News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First biofluorescent reptile!

Started by Kayakasaurus, September 30, 2015, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

I know this isn't a dinosaur, but it is a reptile, and there are some pretty awesome extinct turtle fossils.
I'm interested in how the turtle uses this ability and if it could apply to any other extinct creatures... Glowing Mosasaurs anyone?! This is also a rarer example of two different colors. Why red with the green?? Here is YouTube link

http://youtu.be/9kmE7D5ulSA
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

CityRaptor

Interesting. Also make me think of Pacific Rim for some reason.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Actually, this is a case of biofluorescence, which is very different from bioluminescence. When using the term bioluminescence, you are implying that the creature is creating its own light. This hawksbill turtle is exhibiting biofluorescence, which occurs when an organism reflects light that is already present in its environment. sorry to be nit picky, but correct terminology is important.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

DinoToyForum

I wasn't aware there was a difference so thanks for explaining.  :)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 30, 2015, 11:15:41 PM

Your quite welcome my good sir. :)
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 01, 2015, 12:05:24 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 30, 2015, 11:15:41 PM

Your quite welcome my good sir. :)

Thank you! I corrected the title. That makes more sense.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Thank you! I corrected the title. That makes more sense.
[/quote]

Your very welcome. It's a common mistake, as they do look very similar and it would be very easy to assume the two terms were synonymous.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.