News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DAKOTARAPTOR LIVES!

Started by suspsy, October 30, 2015, 05:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Oh my.... I want to cry now! You don't respond to people pointing out inaccuracies by blocking them! Saurian actually replies and will cite sources, whereas they think "oh we talked to a marine biologist" is good enough for them.

PaleoMatt

Why Mesozoica are the Schleich of the Dinosaur gaming world!

PaleoMatt

Also I just commented this on their YouTube video

I'm ashamed of you! I was going to get this but not after what you did to your "fans" Blocking someone for pointing out innacurices is just ridiculous! Get some self respect and asking a marine bioligist who claims that mosasaurs don't have flukes because they're not a shark is stupid! Whales have flukes so are they sharks! Why don't you get something from a well respected paleontologist next time!

Mesozoica: Here we are guys with dakotaraptor!
Public:  Erm.. it's inacurrate we can see the fenestre! Hope you change it for your fans :)
Mesozoica: BLOCKED
Public: WOW How childish! makes forum about this. Riot starts

MESOZOICA RESPECT YOUR FANS!

CityRaptor

Quote from: TE Matt on November 02, 2015, 06:47:14 PM
Why Mesozoica are the Schleich of the Dinosaur gaming world!

Or maybe they are the Rebor, given some of the past behaviour of that company...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Difference being that while REBOR has acted petty in the past they haven't actually gone to any length to cover anything up. Honestly leaking this is one of the least awful things Mesozoica has done.

CityRaptor

Well, I haven't really followed the whole Mesozoica thing.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Am I the only one who feels that, aside from the horrible JW toys, we haven't been getting very many raptor toys lately? I want Achillobator and Austroraptor to get some plastic representation alongside Dakotaraptor.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

One reason for that could have been to avoid controversy over how much to feather the large dromaeosaurs. Hopefully this new discovery will put an end to that controversy.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2015, 12:47:58 AM
Am I the only one who feels that, aside from the horrible JW toys, we haven't been getting very many raptor toys lately? I want Achillobator and Austroraptor to get some plastic representation alongside Dakotaraptor.

I would love to have any of these, but sadly I think most toy companies wouldn't make them correctly, there's just so much they could mess up on. And if they did do it right, the final product would look much like a bird, something most companies probably wouldn't spring for. They want there dinosaurs to look like the general public sees dinosaurs, scaly and lizard like, or with minimal feathering.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

suspsy

I don't feel quite as pessimistic as that. Rebor and Papo still have a long, long way to grow, it's true, but CollectA has certainly shown no fear whatsoever about depicting dinosaurs with feathers. And Wild Safari has shown great promise this year with their Yutyrannus. Too bad they only do 4-5 dinosaurs per year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Yutyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2015, 12:47:58 AM
Once the paper describing the new material is published, it would be nice to see a properly feathered Utahraptor figure as well.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2015, 01:26:07 AM
I don't feel quite as pessimistic as that. Rebor and Papo still have a long, long way to grow, it's true, but CollectA has certainly shown no fear whatsoever about depicting dinosaurs with feathers. And Wild Safari has shown great promise this year with their Yutyrannus. Too bad they only do 4-5 dinosaurs per year.

Yeah, I'm just really picky when it comes to feathers on coelurosaurs. With me, it's all or nothing :))

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 02, 2015, 07:39:14 PM
Well, I haven't really followed the whole Mesozoica thing.

There's a lot to it but the TL;DR version is that it's become infamous for concept plagiarism (mostly of the JP-style dinosaurs), claiming scientific accuracy while not actually having much (often because of the JP-style dinosaurs) and shutting down critics. The Mesozoica name, for example, was already in use before the game showed up, and when the author of the original Mesozoica contacted them about it, they told him to take it up with their lawyers and then blocked him.

And now this has happened. Breaking the publication embargo is almost certainly going to come back to bite them.

"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

allosaurusrock

Quote from: DinoLord on November 03, 2015, 01:12:30 AM
One reason for that could have been to avoid controversy over how much to feather the large dromaeosaurs. Hopefully this new discovery will put an end to that controversy.

There is always going to be tons of controversy in paleontology, but I feel like more and more people are understanding that there are feathers with recently published discoveries.  (i.e. Zhenyuanlong, Dakotaraptor, not to mention feathery paleoart becoming more prominent to the public.)  Jurassic Park revolutionized how people view dinosaurs, now we need a movie just as good with feathers on all of the dinosaurs to change public opinion.
This is my signature.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: allosaurusrock on November 07, 2015, 04:58:00 AM
There is always going to be tons of controversy in paleontology, but I feel like more and more people are understanding that there are feathers with recently published discoveries.  (i.e. Zhenyuanlong, Dakotaraptor, not to mention feathery paleoart becoming more prominent to the public.)  Jurassic Park revolutionized how people view dinosaurs, now we need a movie just as good with feathers on all of the dinosaurs to change public opinion.

Seconded, and this was the primary reason why I boycotted Jurassic World. Not only did the raptors and Tyrannosaur lack feathers, there were also the tail-dragging herbivores that were, IMO, very sloppily modelled and looked like zombies. For all the dinosaurs, the models in the first three movies looked so much better, which is frankly a disgrace given how much CGI has come on since the release of JPIII.  Anyway, rant over. I feel this thread is showing signs of becoming a war zone.

Here's my Dakotaraptor: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3295.0

*Coughcoughshamelessself-promotioncoughcough* >:D
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 14, 2015, 02:14:14 PM

Seconded, and this was the primary reason why I boycotted Jurassic World. Not only did the raptors and Tyrannosaur lack feathers, there were also the tail-dragging herbivores that were, IMO, very sloppily modelled and looked like zombies. For all the dinosaurs, the models in the first three movies looked so much better, which is frankly a disgrace given how much CGI has come on since the release of JPIII.  Anyway, rant over. I feel this thread is showing signs of becoming a war zone.

To be fair Dr. Wu said in the movie that the dinosaurs in Jurassic World look different than they actually would because of the gaps in the DNA they had to fill with reptiles and amphibians.

Gwangi

I wasn't a fan of the dinosaur designs for "Jurassic World" either but I cannot fathom how anyone could claim the CGI was worse than that used for JP3. JP3 had some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in a big budget movie. Even in 2001 when I went and saw it I though it looked like crap. While JP and TLW stand up remarkably well, the CGI in "Jurassic World" is better. Did you see "Jurassic World"?

Rain

Yeah, Gwangi is right, the CGI in the first 3 was not better...  I think we're getting a bit off topicn ow  O:-)

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Gwangi on November 19, 2015, 03:20:16 AM

I wasn't a fan of the dinosaur designs for "Jurassic World" either but I cannot fathom how anyone could claim the CGI was worse than that used for JP3. JP3 had some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in a big budget movie. Even in 2001 when I went and saw it I though it looked like crap. While JP and TLW stand up remarkably well, the CGI in "Jurassic World" is better. Did you see "Jurassic World"?

I very deliberately didn't see the movie (I do know the basic plot), but I did watch the trailers and some other clips, so I don't see how watching the full movie would change my opinion on the CGI. Also, I think you misunderstood me - I meant that the CGI in the first two movies was good for its time - remember they were filmed in the '90s? Also, I never said that the CGI in JPIII was good, only that CGI techniques have improved since its release in 2001.

I don't mean to be ratty in saying this, and I apologise if it came across that way - I was just making clear my point of view on this. Anyhow, CGI aside, I think the real point I was trying to make was that some of the dinosaurs in JW would have been out-of-date even when the first film came out: it's as if the designs are moving backwards. Perhaps if JP is still going in the 2020s we'll have Crystal Palace Iguanodons? >:D

Back on topic (sort of, still related to Jurassic Park), it amuses me that back when they were making the first film and setting down the now-iconic designs, they made the raptors bigger so they'd be more impressive. Then the same year the film is released, Utahraptor is named! Now they've rebooted the franchise and... deja vu much?  :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

tyrantqueen

QuoteNow they've rebooted the franchise and... deja vu much?
They have...? JW was not a reboot, nor was it ever stated to be. I'm pretty sure it's a sequel.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: