News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2015 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, September 28, 2015, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to ten [10] dioramas

1. Velociraptor rampage
19 (9.7%)
2. The Little Red Riding Hood and Mr. Allosaurus
29 (14.8%)
3. Flight or fancy?
7 (3.6%)
4. Jurassic titans
78 (39.8%)
5. Maternal instincts
7 (3.6%)
6. Family of the forest
54 (27.6%)
7. This Triceratops ain't big enough for the both of us
11 (5.6%)
8. Uninvited guests
70 (35.7%)
9. Rearguard action
18 (9.2%)
10. Uphill battle
5 (2.6%)
11. Born to die
21 (10.7%)
12. Beyond coma and despair (countless days without water)
37 (18.9%)
13. Sushi!
14 (7.1%)
14. Something wicked this way comes
8 (4.1%)
15. Strategizing
17 (8.7%)
16. Last of the evening sun
51 (26%)
17. Eat this leaf son and you'll get stronger
4 (2%)
18. Hunting lesson
12 (6.1%)
19. The day Jimi HendRex couldn't find his guitar...
59 (30.1%)
20. Primeval disagreement
20 (10.2%)
21. The callous reaper
11 (5.6%)
22. Forgotten forest
16 (8.2%)
23. Startled by the vacuum cleaner
44 (22.4%)
24. The triumph of the skies
53 (27%)
25. Ferns for breakfast again
72 (36.7%)
26. Bite me!
0 (0%)
27. Ceratopsian scattering!
26 (13.3%)
28. The endgame
8 (4.1%)
29. Hard to swallow buffet
13 (6.6%)
30. Morning meal
4 (2%)
31. Waterhole trap
8 (4.1%)
32. The reckless Troodon
5 (2.6%)
33. Here comes trouble
49 (25%)
34. A southern meal to go
6 (3.1%)
35. Fight or flight
3 (1.5%)
36. Squabble
16 (8.2%)
37. Eye to eye
4 (2%)
38. Through stormy skies
24 (12.2%)
39. Raptors on the hunt
9 (4.6%)
40. Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933
46 (23.5%)
41. T-Rex trouble
19 (9.7%)
42. The wild and the innocents
50 (25.5%)
43. Confronting the raging tyrants
4 (2%)
44. Do you tango? - Argentinian scene
16 (8.2%)
45. Sneaking predator
3 (1.5%)
46. King of the hill
10 (5.1%)
47. Blue lagoon
60 (30.6%)
48. Such a peaceful day
2 (1%)
49. Jurassic chaser
14 (7.1%)
50. Cretaceous clifftop call
31 (15.8%)
51. Nothing to me?
2 (1%)
52. Take me with you
42 (21.4%)
53. Triassica - the feast
11 (5.6%)
54. One for the road
19 (9.7%)
55. When hunger strikes you take risks
15 (7.7%)
56. Euh-ohplocephalus
1 (0.5%)
57. His domain/Triassic sunset
31 (15.8%)
58. Catch
20 (10.2%)
59. Please, Ms. Olorotitan. Do not judge a hadrosaur by the size of his crest
9 (4.6%)
60. Gardeners of the river
50 (25.5%)
61. Chinese chain reaction
30 (15.3%)
62. Let's fight!
3 (1.5%)
63. To go up or to go down? That is the cretacic question
8 (4.1%)
64. Terror stalks lakeside
14 (7.1%)
65. Get out of my tree!
6 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Voting closed: October 28, 2015, 06:50:17 PM

Mitko

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who participated!

Mine was #55 When hunger strikes you take risks.
:)

DinoG

I picked the first 2...as for me I got 8 votes, 1 more than last year!!! Onwards and upwards!!!
Run!

Plasticbeast95

So many good entries... I don't think I could have chosen.

Dinomike

Here's what my entry looks like now:

More pics of the process under my Diorama thread:)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Federreptil

Quote from: gnetum2015 on October 28, 2015, 08:18:40 PM
Congratulation to the winners!

Two of my three voted favorites ("Family of the forest" and "Uninvited guests") are under the six best.
My third favorite was "Chinese chain reaktion".
My own was "Born to die".
I had a great time and have now many ideas for new dioramas :)

I like the deep black idea of "Born to die" very much. Next time a lower angle in the scary sauropod view and a little optical tuning for the naughty hatzegopteryx-guys will improve the execution.

Many thanks for this honorable opinion, because mine is here the third favorite: Chinese chain reaction. In the whole setting it works not so well. Nevertheless I will post some pictures of the making of under my threat in the diorama section. And seven of the ten best voted entries are also my favorites in my selection of ten. So for me it was a very good and tight field in this competition.

Big congratulations to the winners and only a little bit smaller congrats to us all 65, who bring the color in this contest. A huge thank you to Dr Admin, because without your sacrificing work there is no life in the whole action.

Plasticbeast95

I just want to say that I really like the composition of "Jurassic Titans".

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Federreptil on October 28, 2015, 10:40:01 PM

Two of my three voted favorites ("Family of the forest" and "Uninvited guests") are under the six best.

I like the deep black idea of "Born to die" very much. Next time a lower angle in the scary sauropod view and a little optical tuning for the naughty hatzegopteryx-guys will improve the execution.

Many thanks for this honorable opinion, because mine is here the third favorite: Chinese chain reaction. In the whole setting it works not so well. Nevertheless I will post some pictures of the making of under my threat in the diorama section. And five of the six best voted entries are also my favorites in my selection of ten. So for me it was a very good and tight field in this competition.

Big congratulations to the winners and a only little bit smaller congrats to us all 65, who bring the color in this contest. A huge thank you to Dr Admin, because without your sacrificing work there is no life in the whole action.

Thank you Federreptil.

I voted for your diorama - I like the 'story' and, as is typical of your dioramas, there is plenty of depth and many characters. Sorry you didn't make it a hat-trick, I suppose one can't always have the glory! :)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Congratulations to all the winners, and to all who participated. My entry was #33, here comes trouble. Very surprised at the number of votes I got, 49! Thanks to all who actually voted for mine ;D I took the liberty of ordering the entries according to place in which they came, so go ahead and check what place you came in. I ended up at 11th. The bolded titles are the ones I voted for, there are also some positions that doubled up, as they had the same number of votes. This years contest was awesome, all the entries looked amazing :))

1st #4 Jurassic titans
2nd #25. Ferns for breakfast again
3rd #8. Uninvited guests
4th #19. The day Jimi HendRex couldn't find his guitar...
5th #47. Blue lagoon
6th #6. Family of the forest
7th #24. The triumph of the skies
8th #16. Last of the evening sun
9th #42. The wild and the innocents
10th #60. Gardeners of the river
11th #33. Here comes trouble

12th #40. Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933
13th #23. Startled by the vacuum cleaner
14th #52. Take me with you
15th #12. Beyond coma and despair (countless days without water)
16th #50. Cretaceous clifftop call
16th #57. His domain/Triassic sunset

17th #61. Chinese chain reaction
18th #2. The Little Red Riding Hood and Mr. Allosaurus
19th #27. Ceratopsian scattering!
20th #38. Through stormy skies
21st #11. Born to die
22nd #58. Catch
22nd #20. Primeval disagreement
23rd #1. Velociraptor rampage
23rd #41. T-Rex trouble
23rd #54. One for the road
24th #9. Rearguard action
25th #15. Strategizing
26th #44. Do you tango? - Argentinian scene
26th #22. Forgotten forest
26th #36. Squabble
27th #55. When hunger strikes you take risks
28th #64. Terror stalks lakeside
28th #49. Jurassic chaser
28th #13. Sushi!
29th #29. Hard to swallow buffet
30th #18. Hunting lesson
31st #7. This Triceratops ain't big enough for the both of us
31st #21. The callous reaper
31st #53. Triassica - the feast
32nd #46. King of the hill
33rd #59. Please, Ms. Olorotitan. Do not judge a hadrosaur by the size of his crest
33rd #39. Raptors on the hunt
34th #63. To go up or to go down? That is the cretacic question
34th #14. Something wicked this way comes
34th #28. The endgame
34th #31. Waterhole trap
35th #3. Flight or fancy?
35th #5. Maternal instincts
36th #34. A southern meal to go
36th #65. Get out of my tree!
37th #10. Uphill battle
37th #32. The reckless Troodon
38th #43. Confronting the raging tyrants
38th #37. Eye to eye
38th #30. Morning meal
38th #17. Eat this leaf son and you'll get stronger
39th #35. Fight or flight
39th #45. Sneaking predator
39th #62. Let's fight!
40th #48. Such a peaceful day
40th #51. Nothing to me?
41st #56. Euh-ohplocephalus
42nd #26. Bite me!

Hope this post isn't too long :(
Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Federreptil

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 28, 2015, 10:55:44 PM
Quote from: Federreptil on October 28, 2015, 10:40:01 PM

Many thanks for this honorable opinion, because mine is here the third favorite: Chinese chain reaction. In the whole setting it works not so well. Nevertheless I will post some pictures of the making of under my threat in the diorama section. And five of the six best voted entries are also my favorites in my selection of ten. So for me it was a very good and tight field in this competition.

Big congratulations to the winners and a only little bit smaller congrats to us all 65, who bring the color in this contest. A huge thank you to Dr Admin, because without your sacrificing work there is no life in the whole action.

Thank you Federreptil.

I voted for your diorama - I like the 'story' and, as is typical of your dioramas, there is plenty of depth and many characters. Sorry you didn't make it a hat-trick, I suppose one can't always have the glory! :)

Thank you for this compliment. Yes, that's true.  ;D Sometimes it works not so good as estimated. Maybe I have to think about a better realization which is not so synthetic in some details. And for the contest and the motivation of all participants it's so so much better.

DinoToyForum

Good idea to order them, EarthboundEiniosaurus  :)

I came 20th, not bad!

Gwangi

Great job everyone. I can't believe mine came in at #12 with 46 votes! That's by far the most votes I've ever gotten. My entry was #40 "Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933". Thanks for everyone who voted for me an congrats to the winners!

And not to sour the good mood but I think it is absolutely criminal that "Terror stalks lakeside" only got 14 votes. The picture itself may not have been great, but the diorama was excellent and no doubt took a good deal of work. That one got my vote. It's also sad to see only 3 votes for "Fight or flight". Although it was not a personal favorite it deserved more votes than that and it certainly deserved more than some of the other entries got.

Megalosaurus

Great dioramas everyone.

Mine is 63. To go up or to go down? That is the cretacic question
I got 8 votes

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

LaaskaZaika

Quote from: Gwangi on October 29, 2015, 12:02:10 AM
Great job everyone. I can't believe mine came in at #12 with 46 votes! That's by far the most votes I've ever gotten. My entry was #40 "Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933". Thanks for everyone who voted for me an congrats to the winners!

And not to sour the good mood but I think it is absolutely criminal that "Terror stalks lakeside" only got 14 votes. The picture itself may not have been great, but the diorama was excellent and no doubt took a good deal of work. That one got my vote. It's also sad to see only 3 votes for "Fight or flight". Although it was not a personal favorite it deserved more votes than that and it certainly deserved more than some of the other entries got.

Thank you so much Gwangi for your comments and vote on my Terror Stalks Lakeside diorama.  My poor photography and unfinished backdrop were probably my downfall.  It (the submission) was all last second, literally.  My wife suggested I wait until next year, but thought the work alone, well over 300 hours, would get the job done.  There are handmaid trees, use of EnviroTech water, ripples in the water from the adult Apatosaurus swimming, plants in both Apatosaur's mouths aka the  Zallinger mural, a muddy puddle by the Stego, variations of lake bottom and bank in differing colors representing differing depths, various plants altered to reflect Jurassic flora, dinos modified to look like they are truly in water, a turtle head breaching the water by one of the floating tree trunks and other details not able to be seen that may have made a difference, but could not be seen in the one photo I submitted. 

Being a newbie to the contest, I truly anticipated the contest to be the primary definition  of a diorama, understanding, of course, now, that it is an interpretive definition of the term diorama.  Lesson learned.  I could have taken one photo of a portion as a scene and submitted it, but felt the viewers, and myself, would be cheated by not seeing the entire diorama, unfinished as it was.

Everyone who has seen it in person, including two professional artists, are floored and suggest it is museum worthy.  I may not go that far, but in person it is much, much better than that one photo suggests.  I poured my heart into it for one 1 1 /2 years, as much as time allowed with job and family, and....it is still unfinished.

The backdrop still needs to be finished with trees and landscape ( I am almost finished with the mountains), along with the sides of the backdrop, which will depict water, the trees need new growth on top and it will then be encased with lighting and glass in the front with nameplates for dinos and plants, just like museums used to have and display.

I am sorry that I did not come out in better shape than you and the others who voted for me would have hoped.  As I said, it was a learning experience. 

I have two more that are smaller, but of equal quality, although their backdrops are not yet finished either.    My next one is going to be a combination of two scenes from Planet Dinosaur, episode one, with a Spinosaurus by a river eating an Onchopristis with a another torn to shreds on the shore and others in the water and a Rugops standing at a distance, while in the background a Carcharodontosaurus is stalking a herd of Ouranosaurs through a forest of trees including handmaid Auracaria trees.  Another 300 hours or more, I estimate.

Anyway, thanks to you and all those who voted for me and congratulations to the winners and to all others as well.

irimali

I voted for "Terror stalks lakeside" too.  It's a great diorama.  Reminds me a bit of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum dioramas.  I'd love to see a larger photo or some closeups. 

LaaskaZaika

Quote from: irimali on October 29, 2015, 01:04:19 AM
I voted for "Terror stalks lakeside" too.  It's a great diorama.  Reminds me a bit of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum dioramas.  I'd love to see a larger photo or some closeups. 

Thank you.  You hit the nail on the head.  My primary inspiration was indeed the Smithsonian diorama.  The second museum I had ever been to.  My other inspirations for Terror Stalks Lakeside were the sauropod art from the Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Reptiles book, the sauropod art from the Burian Prehistoric Animals book and, last but not least, the Zallinger mural.

I will post more photos soon as I get the backdrop with sides finished.  The photos will be better that way.

Thanks for your vote and comments.

Gwangi

Quote from: LaaskaZaika on October 29, 2015, 01:47:10 AM
Quote from: irimali on October 29, 2015, 01:04:19 AM

Thank you.  You hit the nail on the head.  My primary inspiration was indeed the Smithsonian diorama.  The second museum I had ever been to.  My other inspirations for Terror Stalks Lakeside were the sauropod art from the Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Reptiles book, the sauropod art from the Burian Prehistoric Animals book and, last but not least, the Zallinger mural.

I will post more photos soon as I get the backdrop with sides finished.  The photos will be better that way.

Thanks for your vote and comments.

I think your photograph would have been fine if maybe you had cropped it in to get rid of stuff outside of the diorama which was a little distracting. You would have lost some of your diorama but it the picture itself would have been easier to appreciate. Either way, fantastic work. I do hope you post more pictures of it with some close-ups as well. I also look forward to seeing your next diorama. It sounds fantastic!

laticauda

First I want to thank Dr. Admin for doing all the heavy lifting and putting on the excellent contest, it is truly appreciated.  On a personal note, I really liked my submission this year, and I am happy many people voted for it.  Mine was number 23, startled by the vacuum.    I had a much grander idea, due to space in my basement, it just didn't come to fruition.  I took the pictures first, and after reviewing all my shots, and picked a favorite, I honestly could not think of a title for it.  At some point if people are interested, I can go through a say how I made my picture, but I just want to say, there was no photo manipulation by using the computer.  My entry was shot live.

I felt "Terror stalks lakeside" looked excellent, and I think it is important to say, that even though it was unfinished, you could tell how meticulous you were in the details.  Unfortunately, when my family went through the entries together, my wife made a face when we got to it, and said no, that one isn't done, and you can see the basement.  I still thought it looked great and made that my second vote. 

I voted for 25. Ferns for breakfast again, and  Terror stalks lakeside. 

My 3 year old daughter voted for:  14. Something wicked this way comes, 23. Startled by the vacuum cleaner which she really wanted to do since it was mine, and 47. Blue lagoon.

My 4 year old son voted for: 5. Maternal instincts, 17. Eat this leaf son and you'll get stronger, 31. Waterhole trap, 36. Squabble, and 63. To go up or to go down?

My wife didn't vote, but her favorite was the winner 4. Jurassic titans.  I am still waiting for to tell me, " I told you I know which is the best."   :)

suspsy

Mine was #18, Hunting Lesson, as I'm sure many people were able to tell. :) I'd like to thank the people who voted for my very first entry and Adam for all his hard work. Here's to next year!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

laticauda

Quote from: suspsy on October 29, 2015, 03:02:34 AM
Mine was #18, Hunting Lesson, as I'm sure many people were able to tell. :) I'd like to thank the people who voted for my very first entry and Adam for all his hard work. Here's to next year!
I thought it was yours.  ;)   Two thumbs up on your first entry.  :)

Viking Spawn

Congrats to everyone that one and to everyone who participated!  It was a fun contest and very hard to choose from!  There is much talent and creativity found in this community!   8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: