News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

WANTED: Brown Papo Running Tyrannosaurus

Started by Viking Spawn, September 04, 2015, 06:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 10, 2015, 05:50:59 AM
Quote from: joossa on September 09, 2015, 08:37:00 PM
Interesting thread, guys. Comparatively speaking, do we know if the Papo Raptor v1 is less rare? I'm assuming so? Do we know how long it was available for?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 09, 2015, 07:50:39 PM
I don't really see the big deal about this toy, no offense to anyone. If it's a case of liking the brown colour better, it would be easy to just repaint the green Tyrannosaurus. I'm not really crazy about this sculpt, either, since it's based on fantasy.
The color or the rarity or a combination of both as discussed above.

There's no big deal actually. The color is pretty boring actually.
This part of your post is like tyrantqueen's. What you mention is your opinion. The color could very well be appealing to someone and therefore, make it a big deal to acquire it.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Doug Watson

You know there is lots of stuff on the DTF that I would never in my life consider collecting i.e. Lego, Dinoriders etc but I would never go on someones thread and question why they collect it. To each there own. Also rarity is one of the main driving forces when it comes to collecting, painting a green version yourself or having someone else paint one does not make it a brown running Papo. Personally I would prefer people didn't mimic a rare version by repainting it because that piece may end up on eBay down the road say in an estate sale and the original painter won't be around to add a disclaimer.

amargasaurus cazaui

Thirty years ago a comic book dealer told me collect what you personaly love and enjoy ..if it goes up in value, consider it a plus and if it does not, remember it was something you loved anyways.
  Alot of the issue I see here is a simple enough answer...decide if you are collecting or investing......if its all about money then that is your answer...if it is all about the love of it, follow your heart....
  I cannot say I collect anything because of the potential value , related to dinosaurs. I will die with my collection ...so it is worthless. Makes things very simple for me.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 10, 2015, 02:26:33 PM
You know there is lots of stuff on the DTF that I would never in my life consider collecting i.e. Lego, Dinoriders etc but I would never go on someones thread and question why they collect it. To each there own. Also rarity is one of the main driving forces when it comes to collecting, painting a green version yourself or having someone else paint one does not make it a brown running Papo. Personally I would prefer people didn't mimic a rare version by repainting it because that piece may end up on eBay down the road say in an estate sale and the original painter won't be around to add a disclaimer.

Amen, sir. I've spent a ton of money on Lego and Playmobil dinosaur sets, but I'd never consider spending +$350 on a Sideshow statue. And it's not because I think Sideshow sucks and Lego is superior. It's just how I roll. We all love dinosaurs, but it'd be pretty damn boring around here if we all had the exact same interests and desires.

As long as you're not putting your hobby above your family, your bills, and your basic needs, then spend your money any way you so desire.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ikessauro

Quote from: joossa on September 10, 2015, 06:15:42 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on September 10, 2015, 05:50:59 AM
Quote from: joossa on September 09, 2015, 08:37:00 PM
Interesting thread, guys. Comparatively speaking, do we know if the Papo Raptor v1 is less rare? I'm assuming so? Do we know how long it was available for?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 09, 2015, 07:50:39 PM
I don't really see the big deal about this toy, no offense to anyone. If it's a case of liking the brown colour better, it would be easy to just repaint the green Tyrannosaurus. I'm not really crazy about this sculpt, either, since it's based on fantasy.
The color or the rarity or a combination of both as discussed above.

There's no big deal actually. The color is pretty boring actually.
This part of your post is like tyrantqueen's. What you mention is your opinion. The color could very well be appealing to someone and therefore, make it a big deal to acquire it.

I never said my word is the definitive truth. When I say something, it's always my own opinion. If anyone else understands it diferently, that's their problem of interpretation. Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so my ideas sometimes may come out wrong when translated.

What I meant by "boring" is that there is not much to the paint scheme, no complex patterns of stripes, spots and so on. Also, Papo didn't do much in terms of washes or dry bushes to bring out details, the color is not something inovative on a dinosaur. This is what I meant. Not to say the toy is not cool or whatever you prefer to call it. I do have it because I love it! I bought it in the first place because I am a completist. I do love Papo dinos in general and I want to have my collection complete. If I had bought it as an investiment, this would be the time to sell it. US dollar is worth almost 4 times my currency, so I'd be getting 2k for this figure in my currency if I wanted. I do not. I'd rather have my boring colored brown Papo t.rex completing my collection. ;D

Viking Spawn

To sum things up, I want this for 2 reasons....

1.  I love the T-Rex.  My favorite Dino since childhood.

2. Papos are awesome and I want to complete my collection of Papo Dinos.

It is the Grail piece of all Papo's!  I feel my collection wouldn't be complete without it! 

And like Suspsy just stated, as long as my necessities are taken care of (family, bills, etc.), this is basically a guilty pleasure.  (which it is)  I highly doubt I'll be spending this much on another Papo ever again.  But if I don't try, my collection will always have that missing link.

This thread has turned into an interesting discussion.  I'm very interested in reading everyone's opinions and both like and respect everyone's responses.   Hence is why I think this forum/community is so great!   ;)

Viking Spawn

A completist?! As Ikessauro indicated...

Yeah, I guess I'm considering myself in that category as well.   :)

Halichoeres

Yeah, man, whatever makes you happy. I'm a completist of a different sort: if somebody has made a toy of a species, even if it's really ugly or questionable, I'll probably hunt it down if it's the only one out there. I even have that horrible broken-foot hollow Pinacosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 10, 2015, 02:35:56 PM
Thirty years ago a comic book dealer told me collect what you personaly love and enjoy ..if it goes up in value, consider it a plus and if it does not, remember it was something you loved anyways.
  Alot of the issue I see here is a simple enough answer...decide if you are collecting or investing......if its all about money then that is your answer...if it is all about the love of it, follow your heart....
  I cannot say I collect anything because of the potential value , related to dinosaurs. I will die with my collection ...so it is worthless. Makes things very simple for me.

The difference with your repaints is they are original works by Martin as far as I understand they aren't meant to mimic a rare version so when you die unless you have stipulated that you want them all stuffed in your coffin with you there shouldn't be any confusion for other collectors if your estate goes up for sale. ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

I quite agree with that appraisal Doug,although I had never really given it a bit of thought. I just do what I like and never really consider how it would sell or if...since I dont plan on selling it all.
  Interesting sidenote to that comment, but I do foresee the day if Martin ever retires where his pieces become quite beloved and sought after, beyond the current pricing understanding we have for them. He has become quite iconic in his work and abilities.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 10, 2015, 10:41:10 PM
  Interesting sidenote to that comment, but I do foresee the day if Martin ever retires where his pieces become quite beloved and sought after, beyond the current pricing understanding we have for them. He has become quite iconic in his work and abilities.

All the more reason not to stuff them in your coffin or urn when you check out. :D

postsaurischian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - useless post erased - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Viking Spawn

I forgot to mention in this thread that the Brown Papo T-Rex has been found!!!!     And I couldn't be happier!!!   ^-^

PAPO RUNNING TYRANNOSAU​RUS REX (BROWN)

FULL GALLERY:

https://picasaweb.google.com/VikingSpawn/PAPORUNNINGTYRANNOSAURUSREXBROWN#

Doug Watson

Quote from: Viking Spawn on September 29, 2015, 06:20:16 AM
I forgot to mention in this thread that the Brown Papo T-Rex has been found!!!!     And I couldn't be happier!!!   ^-^

Congratulations!

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ikessauro

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2015, 01:09:41 PM
Dare I ask how much you paid for it?

I'd like to know that too. Since I've got one, it's always good to know how much it has sold for before.

Paleona

Congrats, VS!  Those are some gorgeous shots, the lighting really accentuates all the detail! 

Viking Spawn

Thanks everyone!  Also glad you liked the photos.

As for what I paid, someone claimed my bounty I had on the poor creature's head.  No one contacted me until my large offer was posted.  Unfortunately, money talks sometimes and it is something that was definitely worth it to me!   Therefore, no regrets.   ;)

Roselaar

Congratulations! But considering your mention of large offers, I don't suppose you found it at a place where there are easily more to be found...? :)

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Roselaar on September 30, 2015, 04:10:22 PM
Congratulations! But considering your mention of large offers, I don't suppose you found it at a place where there are easily more to be found...? :)

For a more reasonable price...?  Unfortunately, no.   :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: