scared of planes and boats, I'd have gone already. That is one giant caterpillar, though!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I was there last year and already have a table booked for later this year-- truly spectacular place. The dinosaurs of course aren't that accurate but its fun nonetheless. Strangely enough, it is the only brick-and-mortar store where I've actually been able to buy Safari's Great Dinosaurs line. There's another location in Kansas City if anyone lives near there.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

We just got back from another trip to Orlando and Disney and I took a few more shots in Dinoland of items that I missed before

The signage you pass under to cross the bridge to Dinoland in Disney's Animal Kingdom

On the otherside of the bridge you cross under this cast of a Brachiosaurus, the same one you see at the Field Museum. This one is set up as though the skeleton is still being installed. Right after this is the Dino Dig where kids can uncover casts of dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals but it is impossible to get a shot without someone else's kids in it and I know some people don't like others snapping shots of their kids so I left that one alone.

Cast of an Albertosaurus skull in the queue to the Dinosaur Ride

Cast of an Anchiceratops skull in the queue to the Dinosaur Ride. There are also other casts and a diorama showing an extinct water fowl that I thought I had a photo of. I will get that on the next visit.

Cast of a Pteranodon skeleton in the rotunda where the fictitious Carnotaurus skeleton is displayed.

Cast of a Dromaeosaurus skeleton.

Toxochelys and Protostega casts.

Champsosaurus cast.

Part of a mural as you exit the ride into the gift shop.

Gift Shop exit with Acrocanthosaurus skull cast.

Bronze cast of the Disney Velociraptor from the ride. This is in a rest area at the exit of the ride.

Entrance to Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama

Other side of the sign

The actual exit under the cheesy Brontosaurus to get to Asia. One of the games they have is a version of the Whack a Mole instead here it is Whack a Pachycephalosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Great pics Doug!  Perching the Acro skull up there is a great way to protect it I guess..lol and the bronto might be cheesy..he has the color for it..but he really looks fun.  I don't mind inaccurate dinos that are intended as such. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 25, 2016, 05:22:28 PM
..lol and the bronto might be cheesy..he has the color for it..

That's funny, the colour connection never dawned on me and it was obvious, duh

stoneage

tyrantqueen

PaleoMatt

Lol it might eat trees whole like gertie too.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Cool pictures, once again!
I was googling a while ago and came across these for those who are interested:
360 views of the T-rex resturants: Here and here!

I might post some of my pictures later of Donald's Restaurantasaurus later on.
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 25, 2016, 09:26:35 PM
Cool pictures, once again!
I might post some of my pictures later of Donald's Restaurantasaurus later on.

Please do I have a couple early on in the thread from Donald's but there sure was lots left to take pictures of. Love to see them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My brother went to T-Rex last year at Disney...not one souvenir!  He won't be hearing the end og that any time soon.. ;)

Oh btw, those are all Dinamation dinos picked up after they went bankrupt in 2001.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2016, 04:57:04 PM
My brother went to T-Rex last year at Disney...not one souvenir!  He won't be hearing the end og that any time soon.. ;)

Oh btw, those are all Dinamation dinos picked up after they went bankrupt in 2001.

You can't even say ".....and all he got me was this Tee Shirt!" That's cold!

I thought the T rex especially looked familiar but I wasn't sure.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I didn't take as many as I thought I did. It was quite hard being so crowded, but here's some of the stuff in the interior. Most of the pictures were taken in the main area, but I sat in the long extension which had little dinosaur-related theming, but it was still cool, nonetheless.

[Images Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: