News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Advice for first time customizing

Started by Thagirion, May 04, 2012, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thagirion

I just ordered some Papo human figures that I want to rework. Basically I'll be doing some head switching on  a girl with long hair. I'm not sure how to get her and the hair, which is on her back, off smoothly.  What would I use to glue to the new body? And I was thinking of drilling a small hole and adding a metal rod for support to help whatever glue is used.  And then there's paint. What are good paints to use and can I find them easily at somewhere like Michael's?  I'm nervous about mutilating my figures I ordered just for this but I want to do it too. So please and advice would be most appreciated.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Thagirion on May 04, 2012, 05:58:50 PM
I just ordered some Papo human figures that I want to rework. Basically I'll be doing some head switching on  a girl with long hair. I'm not sure how to get her and the hair, which is on her back, off smoothly.  What would I use to glue to the new body? And I was thinking of drilling a small hole and adding a metal rod for support to help whatever glue is used.  And then there's paint. What are good paints to use and can I find them easily at somewhere like Michael's?  I'm nervous about mutilating my figures I ordered just for this but I want to do it too. So please and advice would be most appreciated.
A sharp Xacto knife will do the trick, use hot water or a hair dryer to soften the figure first. Problem will be the area under the hair if you are going to put another head on it. It will be rough and vinyl doesn't sand well. I would hollow out the area where the hair was and then use epoxy putty to make a new shoulder area and smooth it. I use gap filling CA glue(Cyanoacrylate or super glue). Zap-A-Gap or Mercury Adhesive or something similar.  Works a treat. If there will be stress then yes, a rod would work. But probably not needed on a head transplant. Generally water based acrylic paints like at Michael's will work. Either tube or bottle. The tube stuff is thicker and can be thinned. Possibly there might be more variety with the plastic bottle types. Neither one will react with the vinyl.

Thagirion

Ok, that is all very helpful and sounds like everything I can find at Michael's.  Thanks very much.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.