News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Coelurosaurian Questions

Started by ZoPteryx, May 11, 2012, 01:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Hopefully I won't start a new debate (we've got enough of that on a different thread ;)), but I'd like to know:
a) What types of feathers did the different groups in this clade have? (Veined, "fluff", stages?, etc.)
b) What range of motion did their wrists and arms have? (fold like a bird's wing?)
c) Anything else you'd like to share! :))

Thanks! :D

Dinoguy2

For question 1...
Tyrannosaurs: Fur-like Fluff or down feathers.
Compsognathids: Down feathers
Ornithomimids: unknown
Alvarezsaurids: Down feathers
Therizinosaurs: Down feathers and specialized quills.
Oviraptorosaurs: vaned feathers
Paravians: aerodynamic vaned feathers.

For question 2...
See my blog post, here:
http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2011/05/know-when-to-fold-em.html
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 11, 2012, 02:42:43 PM
For question 1...
Tyrannosaurs: Fur-like Fluff or down feathers.
Compsognathids: Down feathers
Ornithomimids: unknown
Alvarezsaurids: Down feathers
Therizinosaurs: Down feathers and specialized quills.
Oviraptorosaurs: vaned feathers
Paravians: aerodynamic vaned feathers.

For question 2...
See my blog post, here:
http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2011/05/know-when-to-fold-em.html

Thank you!  :D  That's very helpful!

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Even though Julio said to take this with a grain of salt, I would say this is still pretty accurate...

©Julius T. Csotonyi

Gryphoceratops

Range of motion really depends on the kind of animal in question.  Even amongst closely related theropods there is variation in what they could/couldn't do with their front limbs.  None of them could do bunny hands though thats for sure. 

stoneage

Quote from: DeadToothCrackKnuckle on May 12, 2012, 11:12:46 PM
Even though Julio said to take this with a grain of salt, I would say this is still pretty accurate...

Where can I find that chart blown up to a size I can read it?

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Quote from: stoneage on May 12, 2012, 11:43:04 PM
Quote from: DeadToothCrackKnuckle on May 12, 2012, 11:12:46 PM

Where can I find that chart blown up to a size I can read it?
Here's Julio's deviantART gallery.

http://karkajou1993.deviantart.com/

©Julius T. Csotonyi

Dinoguy2

Good chart, but why on earth do people insist on calling down "fur-like protofeathers"? I don't call the stuff covering a baby chicken "protofeathers" and its identical in structure to the stuff on Sinosauropteryx. :P

Himmapaan

Here is the relevant page (which I think is what Stoneage wanted  ;)). Click 'download' to view original size.

stoneage

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 13, 2012, 05:52:42 PM
Here is the relevant page (which I think is what Stoneage wanted  ;)). Click 'download' to view original size.

Thanks Niroot, that is what I wanted.  It does blow up to be awfully big though.  I think I could have gotten by with a little smaller picture.  But at least I got the gist of it.

Gryphoceratops

Its a good chart.  I don't really think the smaller ceratopsids like psittacosaurus had "feathers" though.  I've been told by people who studied the specimen they are really more like modified elongated scales than fur or feathers. 

Sharptooth

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 13, 2012, 09:27:07 PM
Its a good chart.  I don't really think the smaller ceratopsids like psittacosaurus had "feathers" though.  I've been told by people who studied the specimen they are really more like modified elongated scales than fur or feathers.

Really? Could you tell me something more about it?

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

ZoPteryx

That's a nice chart. :)  Where do Scanisauropterygids fall on it?  I thought they were in the Paraves, but they didn't have veined feathers (did they?).

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Sharptooth on May 13, 2012, 09:37:48 PM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 13, 2012, 09:27:07 PM

Really? Could you tell me something more about it?

Well supposedly they were really just really long thin scales.  Think iguana spines to the extreme.  When looked at under a microscope this is evident.  I'll see if I can find a paper on it although I'm not sure if one was ever published. 

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 14, 2012, 01:48:17 AM
That's a nice chart. :)  Where do Scanisauropterygids fall on it?  I thought they were in the Paraves, but they didn't have veined feathers (did they?).

They sure did! Scansoripteryx preserved a herringbone pattern in its wing feathers indicating they were vaned. The tail feathers of Epidexipteryx had solid vanes like Confuciusornis.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.