News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

adventures in shipping

Started by Doug Watson, January 14, 2016, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteAh no, not the same.  At least it might have meant that 100 years ago but these days it simply means "garden shed"!!  I really don't like the thought of the poor Carnegie beast coming to such an inglorious end!

I am English, and an outhouse has always been a toilet to me. I'm not that old either (25). I don't know of anyone ever using the term to describe a garden shed.

laticauda

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 14, 2016, 09:23:38 PM
QuoteAh no, not the same.  At least it might have meant that 100 years ago but these days it simply means "garden shed"!!  I really don't like the thought of the poor Carnegie beast coming to such an inglorious end!

I am English, and an outhouse has always been a toilet to me. I'm not that old either (25). I don't know of anyone ever using the term to describe a garden shed.

Some people in the states use the "outhouse" as a decoration in their yards or within their flower beds.  They might put garden tools in there. 

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 14, 2016, 08:36:41 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on January 14, 2016, 08:28:45 PM
I once received a package that wasn't meant for me. The seller accidentally shipped a lot of dinosaurs my way (so no shipping service's fault, but still a shipping adventure) after I gave her my address for calcualting shipping costs. I didn't actually win that eBay lot though, so the actual buyer had to wait a bit longer for his/her package to arrive safe and sound. I did after all reship the package of course (though only when the seller refunded the costs to me), even though it contained dinosaur figures I then highly coveted (but found for myself soon afterwards). Oh, to be honest and good, what sweet balm for the soul 'tis! :)

Good for you! You bought yourself some good karma.

Absolutely, good karma all the way. 

Doug Watson

In North America we also call small sheds and other buildings on a property "outbuildings".

Doug Watson

Okay, the saga continues for my three tiny Lido figures that started this thread. They were processed in Alaska yesterday and I guess most of you would think they would send them to the closest Canadian postal sorting facility to me correct? Wrong! They have been shipped back east to Richmond, Virginia which is 666.8 miles directly south of me. So for those of you who would like to keep track, my three teeny tiny figures that were originally only 397.8 miles south of me have now travelled 8,490.5 miles courtesy of the USPS. Stay tuned to see where their next adventure takes them! Will they ever reach me? Only the USPS knows.

Halichoeres

What well traveled figures! I once had a package that was supposed to be sent to my office IN A GIANT, IMPOSSIBLE-TO-MISS MUSEUM, at 1400 S Lake Shore. A typo (mine, I think) got it addressed to 1500 S Lake Shore, an address which doesn't exist (it's just a field of grass in a park right next to the GIANT MUSEUM WHOSE NAME WAS IN THE ADDRESS). It was delivered instead to an apartment building at 1500 N Lake Shore, where it disappeared, never to be recovered.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 16, 2016, 07:10:22 PM
What well traveled figures! I once had a package that was supposed to be sent to my office IN A GIANT, IMPOSSIBLE-TO-MISS MUSEUM, at 1400 S Lake Shore. A typo (mine, I think) got it addressed to 1500 S Lake Shore, an address which doesn't exist (it's just a field of grass in a park right next to the GIANT MUSEUM WHOSE NAME WAS IN THE ADDRESS). It was delivered instead to an apartment building at 1500 N Lake Shore, where it disappeared, never to be recovered.

Well that really sucks, hopefully it wasn't a rare figure or a museum specimen. My latest adventure reminds me of the old video ping pong game I expect to see them ponged slowly back to California now!

EmperorDinobot

Priority for some reason always smashes my packages...well the last three one have been ok.

Yesterday I had my mother attempt to send a huge international box for three hours. I'm a terrible kid.

I have a million stories, I just hate talking about it because every time I think about it I... *ignites lightsaber and throws temper tantrum*

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 16, 2016, 07:56:02 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 16, 2016, 07:10:22 PM

Well that really sucks, hopefully it wasn't a rare figure or a museum specimen. My latest adventure reminds me of the old video ping pong game I expect to see them ponged slowly back to California now!
No, it was just toys, and easily replaced ones at that. I probably lost $50, which sucks but isn't too bad. Looking forward to seeing where else your package goes.

On another note, the last three packages I sent to the UK that weren't through eBay disappeared. I found out that the guy in the mailroom has been marking everything I send internationally as a gift, which isn't really true, but which has evidently not affected any packages before. Does anyone know if there's some kind of crackdown at UK customs that would be causing "gifts" to be flagged or delayed? They were all sent before Christmas, which seems like the most plausible time for actual gifts, but who knows...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Doug Watson

Well the saga is finally over the three little Lido figures that were coming from Allentown, Pennsylvania finally arrived yesterday. So originally they were only 397.8 miles due south of me when they started their journey. After that things got crazy.
First stop Anchorage, Alaska which is 4,111.5 miles Northwest of me on the other side of the continent.
Next they were shipped due south to Richmond, California which is 3,055.9 miles. Originally I thought it was Richmond, Virginia but that would have made too much sense.
After that they were moved to San Francisco, California another 17 miles.
From there they went north to Richmond, British Columbia, yeah! finally in Canada and another 943.2 miles.(BTW They would have flown over Richmond, BC on the way to Richmond, CA :o)
The final trip Richmond, BC to Ottawa, Ontario, 2,704.1 miles.
Original distance from me, 397.8 miles, total distance travelled 10,831.7 miles. By the way the address on the package was perfect so no excuse there.
The kicker here is I had another package shipped for the same postage at the same time from Haverhill, Massachusetts which is only 408.7 miles south of me and it has taken the direct route through NY, to Montreal and it was just processed in Ottawa this morning. They seem to travel faster when they screw up.

Halichoeres

I know people who haven't traveled that far in their lives!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 21, 2016, 03:19:03 PM
I know people who haven't traveled that far in their lives!

I wish I could have picked up the Air Miles Points! At least it wasn't lost like your packages, that is horrible. I have been very lucky (knocking on wood), the worst that has happened to me on eBay is a guy sent me a Mickey Mouse watch that was pictured as perfect but when I got it it was missing the crown and the stem. I even e-mailed him photos and a copy of the repair bill and he still refused to acknowledge the problem. He ended up being dumped by eBay. Another time I won an Aurora Monster model and the guy gave me excuse after excuse for the delay in shipping and finally I had to get my money back from eBay.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.