News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 12, 2016, 07:41:15 AM
The latest version of Spino has brighter rainbow colors on the sail.  If you look at my Spino galleries, you can clearly see the difference between the original and darker second version released the last few years.  But the added "color" to the sail is a nice touch and I definitely want to pick one up!  When I first seen it, it grabbed my attention!!!!!

Isn't that the version 2 spino? I thought you said it was the 3rd variant

Viking Spawn

Quote from: imnewhere on January 12, 2016, 11:45:59 AM
The latest version of Spino has brighter rainbow colors on the sail.  If you look at my Spino galleries, you can clearly see the difference between the original and darker second version released the last few years.  But the added "color" to the sail is a nice touch and I definitely want to pick one up!  When I first seen it, it grabbed my attention!!!!!

The third variant has even brighter rainbow colors than the second version I posted.  I'll have to go out and get this newer one so you can see what I mean.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 14, 2016, 12:50:57 AM
Quote from: imnewhere on January 12, 2016, 11:45:59 AM

The third variant has even brighter rainbow colors than the second version I posted.  I'll have to go out and get this newer one so you can see what I mean.

Please do I'd love to see it

oscars_dinos

And ok just to recap for what I call the "unofficial officials" we have the brown running rex, stego version 2 and apparently 3 versions of the spino ???

Viking Spawn

Quote from: imnewhere on January 14, 2016, 02:53:46 AM
And ok just to recap for what I call the "unofficial officials" we have the brown running rex, stego version 2 and apparently 3 versions of the spino ???

And don't forget the Allosaurus variant too.

PAPO ALLOSAURUS (2008 Version 1)

FULL GALLERY:

https://picasaweb.google.com/VikingSpawn/PAPOALLOSAURUS2008#

Saurox

Oh wow, my second Allosaurus is different to that one.

oscars_dinos

I mean yes I can see the color difference but is it enough for us to consider it a version 2 allo? I'm just saying because i really don't see that much of a drastic change

Saurox

Quote from: imnewhere on January 15, 2016, 12:13:57 AM
I mean yes I can see the color difference but is it enough for us to consider it a version 2 allo? I'm just saying because i really don't see that much of a drastic change

Not enough to say 'version 2', with it being the same sculpt with no alterations ( e.g. the jaw of the green tr ex and the brown t rex being quite different) and the base paint scheme is still very evident despite the striking orange around the eyes, but defiantly enough to credit it as a separate collectable. If that makes sense.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: masakira on January 15, 2016, 12:39:09 AM
Quote from: imnewhere on January 15, 2016, 12:13:57 AM

Not enough to say 'version 2', with it being the same sculpt with no alterations ( e.g. the jaw of the green tr ex and the brown t rex being quite different) and the base paint scheme is still very evident despite the striking orange around the eyes, but defiantly enough to credit it as a separate collectable. If that makes sense.

Well yea that makes sense maybe version was the wrong word but what I meant by it was like how we all call the 2nd paint variant of the stego "version 2"

Saurox

Ah, I see what you mean.

Here are the marginal paint differences in the allo and pterosaur i found, and i mean only marginal.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/masakira/library/Dinos?sort=3&page=1

oscars_dinos

Quote from: masakira on January 15, 2016, 01:05:22 AM
Ah, I see what you mean.

Here are the marginal paint differences in the allo and pterosaur i found, and i mean only marginal.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/masakira/library/Dinos?sort=3&page=1

THE PTEROSAUR TO!!!!

Saurox

It very much the same as the normal one only with a bit of a white over bit. There the ones they sell in my local toys r us.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: masakira on January 15, 2016, 01:19:38 AM
It very much the same as the normal one only with a bit of a white over bit. There the ones they sell in my local toys r us.

But the point to all of this is that there's no like new variant the community is classifying right? like if I want to say that my papo collection is 100% complete does that mean that I'd have to get the allo or is it not really considered a 2nd variant like the stego and spino??

Saurox

Quote from: imnewhere on January 15, 2016, 01:27:16 AM

But the point to all of this is that there's no like new variant the community is classifying right? like if I want to say that my papo collection is 100% complete does that mean that I'd have to get the allo or is it not really considered a 2nd variant like the stego and spino??

I would say that if you've collected all the 'official' figurines, than you could claim that you had a complete collection. 'Discolourations' like a couple of mine are fun to collect and do add something extra, but that's merely subjective in my opinion. I've only been collecting for about 6 months or so having only rekindled my love of Palaeontology and dinosaurs very recently, so I can only express my own opinion rather than speak for the host of 'real collectors'. 

Viking Spawn

I guess this will depend upon what you consider a second variation?!  To me, the paint apps are enough for me to tell them apart on my shelves.  Hence, I view them as variations since there are very noticeable differences.  If the differences are so subtle that you can't tell one from the other without getting up very close and personal, then I'd say no. 

If you are looking at modifications in the sculpts themselves, then I don't believe there are any true confirmed variations yet. 

Or you can base it on completely new paint schemes.  Examples, Running Brown & Green T-Rex, Standing Green, Brown, and Rainbow Rex's. etc.....

Viking Spawn

Quote from: masakira on January 15, 2016, 01:49:27 AM

I would say that if you've collected all the 'official' figurines, than you could claim that you had a complete collection. 'Discolourations' like a couple of mine are fun to collect and do add something extra, but that's merely subjective in my opinion. I've only been collecting for about 6 months or so having only rekindled my love of Palaeontology and dinosaurs very recently, so I can only express my own opinion rather than speak for the host of 'real collectors'.

I agree.  ^^^^^

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 15, 2016, 01:54:54 AM

I guess this will depend upon what you consider a second variation?!  To me, the paint apps are enough for me to tell them apart on my shelves.  Hence, I view them as variations since there are very noticeable differences.  If the differences are so subtle that you can't tell one from the other without getting up very close and personal, then I'd say no. 

If you are looking at modifications in the sculpts themselves, then I don't believe there are any true confirmed variations yet. 

Or you can base it on completely new paint schemes.  Examples, Running Brown & Green T-Rex, Standing Green, Brown, and Rainbow Rex's. etc.....

I agree with your opinion actually but for me I just go by with what you guys say so if you say that theres a version 2 stego then I'm getting a version 2 stego

Saurox

I think the 2 stegos look great together.

Viking Spawn

And their differences are obvious too.  ;)

Once you see them side by side, you'll know also.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: