News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Customising Hints, Tips and FAQs

Started by Himmapaan, May 10, 2012, 07:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Prolly not, if you used a no-name brand or something like Crayola or DAS, you'd most likely end up getting frustrated by the clay's lack of ability to hold detail. I guess it might work, but it won't look amazing :-X Also, many air drying clays tend to shrink when dry, and you'll end up with cracks.

Have you considered buying some epoxy putty online? If you're still not able to get a hold of any, and air dry clay is your only alternate, I would recommend practicing with it on a chinasaur first...in case you ruin your Papo dinos.

Jetoar

You should to listena a Tyrantqueen  ^-^. Das and Crayola do a good clay to sculpt dinosaurs ( Is the clay that I use to do my figures) but It is not good to customise dinosaurs. If I were you, I would use epoxiy or green stuf (I used green stuff to fix my stegosaurus).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ZoPteryx

Thanks Tyrantqueen and Jeotar. :D

Yes, I'll definitely try it out on a chinasaur first.  I could order the epoxy online I suppose, I'll need to do more research on different brands.

Jetoar

You are welcome friend  ^-^. Good luck with your project. If you need help, you can ask again  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

I need help with using Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I used it in the past mostly for filling in gaps and it worked okay, but now I've tried sculpting with it and it's giving me problems. I usually leave it for about half and hour so that it becomes firm and less sticky. However, even then I find it impossible to sculpt with. It has a very slippery, plastic-y feel to it, and doesn't stick when I want it to. I dipped my tools in smoothing solution and water, but it still won't cooperate. :X
Maybe it's just not for me? I'm thinking about trying Aves Apoxie Clay instead, since I think I'd prefer something with a more clay like feel.

robustus_

Before painting Shapeways figures, is it necessary to clean or wash them? If so, how do you do that?

And is there a special paint for models only, or can any acrylic paint be used on them?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: RobbieSKatz on December 14, 2012, 04:36:32 AM
Before painting Shapeways figures, is it necessary to clean or wash them? If so, how do you do that?

And is there a special paint for models only, or can any acrylic paint be used on them?
Yes, you will need to wash them. I like to give mine an hour long soak in warm soapy water, and then scrub them with a toothbrush under a running tap. That should be enough.

You can use any paint you like, but acrylic is generally preferred by most people here because of its relative cheapness, ease of use, and availability.

Himmapaan

Robbie, do browse through the earlier part of the thread, if you can. Copper has posted a basic painting tutorial, and you might also find some answers to your questions already. :)

TQ, I think perhaps you just need to experiment with other compounds for your sculpting to see what suits you best.

robustus_

Quote from: Himmapaan on December 14, 2012, 06:48:42 PM
Robbie, do browse through the earlier part of the thread, if you can. Copper has posted a basic painting tutorial, and you might also find some answers to your questions already. :)

TQ, I think perhaps you just need to experiment with other compounds for your sculpting to see what suits you best.

Ah, thank you! It took me a while to find the link to the tutorial.

copper

Quote from: RobbieSKatz on December 15, 2012, 04:25:23 AM
Quote from: Himmapaan on December 14, 2012, 06:48:42 PM

Ah, thank you! It took me a while to find the link to the tutorial.

the tutorial is quite old and dusty  :-[
i've been thinking making a new one since my painting methods have changed...

Himmapaan

Quote from: copper on December 15, 2012, 03:05:28 PM

Please do!  :D

A few people have suggested that I made one too. I've also been considering it, but still lack the time.  :-\

ZoPteryx

Quick question, how far does a 1 lb bucket of magic sculpt epxoy go when customizing small figures?  Is it better to get the 5 lb?

Thanks! :)

copper

Quote from: Himmapaan on December 15, 2012, 03:27:19 PM
Quote from: copper on December 15, 2012, 03:05:28 PM

Please do!  :D

A few people have suggested that I made one too. I've also been considering it, but still lack the time.  :-\

i'm in the middle of painting jorge blanco's giganotosaurus which will be the model for my tutorial (ugh i hate the word 'tutorial", my tutorial should be called painting tips or something similiar).
it can take a while to finish it, since i'm only able to work with it when i have spare time from commissions etc.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Zopteryx on January 22, 2013, 08:45:41 PM
Quick question, how far does a 1 lb bucket of magic sculpt epxoy go when customizing small figures?  Is it better to get the 5 lb?

Thanks! :)
Well, the 1lb cost me $15.95 and the 5lb is $34.95, much cheaper. But it is a lot to use although so far it seems to store well. I know I would have gone through 1lb very quick.

GrownNerd

A 1lb. tub will go a long ways if you're customizing small figures. I would get that as opposed to the 5lb. even though by proportion the 5lb would be more economical. Unless you know for sure through experience how quickly you go through it, better to try the 1lb tub first. You would have to be very prolific to go through it in a year.

Once you get it and begin, try to remember that the tendency for people is to mix more than they need at the moment, and it gets wasted. A good way to do it at first is to pull out what you think you'll need, but then force yourself to half that amount before you mix the two parts together. Most likely even halved, you won't need that amount for what you're currently working at the time.

ZoPteryx

Thanks Paleoferroequine and GrownNerd! :)  I'm customizing mostly small figures, so I think I'll go with the 1 lb tub, at least to start.

tyrantqueen

Something I'd like to share with those who'd paint their own Shapeways models- the WSF material is NOT kind to paintbrushes.
It will ruin their tips very quickly, so I don't recommend using your most expensive sables on this material. I have been using a synthetic blend brush (synthetics usually have the advantage of hardiness over natural) and even that ended up with curled bristles.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience? I've painted many models and had this experience only with Shapeways.

tyrantqueen

I picked up this book and it might be of interest to anyone who is interested in sculpting animals or dinosaurs.

Each step is demonstrated in a very detailed manner, with clear instructions. Still planning to get Bob Morales' book though.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have a question- How do I achieve wrinkles on a dinosaur? I use sculpey, and when it is soft- the wrinkles are too deep to paint and when its hard the wrinkles are too thin to paint without concealing them. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 14, 2013, 02:45:22 PM
I have a question- How do I achieve wrinkles on a dinosaur? I use sculpey, and when it is soft- the wrinkles are too deep to paint and when its hard the wrinkles are too thin to paint without concealing them. Has anyone had a similar problem?
I'm guessing since you're using Sculpey, you're sculpting something from scratch? I am also guessing from your comment that you are using original Sculpey (since there was no "super" in your description ;)) Here's a tip- throw that original Sculpey in the trash. It's too soft to be useful for serious sculpting. It's really aimed at kids.

I would recommend using Super Sculpey (the pink beige-y coloured stuff) and mix in something a little harder, such as original FIMO or Sculpey Firm.

Anyway, it's a pretty hard question to answer- I think you just have to keep practicing and looking at books and online tutorials. Sorry I can't offer any more help than that, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur myself.

Try googling "sculpting skin texture tutorial" or something like that. A tutorial I found- http://www.paint-sculpt.com/tutorials/sculpting-tutorial/Texturing-Your-Sculpture.html

I really liked Smellybug's maquette tutorial, it helped me out loads, and it's highly recommended (you need to scroll down to see it) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&page=15

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: