News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: Rain on December 11, 2015, 08:53:23 PM
*SNIP*

Also, does anyone else think the running rex's head sculpt looks kinda different?

Yes, I am glad I'm not the only one who noticed - it actually looks more "TRex-ish" and less "King Kong V-Rex-ish"

Simon

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2015, 06:24:58 PM
Now that I'm seeing a bigger picture of the Velociraptor, the head looks better than I thought--narrower, more Velociraptor-like than the naked versions. I could be wrong, though, hard to say with only one angle. Anyway, pretty good year overall for Papo. Guess the Iguanodon is getting pushed back to 2017? Or canceled altogether?

That's the great thing about raptors - there were so many different ones, with new ones being found all the time, that if the sculpt looks a little off, just wait til the next discovery - like the over-sized JP raptors that became Utahraptor-sized as soon as that critter was dug up ...

MLMjp

Well, I'm going to move foward to the other figures, cause I do not want to say more about bary.....we will see future images
The feathered raptor looks so good that it is tempting me to buy it, even though I usually don't buy figures that are out of my scale, but you don't see feathered dinos like this one a lot  :D :D :D
The repaint of the classic raptor screems "Charlie" so if someone wants to build a raptor squad there's one less raptor to repaint, good move Papo. Me personaly I am not interested.

Kaprosuchus looks very life like, but no I am not interested

The running rex looks really cool with the new colors. I am seriously considering picking him up. It is the closest thing to a brown running one, green is fine but other options are welcome   ;D ;D ;D

To summarize imo Papo has done a good job with their new oferings, with cool repaints and new sculpts but they have made one big mistake with one of them, altough the final result can be different

MLMjp

Quote from: Simon on December 11, 2015, 09:09:04 PM
*SNIP*

Also, does anyone else think the running rex's head sculpt looks kinda different?

Yes, I am glad I'm not the only one who noticed - it actually looks more "TRex-ish" and less "King Kong V-Rex-ish"

Really?? If thats true then there's another reason to get it!!! :D

Simon

Expect to see that Baryonyx photo in a dozen as-yet-to-be-created Internet memes - the pose is VERY photogenic - like something out of your worst nightmares! 

Honestly I think its the best figure that Papo has yet produced (not accuracy wise obviously, but that was clearly never the intent).

Every time I scroll down and it pops up I break out a grin.  "Ya want some of this?  Come and GET IT!!!"

Daspletodave

The Baryonyx looks like a freak. Like the Jurassic World Indomimus rex

Rain

Quote from: Simon on December 11, 2015, 09:09:04 PM
*SNIP*

Yes! That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. That it didn't really look like a V-rex anymore

suspsy

At the very least, the RRR has been to see a dentist.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Viking Spawn

Now I want a rainbow baby Rex.  Darn it Papo!  Let's have another box set please.  :/

Carnosaur

I will hold my judgement on Baryonyx until I see it up close and in person. I like the rest though, but i was hoping for a Giganotosaurus, and Iguanodon? maybe this is just wave 1?

TomWToyForum

Wow... I was expecting something like their Archaeopteryx but this is way way better. I'll buy two for sure.

Dinomike

Quote from: Carnosaur on December 11, 2015, 10:18:40 PM
I will hold my judgement on Baryonyx until I see it up close and in person. I like the rest though, but i was hoping for a Giganotosaurus, and Iguanodon? maybe this is just wave 1?
Oh yes! Didn't the sculptor mention something about an Iguanodon in his interview?
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Simon

OK.  So I blew up the photo - I first thought that the change in the head was simply due to a different paint job placing emphasis on different parts of the jaw, but looking at this enlargement I am thinking that they really might have re-done the jaw.  What do y'all think?

Arul

Quote from: TomWToyForum on December 11, 2015, 10:20:15 PM
Wow... I was expecting something like their Archaeopteryx but this is way way better. I'll buy two for sure.

Me too, i wanna buy three feathered vraptor :D they will make a beautiful pack :)

Quote from: Dinomike on December 11, 2015, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: Carnosaur on December 11, 2015, 10:18:40 PM
Oh yes! Didn't the sculptor mention something about an Iguanodon in his interview?

If i not forgot, yes. And therizinosaurus too! I hope there will be a second wave  ::)

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 11, 2015, 09:58:05 PM
Now I want a rainbow baby Rex.  Darn it Papo!  Let's have another box set please.  :/

We will have it im pretty sure :D
I'm sorry collectA, but your 2016 models are going to have to wait a bit. I'm reallly impressed with the feathered raptor, I'm going to buy a few and possibly try my hand at repainting and re positioning.

I really love it. Lets hope the coloration of feathered vraptor is same with the picture on the catalog, i mean look at the papo pteranodon...

Roselaar

Loving the Feathered Raptor and Kaprosuchus! A little more reserved on the Baryonyx though. It may very well be the angle, but it just looks grossly off to me currently. I'll wait for better pics from different angles before passing real judgment though. As for the repaints, okay but nothing special. That Raptor ought to be retired by now, what with this new one around the corner.

CityRaptor

If you think about it, Spinosaurids were probably the Mesozoic counterparts to bears. Or rather bears are their Cenozoic counterparts.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

empire3569

1. Feathered raptor: this is an insta-buy; I'm actually considering getting two and using one of them to replace the arms of Rebor's Utahraptor (which I don't own yet, due to fact that the arms are in my opinion terrible with no redeeming qualities)
2. Kaprosuchus: this sculpt is very good, however will be passing on this one
3. Baryonyx: Arguably their best sculpt, but that pose is just the worst. As of now, there will be no way I would even consider purchasing that monstrosity
4. Repaints: will probably pick up the green raptor (sad I never owned the original brown one) and I will consider picking up the RRR if the jaw is indeed a new sculpt and less like the v-rex

Overall a solid year from Papo, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't dissappointed in the baryonyx; this was definitely the figure I was looking forward to the most

empire3569

Quote from: Simon on December 11, 2015, 10:55:00 PM
OK.  So I blew up the photo - I first thought that the change in the head was simply due to a different paint job placing emphasis on different parts of the jaw, but looking at this enlargement I am thinking that they really might have re-done the jaw.  What do y'all think?

I agree, at least the bottom jaw appears to be a different sculpt; it still looks like it has the snaggle tooth in the front, but the teeth on the side appear to be more straight than the previous model. Plus, it appears the head was actually photoshopped on (you can see the bottom of the neck doesn't quite line up) which leads me to think the head could have been slightly re-sculpted and then added the already taken image

terrorchicken

I really like the feathered raptor! I love the pose, it doesnt look like its taking a dump!

Id like the baryonyx  if it wasnt so fat and standing in that ridiculous pose!

Rain

Quote from: empire3569 on December 11, 2015, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: Simon on December 11, 2015, 10:55:00 PM

I agree, at least the bottom jaw appears to be a different sculpt; it still looks like it has the snaggle tooth in the front, but the teeth on the side appear to be more straight than the previous model. Plus, it appears the head was actually photoshopped on (you can see the bottom of the neck doesn't quite line up) which leads me to think the head could have been slightly re-sculpted and then added the already taken image

If you're referring to the part that's jutting out, that's just one of the over emphasized veins

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: