News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Price of Rare Figures on the Web

Started by RobinGoodfellow, December 12, 2015, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 16, 2022, 09:16:16 PMWith their much better distribution, I never thought I'd see Carnegies going for Battat prices. I bought my new brachiosaurus in the Carnegie Museum's gift shop when it first came out. I'm glad I bought some extras when the Carnegie was retired, though not of the brachiosaurus.
That's certainly true of the last half decade or so of Forest Rogers' creations - they were a lot fewer in number of annual releases than those of the first years and also likely were produced in much smaller total numbers per taxon, by a country mile. Putting the two together and adding a wonderful level of artistic quality, AND PRESTO ... Battat level demand (and on merit). The early generations, on the other hand, were produced in such numbers that it will be a very, very long time before they become really valuable, if ever.

Gwangi

Well, I'm kicking myself for not keeping up better with Carnegie's later releases. I have a bunch of them, like the Carnotaurus and Miragaia but there are some I would still like to have in my collection and never acquired, like the Spinosaurus, Tylosaurus, and Ichthyosaurus.

Flaffy

While I too am on the lookout for a Carnegie Brachiosaurus, I'm also holding out for Eofauna to make their own version.

Halichoeres

I really doubt that these prices will last. I think eventually people who have these in boxes somewhere will figure out that they're sitting on some cash, and more will be made available for sale.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

Well, didn't see a Kleinwelka for quite a while - especially not the Diplodocus -
no wonder someone snatched it within a few hours - even though the head is in a pretty bad shape ...

postsaurischian

:o  Some people in Eastern Germany should check their lofts and cellars!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 03, 2023, 10:31:27 PMWell, didn't see a Kleinwelka for quite a while - especially not the Diplodocus -
no wonder someone snatched it within a few hours - even though the head is in a pretty bad shape ...

If the seller was anthonys_collections then expect to see more rarities listed in the coming weeks. This is the late Anthony Beeson's collection, substantial parts of it at least, being sold off. I promised the seller I would share a link so here it is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/anthonys_collections

ceratopsian

Thanks for that avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum.  I had no idea that his collection was going up on eBay.  A shame the brand-new in bag Invicta Cetiosaurus is a box of 10!!

BrontoScorpio

Now, this is truely unbelievable :

750 USD for one VERY small 'C.O.G. Ltd Matchbox series Early Reptile Dicynodon--Prehistoric Panorama' :

It seems like a lot of emotions were involved here :

It looks particularly ironic - as Joe had sold a whole group of these, not too long ago, for a few dozens of USD, If I remember correctly -
so, it's a good thing I got mine for 6 AUD each - and I thought it was too much ...
As for the ' Dicynodon ' - I would have given it 19 USD if I felt particularly generouss ...

Crackington

Blimey! They've overpaid by lots I think!

I actually got all the Cogs Prehistoric Panorama figures when they came out, but they have been re-issued since in various forms. A bit of patience and asking around should have got the buyer a much better deal.

Btw  Robert Telleria has an interesting article in Prehistoric Times about the rarity of dinosaur etc figures. He conducted a data search into auction,ebay and other sales from the last few years and concluded that most brands are not rare and it's misleading for sellers to describe them as such.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Crackington on August 06, 2023, 11:13:46 AM... Btw  Robert Telleria has an interesting article in Prehistoric Times about the rarity of dinosaur etc figures. He conducted a data search into auction,ebay and other sales from the last few years and concluded that most brands are not rare and it's misleading for sellers to describe them as such.
Tell me about it ... :)
This is so obvious.
what issue of ' Prehistoric Times ' are we talking about ?

Ikessauro

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 06, 2023, 09:00:43 AMNow, this is truely unbelievable
It seems like a lot of emotions were involved here

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 06, 2023, 12:53:18 PM
Quote from: Crackington on August 06, 2023, 11:13:46 AM... Btw  Robert Telleria has an interesting article in Prehistoric Times about the rarity of dinosaur etc figures. He conducted a data search into auction,ebay and other sales from the last few years and concluded that most brands are not rare and it's misleading for sellers to describe them as such.
Tell me about it ... :)
This is so obvious.
what issue of ' Prehistoric Times ' are we talking about ?

A lot of emotions indeed! I hate when people let their emotions get in their way of  a figure and start a bid war early on in the auction. Can't wrap my head around how that is advantageous. I understand bidding a low bid to prevent the auction from being taken down while it has no bids. But to set up a high maximum bid days before it ends and let the price skyrocket makes no sense to me whatsoever. If everyone only bid in the last minutes of an auction, sure, the price would increase, but not by that much and we could avoid figures that are not actually rare, becoming this expensive. You all know how things are on eBay, next seller to list this item will base their price on this absurd one and then we will have hard time acquiring the figures when we are not willing or able to shed that much cash for it.

The "rare" label on dino figures is so overused. So called "rare" dinos that you can find whenever you want on eBay  ;D
There's always one for sale, expensive of course, because they are "rare".

Battat Diplodocus comes to mind, Demon Carnotaurus from Kenner, lots of Carnegie dinos and so on.

Crackington

avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio - it's the current issue of Prehistoric Times,146

BrontoScorpio

I was getting ready to have some additions to my 'Ceramic/Porcelain' shelf - but the closing prices just overwhelmed me ...

BlueKrono

It's a bummer they didn't know those were Abbeons. I've been hunting for that Mosasaur for years. Absolutely one of my most wanted figures. I wonder if I'll ever see another one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

I wasn't even aware of this Kaiyodo Sudo "Herptiles Replica Series" Sinemys gamera until it showed up on YAJ. I bid on it, but it quickly got too rich for my blood. I think it must be pretty close to life-size.

The final bid was 81000 yen. The other figures in the series, as far as I know, are all extant, so I didn't track the auctions.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

People should realy pay attention what they spend their money on ... LOL

This resent Auction on YAJ for example -

A white variant 'Limited 100 Lottery' of the DINOTALES Chocolasaurus set no. 2

Sim

I was recently on ebay and saw that there's several Battat Diplodocus on there for over £500!  I don't know why Battat didn't reissue this popular figure, or why they didn't continue to release the figures Dan LoRusso prepared for them.  I think the demand for the Diplodocus is there, and afaik the Battat Terra dinosaurs are still being sold, so why not introduce more of them?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Sim on March 10, 2024, 10:11:04 PMI was recently on ebay and saw that there's several Battat Diplodocus on there for over £500!  I don't know why Battat didn't reissue this popular figure, or why they didn't continue to release the figures Dan LoRusso prepared for them.  I think the demand for the Diplodocus is there, and afaik the Battat Terra dinosaurs are still being sold, so why not introduce more of them?

It really is a shame things turned out the way they did, especially with the unreleased sculpts. I'm not sure if the Terra line is still being produced or not. I know it's been a while since they've been out of Target but I wonder if the stock on Amazon is from when they were.

If sales were low, I'm sure it was because of how they were distributed, being Target exclusives and not particularly prominent in the toy department. The sculpts are as good as, and often better than their Safari counterparts, and even cost less at retail.

For most of my time collecting, the diplodocus hovered at around $250-300 or so, but it seems to have gone up a bit after one sold for $500. Though they took a dip when we all thought a re-release was imminent. I saw some go unsold at a starting bid of $99 at the time. I've heard of them going for four-digit prices when they were first discovered by the online dinosaur collecting community as eBay was coming to prominence. I bought mine in 2020 in perfect shape for $300. Got an acrocanthosaurus at the time for $65 too, which wasn't bad considering I'm used to seeing them go for at least $200. I'm sure the re-release brought the price down in that case.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

brettnj

Scanning the site it finally occurs to me that I should note in this thread that when I list on eBay, I search for the lowest price already there and beat it (at least for US buyers as of course international shipping changes things beyond my control). I note in my descriptions that if in the interim someone has listed at a lower price to contact me and barring extreme circumstances, I'll lower mine to beat it.

However, for buyers here, don't buy via eBay. PM and I'll sell directly with a 10% discount.

Thanks.
Brett
bmk17 seller ID, Japanese animal dinosaur figures shop name
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=bmk17&store_name=japaneseanimaldinosaurfigures&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l170197

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: