News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DAKOTARAPTOR LIVES!

Started by suspsy, October 30, 2015, 05:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Does anybody happen to know just how off the proportions of the Saurian Dakotaraptor are? It seems like maybe the arms are maybe a bit too long, but what else?

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

CityRaptor

It's the perfect size for a Jurassic Park Raptor....
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Kovu

Quote from: Patrx on October 30, 2015, 08:07:35 PM
I wonder what sort of contrived storyline would place a group of dromaeosaurs into direct physical combat with an adult Tyrannosaurus?

I'm imagining something involving an Edmontosaurus brought down by the "fearsome Tyrant" when, suddenly, a "marauding band of hunters catches the sent of an easy meal." The "King of the Cretaceous" must then defend his meal from the "cunning bandits". While the Rex has "his massive size to his advantage", the raptors have "speed and intelligence". And there's dramatic music.

Just a guess though.

stargatedalek

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 30, 2015, 10:44:41 PM
Does anybody happen to know just how off the proportions of the Saurian Dakotaraptor are? It seems like maybe the arms are maybe a bit too long, but what else?

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
It's very clearly based off of the Hartman Velociraptor skeletal.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2015, 01:00:06 AM
Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 30, 2015, 10:44:41 PM

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
It's very clearly based off of the Hartman Velociraptor skeletal.

Hmm, there certainly is a resemblance.   

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."

Loxodon

Here is an image of the Saurian Dakotaraptor without feathers:

I just realized how weird I now find featherless dromaeosaurs, they really do look like plucked birds.

CityRaptor

Probably has to do with the fact that this IS a plucked Dakotaraptor. If you look at the details, it looks like a naked feathered animal rather than a scaly one.

Oh no

PaleoMatt

Quote from: DinoLord on October 30, 2015, 06:43:48 PM
So this is what Alan Grant dug up at the beginning of JP...
Just what I thought!

Paleogene Pals

Well, another awesome find from my home state! Ah, to be a South Dakota geologist.  :)

Plasticbeast95

More Dromeosaurs is always a good thing. I like the colors of the Saurian one the best, what exactly is Saurian, anyway? I've heard of it, but I don't know what it is.

Yutyrannus

Okay, here is officially the best reconstruction of Dakotaraptor (by far) ;D:

Emily Willoughby really is an amazing paleoartist ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on November 01, 2015, 07:25:50 AM
Quote from: Patrx on October 30, 2015, 08:07:35 PMI've never found the evidence for pack hunting dromaeosaurs in general very compelling.

Hope this helps: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.msg38801#msg38801

Yes, I recall that thread. I participated in it as I recall. Still don't find it very compelling.

suspsy

That poor little orphaned baby Ornithomimus. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Plasticbeast95

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on November 01, 2015, 12:32:56 PMYes, I recall that thread. I participated in it as I recall. Still don't find it very compelling.

I know. I was actually responding to Patrx. Sorry for the confusion. Also, just to clarify, I'm not saying that all dromaeosaurs definitely hunted in big packs all the time, but that at least some eudromaeosaurs probably hunted in at least small packs (E.g. Mated pairs) at least sometimes. The evidence discussed in my 1st "Pack hunting dinosaurs" post is at least suggestive of the latter, especially given how important pack hunting is to many of the best modern eudromaeosaur analogues ( http://www.jstor.org/stable/1312102?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Ezikot

Quote from: Yutyrannus on November 01, 2015, 03:44:10 AM
(...)
Emily Willoughby really is an amazing paleoartist ;D!
i absolutely agree with you!

Suspy, thank you very much for sharing this news.

Loxodon

So Mesozoica apparently did another super shady thing. In short, they leaked the discovery of Dakotaraptor several days before the paper was released, and teased its discovery more than a month before.

http://spinosaurus-the-fisher.tumblr.com/post/132378003342/mesozoica-callout-post-dakotaraptor

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Loxodon on November 02, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
So Mesozoica apparently did another super shady thing. In short, they leaked the discovery of Dakotaraptor several days before the paper was released, and teased its discovery more than a month before.

http://spinosaurus-the-fisher.tumblr.com/post/132378003342/mesozoica-callout-post-dakotaraptor

All the things the people over at Mesozoica do really tick me off, and this just adds to the list >:( Not only do they claim there models are the most accurate (which they're not) they also do things like this. I much prefer Prehistoric Kingdom or Saurian to these guys.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

CityRaptor

Mesozoica? I have seen their attempt. It looks like a Skesis.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: