You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CarnotaurusKing's Collection

Started by CarnotaurusKing, September 16, 2015, 05:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eocarcharia

Very nice collection! That's quite a big increase from your original post.

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on September 28, 2021, 10:12:36 PM

Safari Ltd:

Front row: Oviraptor and Velociraptor
Middle row: Suchomimus, Megatherium, Kaprosuchus, Dracorex, Stegosaurus, and Smilodon
Back row: Giganotosaurus
I think you need to feed those raptors.

Halichoeres

Some very nice choices there. I love that Colorata Paleozoic boxed set.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Eocarcharia on October 23, 2021, 10:47:18 PM
Very nice collection! That's quite a big increase from your original post.

Thanks! Yeah it's gone up by a bit to say the least since 2015 ;D Also worth mentioning, maybe 5 or so of the newer models were in my possession before, albeit not with me at the time, being in another country then.

Quote from: Eocarcharia on October 23, 2021, 10:47:18 PM
I think you need to feed those raptors.

:)) :)) It's a bit late now by the looks of things. These unrealistic beauty standards are getting out of hand.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2021, 01:50:16 PM
Some very nice choices there. I love that Colorata Paleozoic boxed set.

Thanks! I agree, the Colorata box set is a real winner. Top notch models, all of them. Set me back a pretty penny, but I'd say it was worth it. I'd also really like the Sharks Set from Colorata, someday.

CarnotaurusKing

(From left to right)
Safari Ltd Einiosaurus, Deinosuchus, and CollectA Dolichorhynchops.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisitions. You are fortunate to have acquired that Safari Carnegie deinosuchus is the best of its kind closely followed by its Schleich counterpart.

Halichoeres

Good job getting the Einiosaurus while the getting's good. It's a great figure, odd and lamentable that it was discontinued so soon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Congrats on your new acquisitions, there are many delightful figures in your collection.
And such a shame about that beautiful Einiosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 14, 2021, 09:51:54 AM
My congratulations on your new acquisitions. You are fortunate to have acquired that Safari Carnegie deinosuchus is the best of its kind closely followed by its Schleich counterpart.

Thanks! It's the best model of Deinosuchus available, for sure. Shame it's a bit outdated (snout should be pretty much the same length as the back of the head, should have more rounded osteoderms). Nice model though, and in 1/35 too, so W.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 16, 2021, 04:34:57 PM
Good job getting the Einiosaurus while the getting's good. It's a great figure, odd and lamentable that it was discontinued so soon.

It really is a gorgeous model, and I agree, it's anyone's guess why it was retired so quick. And it's a trend with Safari Ltd where fantastic models croak so quickly (Scutosaurus, Inostrancevia, Nasutoceratops, Gryposaurus, Nigersaurus, the Prehistoric Sharks Toob) while rather middling models continue to linger (the Great Dinos, that 90s T.rex that was repainted in 2019).

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 16, 2021, 08:15:33 PM
Congrats on your new acquisitions, there are many delightful figures in your collection.
And such a shame about that beautiful Einiosaurus.

Thanks!
Agreed, such a beautiful model retired so soon.

Eocarcharia

Great additions, especially the Einiosaurus (as others have said). One of my favorite of Safari's ceratopsians.

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on November 17, 2021, 05:38:07 PM

It really is a gorgeous model, and I agree, it's anyone's guess why it was retired so quick. And it's a trend with Safari Ltd where fantastic models croak so quickly (Scutosaurus, Inostrancevia, Nasutoceratops, Gryposaurus, Nigersaurus, the Prehistoric Sharks Toob) while rather middling models continue to linger (the Great Dinos, that 90s T.rex that was repainted in 2019).
I think it's a matter of popularity. The A-listers like T. rex will always sell no matter how good or bad, accurate or not, the figure is, as evidenced by Safari still producing all the different T. rexes they've made over the decades, as well as the Great Dinos like you mentioned. Children (and their parents buying for them) are always the primary consumer base for a company like Safari, and pretty much any kid would rather have T. rex, Triceratops, or Stegosaurus than one of the more obscure species that you listed there. Which is not to say that they shouldn't just for our sake, of course.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Eocarcharia on December 08, 2021, 10:37:14 PM
Great additions, especially the Einiosaurus (as others have said). One of my favorite of Safari's ceratopsians.

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on November 17, 2021, 05:38:07 PM

I think it's a matter of popularity. The A-listers like T. rex will always sell no matter how good or bad, accurate or not, the figure is, as evidenced by Safari still producing all the different T. rexes they've made over the decades, as well as the Great Dinos like you mentioned. Children (and their parents buying for them) are always the primary consumer base for a company like Safari, and pretty much any kid would rather have T. rex, Triceratops, or Stegosaurus than one of the more obscure species that you listed there. Which is not to say that they shouldn't just for our sake, of course.

Alas, tis the unfortunate truth. And Safari is not the only one guilty of this. More irksome for me, personally, is CollectA still producing all four versions of their gangly Mardis-Gras rex. And Papo's Tupuxuara and Pachyrhinosaurus croaking after just a few years. And Schleich's Diabloceratops.

Also, I have a bit of a backlog from the last days of 2021.

Back-left (top to bottom): Creative-Beast Zuniceratops, Kosmoceratops and Spiclypeus

Back-right (clockwise from top-left): Toyway Ophthalmosaurus, PNSO Tyrannosaurus and Creative-Beast Triceratops

Front (left to right): PNSO Livyatan, Papo Acrocanthosaurus, Schleich Desmatosuchus, PNSO Cretoxyrhina and Invicta Cetiosaurus

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Varanops

Impressive collection.  I'm especially envious of the WWD Toyway Ophthalmosaurus.  I've tried for many years to lay hands on one, but have been unsuccessful thus far.  And you are correct in your assumption that the Forum does not countenance profanity.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Varanops on January 10, 2022, 04:07:19 PM
Impressive collection.  I'm especially envious of the WWD Toyway Ophthalmosaurus.  I've tried for many years to lay hands on one, but have been unsuccessful thus far.  And you are correct in your assumption that the Forum does not countenance profanity.

Ah, very well then, I'll fix that. Sorry about that.
It is a beautiful model. Mine is a bit beat up, but a phenomenal model, nonetheless. Hope you can find one!

There is one here, and it looks to be in better shape than mine, but pricier as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBC-Walking-with-Dinosaurs-Opthalmosaurus-Dinosaur-Model-by-Toyway-Rare-/124978741847?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

stoneage

If you look you can buy the Toyway Ophthalmosaurus and 6 other Toyway figures for half the price.

Shonisaurus

C @CarnotaurusKing My congratulations on all your new acquisitions you have obtained a vintage dinosaur like the Invicta cetiosaurus for me the best that exists in my collection and prehistoric animals that have been discontinued. Your new acquisitions are varied, you have even acquired dinosaurs from BoTM and PNSO for your collection, which are the latest brands. I'm glad for you.

Halichoeres

Nice mix of old treasures and new loot! The Ophthalmosaurus is one of the standouts of the WWD line. I'm curious how well that glow-in-the-dark Zuniceratops shines!

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: stoneage on January 10, 2022, 11:14:19 PM
If you look you can buy the Toyway Ophthalmosaurus and 6 other Toyway figures for half the price.

S @stoneage Very good point! They're right, V @Varanops don't stop looking yet. This was just the first one I could find.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 11, 2022, 10:54:10 AM
C @CarnotaurusKing My congratulations on all your new acquisitions you have obtained a vintage dinosaur like the Invicta cetiosaurus for me the best that exists in my collection and prehistoric animals that have been discontinued. Your new acquisitions are varied, you have even acquired dinosaurs from BoTM and PNSO for your collection, which are the latest brands. I'm glad for you.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thank you! The Cetiosaurus is a very nice model, despite its age.

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2022, 03:50:09 PM
Nice mix of old treasures and new loot! The Ophthalmosaurus is one of the standouts of the WWD line. I'm curious how well that glow-in-the-dark Zuniceratops shines!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thank you! I am rather new to this hobby, only getting into it with the death of the Carnegie Collection and the (brief) rebirth of the Battat line, so I have a bit of catch-up to do  ;D
True, it is one of the rarest, and among the figures that has held up the best in terms of accuracy 22 years later. Pretty sizeable figure too, and adorable.
It glows pretty well honestly, though my 3-pixel Android isn't the best at showing it  :(

Halichoeres

C @CarnotaurusKing Shiny things are definitely hard to photograph with a smartphone, but this gives me a general idea. That's a pretty strong glow! Thanks for the photos.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 24, 2022, 05:27:45 PM
C @CarnotaurusKing Shiny things are definitely hard to photograph with a smartphone, but this gives me a general idea. That's a pretty strong glow! Thanks for the photos.

It really is, and my phone's camera is even otherwise a bit lacking (just look at most other pictures I've posted  ;D). Glad you understand. And no problem!

CarnotaurusKing

Here are the figures I've bought, or been gifted, since the beginning of 2022.

(From top to bottom, left to right)
CollectA Xiphactinus, Mini Prehistoric Sea Animals, Kinder Triceratops, Dimorphodon, and Ankylosaurus.

The Kinder models are gifts from my sister. On the right, you'll see a Spinosaurus tooth,  which was gifted to me by my mom in May/June last year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CollectA Xiphactinus - no qualms with this model, a very realistic model with a very nice paintjob and finish. Not a fish expert, but most sources claim it to be very accurate, so I'll do the same. 10/10

CollectA Mini Prehistoric Sea Animals - some very detailed figures here, for being so small. Not an expert, but the more experienced have spoken highly of it, so I'm convinced. I especially love the Archelon and ammonoids. No complaints. 9/10

Kinder Minis - they're cute and are fun to put together and take apart, and I like that they come with skeletons. 7/10

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on all your new acquisitions. By the way, is the spinosaurus tooth real or is it an imitation? It's very pretty anyway. Collecta's xiphactinus is extremely beautiful, pity it wasn't a little bigger. I am very passionate about prehistoric fish and the prehistoric marine world. On the other hand, the miniatures of the marine world of Collecta is highly recommended, I am happy for you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: