News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prognathodon

Started by Newt, November 29, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

I'm embarking on my first real attempt at paleoart since I was a kid copying drawings from the Dinosaur Heresies, lo these many years ago. My subject is the mosasaur Prognathodon. It's one of the few Mesozoic reptiles known from my home state of Tennessee (local specimens have not been identified to species, so I'm making a sort of generalized Prognathodon, based mainly on P. overtoni).

My working process here is very much influenced by James Gurney's "How I Paint Dinosaurs" video. I'm starting with a three-dimensional bozetto or maquette made of polymer clay (in this case Kato Polyclay, just because I wanted to try it out). It's fairly quick and has just enough detail to help me figure out light and shadows.

Plasticbeast95

See, I could never be able to do things like this. Yours isn't even finished and its already better than anything I could do.

Newt

Thanks, but don't despair! If you want to get good at illustration, you can, so long as you're willing to put in some work. If you want help, I'm happy to give it (not that I'm all that great, but I do know a few things).

Lanthanotus

Very nice maquette, am curious for the final model. Did you use anything as a frame (connected to that screw?) or is it all made of polyclay?

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Newt on November 29, 2015, 06:31:42 PM
Thanks, but don't despair! If you want to get good at illustration, you can, so long as you're willing to put in some work. If you want help, I'm happy to give it (not that I'm all that great, but I do know a few things).

Oh I can draw pretty good, but I cannot work with clay! lol. :)

Newt

Thanks Lanthanotus! There is a simple armature of 17-gauge aluminum electric fence wire inside. I didn't take any in-progress pictures, but it wasn't very exciting anyway.

I should clarify: this maquette is a study for a painting, not a sculpture. I may make a somewhat larger-scale head-only maquette as well.

Newt

PB - if you can draw, you can sculpt! And if you sculpt, you'll get better at drawing! At least that's how it worked out for me.

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Newt on November 29, 2015, 06:41:03 PM
PB - if you can draw, you can sculpt! And if you sculpt, you'll get better at drawing! At least that's how it worked out for me.

Well if you want you can check out my art thread and give me your expert opinion. :)

Newt

Jetoar

Really beautiful sculpture Newt  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

fabricious

That is one great maquette, I love the flow of motion it has! Curious to see the finished work!

Newt

Newt

Just bought me a nice big canvas and am bout to get painting! Updates soon.

spinosaurus1

wow. just wow. your sir have amazed me with this maquette. wonderful work and i look forward in seeing your progress on it.

Newt

Newt

I'm getting started on the painting. It's on a 36" X 48" canvas.

First, an acrylic underpainting, just to cover the white canvas and see if the basic composition looks OK.

Then, the first layer of oils.

Still a very long ways to go!

Kayakasaurus

Super fun and looking great so far!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Newt

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Newt

Thanks Raptor!

More progress:

I've actually done quite a bit more, but haven't taken any more progress pics. It should be done tonight, along with a companion piece of the coeval sea turtle Toxochelys weeksi. Both will be hung at a community gallery in Selmer, Tennessee, along with pieces by my (much more talented) girlfriend.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: