News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2013: Step 2

Started by anchry6, May 10, 2012, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these dinosaurs would like to be produced by Papo in 2013?

Amargasaurus
2 (4.9%)
Apatosaurus
4 (9.8%)
Brontosaurus (old Apatosaurus)
0 (0%)
Brontotherium
1 (2.4%)
Carnotaurus
8 (19.5%)
Ceratosaurus
6 (14.6%)
Chasmosaurus
3 (7.3%)
Coelophysis
1 (2.4%)
Compsognathus
1 (2.4%)
Desmatosuchus
0 (0%)
Diabloceratops
7 (17.1%)
Dilophosaurus
4 (9.8%)
Dimetrodon
2 (4.9%)
Dracorex
2 (4.9%)
Edmontosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Entelodont
0 (0%)
Falcarius
2 (4.9%)
Gallimimus
1 (2.4%)
Giganotosaurus
7 (17.1%)
Hypsilophodon
0 (0%)
Iguanodon
1 (2.4%)
Lambeosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Liopleurodon
2 (4.9%)
Lystrosaurus
0 (0%)
Majungasaurus
0 (0%)
Mamenchisaurus
2 (4.9%)
Masiakasaurus
2 (4.9%)
Megalosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Metriacanthosaurus
0 (0%)
Ouranosaurus
0 (0%)
Pentaceratops
0 (0%)
Phorusrhacidae (Terror bird)
1 (2.4%)
Platybelodon
0 (0%)
Postosuchus
3 (7.3%)
Protoceratops
1 (2.4%)
Quetzalcoatlus
0 (0%)
Saurolophus
1 (2.4%)
Shonisaurus
3 (7.3%)
Therizinosaurus
6 (14.6%)
Torvosaurus
2 (4.9%)
Uintatherium
1 (2.4%)
Woolly Rhinoceros
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: May 30, 2012, 12:00:12 AM

anchry6

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 14, 2012, 11:44:58 PM
Papo Carnotaurus is likely to be Disney like.  :)) Just kidding.

CityRaptor is right. I would like to see MORE and MORE amazing paposaur figures. The only papo one that i HATE is the Tylosaur  *yuck* .

anchry6 for the omnivores, I believe Therizinosaurus should be listed with the herbivores.

*orthocone*

If there are other people who think like you'll have no problem to change the choice ...
So blog let me know what you prefer!
I have decided to consider all omnivores with carnivore to have two sets of the same size (otherwise I would have had to split the two votes).
The only thing I do not see why you should make distinctions among omnivores. Or all with herbivores or all with carnivores. Eg because Falcarius with carnivores and Therizinosaurus with herbivores?

:D

Primeval12

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 14, 2012, 05:01:26 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on May 14, 2012, 12:45:02 PM
I wonder why they are winning between carnivores: Giganotosaurus and carnotaurus that are already well done by Carnegie Collection. Someone can give me an explanation?

It is rather obvious: As well done as they are, people want to see how they look in Papo Style.

That's why I voted for Torvosaurus

Metallisuchus

I wonder why they are winning between carnivores: Giganotosaurus and carnotaurus that are already well done by Carnegie Collection. Someone can give me an explanation?

They're such interesting animals, that I guess some of us would like to see what Papo would do with them, but I totally understand where you're coming from. I almost considered not mentioning them because they were obvious choices. I did pick Metriacanthosaurus though : )

Sharptooth

By the way, anyone knows where i can find a good pic of a Metriachantosaurus's skeleton (or a reliable speculative skeletal if all we know of this guy are just fragments)? I wanted to restore him some time ago but never found a decent reference...  :-\

Back on topic, i voted for the Dilophosaurus and the Gallimimus... JP dinos for the win!  8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

tanystropheus

I don't believe Papo can make a better Carnotaurus than Safari Ltd. However, Papo could probably make a far superior Giga (I do like the Safari Ltd. Giga, but there is certainly room for improvement!)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 14, 2012, 11:44:58 PM

CityRaptor is right. I would like to see MORE and MORE amazing paposaur figures. The only papo one that i HATE is the Tylosaur  *yuck* .

I just picked up the Papo Tylosaurus (along with the Green Running T-rex).  It's actually not as bad as the stock photos (the released pictures make it look almost furry-feathery). The model has a very wicked, smug look to it. It's also a lot more greenish in color. The swan neck posture does ruin the model (but seems to contribute to the overall retro feel of the model) However, having said this, the Carnegie Tylosaurus is a far better option.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 13, 2012, 05:04:10 AM
Quote from: anchry6 on May 12, 2012, 11:57:18 PM
I chose two Ceratopsia because for now are the group that Papo does best.
I chose Diabloceratops and Protoceratops because I think that would be able to make them scientifically accurate. If you think like me, you vote at least one Ceratopsia (from the 4 which they are).

Agreed. I chose Chasmosaurus, because I know that Papo will do the model justice.  A Protoceratops would also make a great choice. On a side note, isn't Wild Safari releasing a Pentaceratops in 2013?

Just because you say things doesn't make it true! ;D Safari doesn't usually release any information at all until late summer at best--and never makes it public until November.

Haha. I would be in a state of "primordial bliss" if Safari did release a Pentaceratops, though! ;)

Megalosaurus

Quote from: anchry6 on May 15, 2012, 12:10:09 AM
The only thing I do not see why you should make distinctions among omnivores. Or all with herbivores or all with carnivores. Eg because Falcarius with carnivores and Therizinosaurus with herbivores?

Wikipedia quote:
"[...]The feeding habits of Therizinosaurus are unknown[...]. However, like other therizinosaurs, they were probably primarily herbivorous.[...]"

Dinopedia quote:
"[...]The feeding habits of Therizinosaurus are still debated, but it was most probably an herbivore, using its big claws to push leaves into its mouth.[...]"

Also, its big belly is suitable for the large digestive tube of herbivores.

Another fact its that is unusual & COOL to have an Herbivore Theropod.

Looking at the results, is clear that people wants a therizinosaur, but i don't think it will win against Carnotaurus or Giganotosaurus. I believe Therizinosaurus belongs to the herbivore side, and changing its clasification gives it a chance to made into the final 2 proponsals.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

anchry6

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 15, 2012, 05:49:56 PM

Wikipedia quote:
"[...]The feeding habits of Therizinosaurus are unknown[...]. However, like other therizinosaurs, they were probably primarily herbivorous.[...]"

Dinopedia quote:
"[...]The feeding habits of Therizinosaurus are still debated, but it was most probably an herbivore, using its big claws to push leaves into its mouth.[...]"

Looking at the results, is clear that people wants a therizinosaur, but i don't think it will win against Carnotaurus or Giganotosaurus. I believe Therizinosaurus belongs to the herbivore side, and changing its clasification gives it a chance to made into the final 2 proponsals.

Thanks for your research, but I had already done research in this direction and the conclusions are probably the Therizinosaurus's diet is MOSTLY  herbivorous. However, it remains an omnivore. The same problem I had with Entelodonts.
I repeat that I have no problem to change your mind if others criticize.
For now, you are the only one doing it (but this does not mean that you're right  ;)  ).

anchry6

Quote from: anchry6 on May 15, 2012, 06:24:39 PM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 15, 2012, 05:49:56 PM

Wikipedia quote:

Dinopedia quote:

Thanks for your research, but I had already done research in this direction and the conclusions are probably the Therizinosaurus's diet is MOSTLY  herbivorous. However, it remains an omnivore. The same problem I had with Entelodonts.
I repeat that I have no problem to change your mind if others criticize.
For now, you are the only one doing it (but this does not mean that you're right  ;)  ).

Sorry but I made ​​a mistake above:
I repeat that I have no problem to change MY mind if others criticize.
Sorry for my english :-[ :-[

Metallisuchus

I have a much more logical conclusion - any omnivores or "mystery-diet dinosaurs" like Therizinosaurs, should be placed in BOTH herbivore & carnivore categories.

anchry6

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 15, 2012, 11:43:42 PM
I have a much more logical conclusion - any omnivores or "mystery-diet dinosaurs" like Therizinosaurs, should be placed in BOTH herbivore & carnivore categories.

This is true but in doing so the omnivores are more likely to win than the other (belong to two categories).
So I decided ARBITRARILY. However, if there is one more critical in this regard that think as you and not as me I'll be willing to change the subset (herbivore).
P. S. However, the Therizinosaurus could win even if it remains with carnivores.

tanystropheus

So, people really do want a  retro-scaly Therizinosaurus by Papo? :o :) ....I still need to pick up CollectA's masterpiece....

Seijun

Im surprised theri is so popular, especially with the several very good models that have come out recently.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

Quote from: Seijun on May 16, 2012, 10:13:57 AM
Im surprised theri is so popular, especially with the several very good models that have come out recently.
Well, we had an exceptionally good Carnotaurus from Carnegie only this year, and look what's being demanded still...  :P

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 16, 2012, 03:37:05 PM
Well, we had an exceptionally good Carnotaurus from Carnegie only this year, and look what's being demanded still...  :P

Well, it appears people are never happy enough--there is always a toe out of place, or a skin texture, or one too many teeth, or lips, or no lips, or the eyes are a little off, or something (sometimes, of course, the issue is larger).  Yet nobody seems to want to just do it themselves and show these companies how it's done (except Malcolm, and his stuff is of course fantastic but in short supply. And he's not doing it necessarily because the work of other companies is not enough for him). ;D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 16, 2012, 08:49:52 AM
So, people really do want a  retro-scaly Therizinosaurus by Papo?[...]

Of course i want a scally Papo Therizinosaurus.

Here's one of the reasons:

‬Quote from prehistoric-wildlife
[...]Evidence for feathers mainly comes from the remains of Beipiaosaurus, ‬but at a little over two meters in length, ‬it is one of the smallest members of the group. ‬In contrast Therizinosaurus is one of the largest, ‬and creatures of its size usually have very little if any form of insulation on the grounds of gigantothermy.[...]

Of course, we have the featherly CollecA & Bullyland ones, then we need a scally one in papo quality standars.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Seijun

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 16, 2012, 03:37:05 PM

I requested a carno from Papo, but not because I think they can make an accurate one (I have given up on them in that department, and like you said, Carnegie has made a beautifully accurate carno already). I want them to make a carno because I think they could make one that is totally bad-@ss, even if it turns out completely inaccurate. When choosing what I would like to see papo do, I keep in mind that if they ever did that figure, it would most likely turn out heavily retro and/or based heavily on some popular movie, so the figure would have to look awesome despite those influences.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

double post

CityRaptor

Same reason why I choose Giganotosaurus and Dracorex. My prefered Versions of them would be Dino Crisis 2 Giganotosaurus and Primeval Dracorex.

I think nearly nobody here buys Papo for accurateness. Making Movie Monsters, that is what they do. And they do it well!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: