News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2015 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, September 28, 2015, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to ten [10] dioramas

1. Velociraptor rampage
19 (9.7%)
2. The Little Red Riding Hood and Mr. Allosaurus
29 (14.8%)
3. Flight or fancy?
7 (3.6%)
4. Jurassic titans
78 (39.8%)
5. Maternal instincts
7 (3.6%)
6. Family of the forest
54 (27.6%)
7. This Triceratops ain't big enough for the both of us
11 (5.6%)
8. Uninvited guests
70 (35.7%)
9. Rearguard action
18 (9.2%)
10. Uphill battle
5 (2.6%)
11. Born to die
21 (10.7%)
12. Beyond coma and despair (countless days without water)
37 (18.9%)
13. Sushi!
14 (7.1%)
14. Something wicked this way comes
8 (4.1%)
15. Strategizing
17 (8.7%)
16. Last of the evening sun
51 (26%)
17. Eat this leaf son and you'll get stronger
4 (2%)
18. Hunting lesson
12 (6.1%)
19. The day Jimi HendRex couldn't find his guitar...
59 (30.1%)
20. Primeval disagreement
20 (10.2%)
21. The callous reaper
11 (5.6%)
22. Forgotten forest
16 (8.2%)
23. Startled by the vacuum cleaner
44 (22.4%)
24. The triumph of the skies
53 (27%)
25. Ferns for breakfast again
72 (36.7%)
26. Bite me!
0 (0%)
27. Ceratopsian scattering!
26 (13.3%)
28. The endgame
8 (4.1%)
29. Hard to swallow buffet
13 (6.6%)
30. Morning meal
4 (2%)
31. Waterhole trap
8 (4.1%)
32. The reckless Troodon
5 (2.6%)
33. Here comes trouble
49 (25%)
34. A southern meal to go
6 (3.1%)
35. Fight or flight
3 (1.5%)
36. Squabble
16 (8.2%)
37. Eye to eye
4 (2%)
38. Through stormy skies
24 (12.2%)
39. Raptors on the hunt
9 (4.6%)
40. Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933
46 (23.5%)
41. T-Rex trouble
19 (9.7%)
42. The wild and the innocents
50 (25.5%)
43. Confronting the raging tyrants
4 (2%)
44. Do you tango? - Argentinian scene
16 (8.2%)
45. Sneaking predator
3 (1.5%)
46. King of the hill
10 (5.1%)
47. Blue lagoon
60 (30.6%)
48. Such a peaceful day
2 (1%)
49. Jurassic chaser
14 (7.1%)
50. Cretaceous clifftop call
31 (15.8%)
51. Nothing to me?
2 (1%)
52. Take me with you
42 (21.4%)
53. Triassica - the feast
11 (5.6%)
54. One for the road
19 (9.7%)
55. When hunger strikes you take risks
15 (7.7%)
56. Euh-ohplocephalus
1 (0.5%)
57. His domain/Triassic sunset
31 (15.8%)
58. Catch
20 (10.2%)
59. Please, Ms. Olorotitan. Do not judge a hadrosaur by the size of his crest
9 (4.6%)
60. Gardeners of the river
50 (25.5%)
61. Chinese chain reaction
30 (15.3%)
62. Let's fight!
3 (1.5%)
63. To go up or to go down? That is the cretacic question
8 (4.1%)
64. Terror stalks lakeside
14 (7.1%)
65. Get out of my tree!
6 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Voting closed: October 28, 2015, 06:50:17 PM

Simon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 29, 2015, 07:26:53 PM
Oooh, I came in 7th place! Mine was 'Triumph of the Skies', it was my first time so its a privelage to have gotten 53 votes, I'm already excited for entering again next time...

I suppose that last shot looked more natural than the final one, but I tried to give it a sunset atmosphere for dramatic effect, and I added some petals from the flowers in the bush, to give the impression they had flown off the microraptor when it burst out, and the 'birds' in the background. I'm not really happy with the integration of these, but I only know the photoshop basics, and I thought they might add to the narrative.

I think I'd like to do a really in depth hand made diorama next year, I like using natural environments but theres something magical about a hand-crafted one 'becoming' real in the photography.

Silvanusaurus, your submission was my choice for #1.  I thought it was a perfect blend of lighting, motion, real background to give the models a more lifelike perspective.

Frankly, I am mystified as to why you only came in 7th, but its one heck of an entry and you should be proud!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Simon on October 29, 2015, 10:41:45 PM
Silvanusaurus, your submission was my choice for #1.  I thought it was a perfect blend of lighting, motion, real background to give the models a more lifelike perspective.

Frankly, I am mystified as to why you only came in 7th, but its one heck of an entry and you should be proud!

Thank you so much for such praise!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 29, 2015, 11:06:11 PM

Thank you so much for such praise!

I have to say the same thing, I really thought your entry would be one of the winners or honorable mentions, and it was super close. Great job! I love the blossoms bursting out, and the pink hue was a great choice.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

My entry was #27 Ceratopsian Scattering. The Zuniceratops are hand sculpted and will eventually be part of my line, as well as the hollow log. I only had one Zuniceratops but I took three pictures and overlayed them. The Diorama takes place inside this potted plant :D, is that considered a real Diorama?? IDK. I placed 19th, I guess that's not bad for my first year here. Thank you to the wonderful 26 people who voted for me! :)

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Sim

I really liked your entry, Kayakasaurus!  It's interesting!  I voted for it.  I thought the ceratopsian might have been handmade and that it might have been Zuniceratops.  I was going to ask about these things, but now I don't need to!

Two other entries I really liked and voted for also had models I was wondering about:

25. Ferns for breakfast again - the stegosaurs
29. Hard to swallow buffet - the theropod in the foreground

Are they handmade models too?  And what species are they?

stargatedalek

Simon

Here's the color version of my entry, using the 1/30 McVey TRex, and a custom made Triceratops kitbash using the Resaurus Trike head and the cheap big hollow Safari Trike body.  I faded it to black and white because I thought the colors were a bit too garish.  (Looking back I think that might have been a mistake, but this simple juxtaposition wasn't gonna win anything anyway). Its an old photo that I never posted online as the TRex is a little out of focus.  Now I can say I participated!  ;D

Ikessauro

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 29, 2015, 07:26:53 PM
Oooh, I came in 7th place! Mine was 'Triumph of the Skies', it was my first time so its a privelage to have gotten 53 votes, I'm already excited for entering again next time...

I suppose that last shot looked more natural than the final one, but I tried to give it a sunset atmosphere for dramatic effect, and I added some petals from the flowers in the bush, to give the impression they had flown off the microraptor when it burst out, and the 'birds' in the background. I'm not really happy with the integration of these, but I only know the photoshop basics, and I thought they might add to the narrative.

I think I'd like to do a really in depth hand made diorama next year, I like using natural environments but theres something magical about a hand-crafted one 'becoming' real in the photography.

Did Microraptor and T.rex live at the same place and time? That may answer your question I think.

Ikessauro

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 28, 2015, 07:50:17 PM
29. Hard to swallow buffet

This was mine! I almost gave up entering this year, have been busy, but decided to give it a try and did this set up just a few days before the deadline.
Thanks to everyone who voted for my diorama!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 30, 2015, 04:56:01 PM
Did Microraptor and T.rex live at the same place and time? That may answer your question I think.
I have to take issue with the validity of the point you seem to be making. If you are going to apply scientific reasoning to the image, then scale alone would render it impossible for the winged dinosaur to be a Microraptor (and as it is a toy, it is at best a questionable representation of any real animal). Therefore one would have to assume that it is a different, possibly undiscovered and entirely speculative species of large winged raptor which, given the overwhelming lack of definite knowledge about the full extent of the fauna of that time, would not be difficult to imagine as a potential contemporary of Tyrannosaurus Rex. I had no intention when making the image that the winged raptor be a Microraptor specifically, because that wouldnt make any sense, nor is there anything inherent within the image that suggests that it is a Microraptor, in fact as I've explained, it's quite the opposite.  All of these images are purely imaginative and I'm sure are all scientifically moot by their very nature. 

Nebuloid

Congratulations to the winners ! Only number 2 had my vote, was expecting it to win.
This was my entry, "one for the road" :

And the original photo/setup, some perspective trickery, minimal photoshopping required as you can see :

Hoped (thought) it would do better, oh well...

Bokisaurus

Congratulations to the 3 winners!
My own was # 47 Blue Lagoon :)

A BIG THANK YOU for all who voted for my diorama, all 60 of you! I'm happy to have made it to 4th place this year. It was really a race :)
For my piece, I have always wanted to do an underwater scene without having to use photoshop, for a long time now. Finally got the figures and a camera that can take underwater photos.
I wanted a photo that showed movement and also really liked how the light ripples turned out.
I have to say that many, many attempts were made just trying to place the figures without them having swept away by the current. I had to chase both figures  used many time when they were swept downstream :)
I also had many takes since I had to shot the photos blind since I can't see how it was framed underwater ;)
For those interested, I posted photos of my other diorama runner ups on my thread.

Cheers!
Loki :)

Gwangi

A.Garcia

Well done to the winners, and thanks to all the contributors for the great time! :) My entry is #60 Gardeners of the River. Thank you to everyone who voted for it- I'm really happy so many people enjoyed it. I tried to make a naturalistic scene from the perspective of how you might encounter these sauropods. I had only one Nigersaurus, so I took a second photo with the figure moved to the background, then added it to its place in the final image. I like the colors of this model so I was pleased that the environmental colors matched, even if the "ferns" are a bit dry (the dinosaurs didn't seem to mind). My original idea actually used the Carnegie Amargasaurus with the Battat version repainted- I'll share those images sometime, too.

Here's some things I liked about the pictures I voted for:

4. Jurassic titans - This is a surprisingly convincing illusion, as if the photo was taken in a hurry as the animals started crossing the river. I think the lighting/glare by their heads adds to this realism.

8. Uninvited guests - This has strong atmosphere, composition, and lighting that makes the concept effective. I also like the ambiguous title.

13. Sushi - Along with nice, simple scenery, there is something subtle about the shark that makes it really look like a massive dead fish being dragged along by an even bigger biped.

22. Forgotten forest - I instantly liked this one. The green pattern on the Parasaurolophus blends well with the color tone of the foliage (as do the camouflaged dinos). It looks like the dinosaur is pausing mid-stride to listen.

24. The triumph of the skies - The frozen action works well and makes this one stand out. I love the flowering tree- it ties the picture together through the added petals and color tone. The background birds are nice touches that show another reaction in the environment.

25. Ferns for breakfast again - The whole picture is exquisite, with meticulous attention to the plants and good color/atmosphere. Since I had homemade Tuojiangosaurus in my 2013 picture I love seeing someone else's interpretation of these animals going about their routine.

27. Ceratopsian scattering! - I like this alternate interpretation of "ceratopsian vs tyrannosaur." The custom dinos have a sense of motion and the hollow log fits well with the real trunks.

42. The wild and the innocents - This shows an immersive environment and sense of motion. The angle of the trees helps emphasize the forward inertia. The figure colors are perfect for the environment. I like the prey sculptures- they seem to be getting away on this occasion. (I'm proud to be tied with you, too. :D)

61. Chinese chain reaction - This does a great job of fitting action/narrative, along with lots of dinosaurs and plants, into the limited space. The use of foliage and mist helps build up visual layers in a way that's fun to look at.

Voting was tricky and there were others I really liked, including the Expedition Archive Photo and Family of the Forest. (Also Cretaceous Clifftop Call and Take Me With You.) Catch, When Hunger Strikes..., and Through Stormy Skies used interesting perspectives. Please, Ms. Olorotitan... has nice color and an entertaining approach. I guess they were all fun to see!

Sim

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 30, 2015, 05:00:58 PM
This was mine! I almost gave up entering this year, have been busy, but decided to give it a try and did this set up just a few days before the deadline.
Thanks to everyone who voted for my diorama!

Hi Ikessauro, have you seen my earlier post (Reply #264)?  I really enjoy looking at your entry.  It feels like looking at different animals going about their lives.  The environment in the scene is nice too.  I'm still curious about the theropod in the foreground.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 30, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
25 was custom models, 29 I don't know.

Thanks stargatedalek!  I've seen the posts in the results thread now, but I'm still curious about what species the stegosaurs are!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Sim on October 30, 2015, 11:30:27 PM
Hi Ikessauro, have you seen my earlier post (Reply #264)?  I really enjoy looking at your entry.  It feels like looking at different animals going about their lives.  The environment in the scene is nice too.  I'm still curious about the theropod in the foreground.

Hi Sim, I had not seen your post. My bad. Thank you for your vote. The theropod is a Velociraptor, sculpted by Ademar Pereira do Nascimento and cast in resin. One of his old models, released around 2008 or so.

Arul

Wahh so many non-toys/hand-sculpted model this year, well done everyone :D but wait, what is number 16 model made from ? Looks like a...what is it, doll/plush ?

irimali

Quote from: Sim on October 30, 2015, 04:02:07 PM
I really liked your entry, Kayakasaurus!  It's interesting!  I voted for it.  I thought the ceratopsian might have been handmade and that it might have been Zuniceratops.  I was going to ask about these things, but now I don't need to!

Two other entries I really liked and voted for also had models I was wondering about:

25. Ferns for breakfast again - the stegosaurs
29. Hard to swallow buffet - the theropod in the foreground

Are they handmade models too?  And what species are they?

The stegosaurs in #25 were Tuojiangosaurus.  I made them out of cardboard, paper mache, beeswax and gesso with poppy seeds and amaranth for scales.  I'm gonna do a making of post this weekend, I'll show some close-up shots of them.

postsaurischian

Quote from: irimali on October 31, 2015, 07:38:03 AM
The stegosaurs in #25 were Tuojiangosaurus.  I made them out of cardboard, paper mache, beeswax and gesso with poppy seeds and amaranth for scales.  I'm gonna do a making of post this weekend, I'll show some close-up shots of them.

Can't wait to see these :)!

Sim

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 31, 2015, 05:03:36 AM
Hi Sim, I had not seen your post. My bad. Thank you for your vote. The theropod is a Velociraptor, sculpted by Ademar Pereira do Nascimento and cast in resin. One of his old models, released around 2008 or so.

Thanks! :)

Quote from: irimali on October 31, 2015, 07:38:03 AM

Thanks irimali!  Your entry is amazing!  I really like how you've done and arranged the plants, it must've been very time-consuming but it looks great!  The atmosphere and light in the scene is very nice.  I look forward to seeing more about your entry!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: