News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. - New for 2016

Started by Halichoeres, January 20, 2016, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

Redondasaurus is probably the best of the new ones. And that train! so cool!

Faelrin

Are those Cambrian figures only available in Japan? I really do like/want the Anomalocaris (blue), Opabinia, Hallucigenia, and Wiwaxia the most of the bunch. They don't look like they would be too much out of place alongside the Safari Ltd. Cambrian Life Toob figures either, though I don't know how big these are in comparison to the Toob ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SBell

Quote from: Faelrin on September 15, 2016, 02:43:08 AM
Are those Cambrian figures only available in Japan? I really do like/want the Anomalocaris (blue), Opabinia, Hallucigenia, and Wiwaxia the most of the bunch. They don't look like they would be too much out of place alongside the Safari Ltd. Cambrian Life Toob figures either, though I don't know how big these are in comparison to the Toob ones.

So far, yes. Favorite hasn't had much luck getting into markets outside of Japan.

That doesn't stop some of us though...I already have the ancient fishes, and the Cambrian figures are on their way!

Flaffy

Quote from: SBell on September 16, 2016, 06:49:32 AM

So far, yes. Favorite hasn't had much luck getting into markets outside of Japan.

That doesn't stop some of us though...I already have the ancient fishes, and the Cambrian figures are on their way!
Schleich fills the shelves with their overpriced monstrosities, leaving no room for other companies...
Well TBH, Japan is known to keep the best for themselves in terms of products, wouldn't be surprised if figures are the same as well. :P

SBell

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 16, 2016, 07:42:37 AM
Quote from: SBell on September 16, 2016, 06:49:32 AM

Schleich fills the shelves with their overpriced monstrosities, leaving no room for other companies...
Well TBH, Japan is known to keep the best for themselves in terms of products, wouldn't be surprised if figures are the same as well. :P

That is true--I think a lot of it has to do with meeting the various International standards. It's not that they don't (they likely exceed them) but the testing is expensive, and is different for every country/trade region, so they don't bother. Favorite (as Kinto) did start a presence in the foreign market in the ealry 2000s, but seems to have pulled back into Japan now, right when they are getting really interesting.

Faelrin

How would I go about getting them then (I'm in the US), or am I out of luck on being able to purchase these? I did see them on ebay but I'm not sure if the prices there have been inflated or not for them. Of course this will have to wait until I'm done with my additional purchases for the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures and stuff, assuming I can get these at all. 

DC

Black Hills was the last distributor.  I have the Marella and Anamolcaris and like them. I felt Kinto tend to do the same dozen figures over and over again, very nicely done but I like something a little different.  lately they have been branching out. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Daspletodave

Quote from: Faelrin on September 16, 2016, 09:07:48 PM
How would I go about getting them then (I'm in the US), or am I out of luck on being able to purchase these? I did see them on ebay but I'm not sure if the prices there have been inflated or not for them. Of course this will have to wait until I'm done with my additional purchases for the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures and stuff, assuming I can get these at all.

Brett can get all the current figures for you at good prices, straight from Japan.

Daspletodave

Quote from: DC on September 16, 2016, 09:13:58 PM
Black Hills was the last distributor.  I have the Marella and Anamolcaris and like them. I felt Kinto tend to do the same dozen figures over and over again, very nicely done but I like something a little different.  lately they have been branching out.

Over and over again is a bit of an exageration. There have only been two series - the original set of 14 models that came out in 2004 and is now retired. A Spinosaurus was added much later, making it 15 models (although the green and brown T-Rexes were the identical mold). A couple of years ago they rebooted the series, releasing 13 new models - they dropped the Apatosaurus, Deinonychus and Pachycephalosaurus but added a Velociraptor.  Again there were 2 T-Rexes, but this time they were different molds.

Over the same time period (2004 to 2016) how many T-Rexes alone have been released by Safari, Papo or Collecta? Talk about repeat offenders!

Faelrin

Should I let them know now that I'm interested in them? Or should I wait until I'm ready to purchase them (sometime after Oct 7 for the BotM survey lockdown)? At the very least I'm interested in the blue Anomalocaris, Hallucigenia, Opabinia, and Wiwaxia.

DC

Quote from: Daspletodave on September 16, 2016, 10:25:24 PM

Over and over again is a bit of an exageration. There have only been two series - the original set of 14 models that came out in 2004 and is now retired. A Spinosaurus was added much later, making it 15 models (although the green and brown T-Rexes were the identical mold). A couple of years ago they rebooted the series, releasing 13 new models - they dropped the Apatosaurus, Deinonychus and Pachycephalosaurus but added a Velociraptor.  Again there were 2 T-Rexes, but this time they were different molds.

Kinto has at least half a dozen series in production not counting the resin.  Only two of the My Favorite got distribtion in North America and that is what you are trefering to.  They produce many more series in Japan for the local market.

Halichoeres

Don't get too excited. Favorite has repainted some of their vinyl models, so if you're into big squishy dinosaurs, you might be interested.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletodave

Now that I've got the five boxed sets, I have to say that these are the best models Favorite has done to date. I won't post any pics - they're available elsewhere on this site. Here is my take on the figures: the level of detail is just stunning. The Pentaceratops is one of the best ceratopsian figures ever produced. Redondasaurus is simply amazing. They even manage to pack a lot of detail on the smaller figures, such as the Coelophysis, Yinlong, and Sinoceratops (which can serve as a pretty close stand-in for a Centrosaurus). IMO the sign of a good dino toy maker is they take as much care with their smaller figures (ie Battat Gallimimus, Favorite Pachycephalosaurus) as they do with their much larger models. So if you were at all concerned about the size of these new Favorite releases (the Zhuchengtyrannus is only 19 cm long) don't be! You will be blown away by the quality of these ten figures.

Another observation - I think these sets may be the new formula for Favorite - include two figures with removable bases and a paper display background (it's the same background in all 5 sets, and the same as the one used in the Concavenator boxed set) in a colorful display box. The Concavenator set was the first set to have all these characteristics. I can see Favorite using this winning formula again next year - we might not get 5 sets every year, but I think we'll get one or two new sets for sure. It seems every year in Japan there is at least one major dinosaur exhibition, and Favorite is selling the merchandise.

DC

I agree the specialty box sets are their best figures, although the Cambrian figures run a close second

Halichoeres

Cambrian boxed set with a yellow repaint of the Anomalocaris, available in November.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

deanm

Well at least I can now look for the yellow Anomalocaris to finish my set... 😀

Carcharodontosaurus

I love the Cambrian set! Does anyone know how an American can acquire it?

Bucklander

Quote from: Carcharodontosaurus on November 01, 2016, 01:14:14 PM
Send a PM to Brett (brettnj)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Carcharodontosaurus on November 01, 2016, 01:14:14 PM

You can buy them directly from Japan, just sending a request to JPSelection:
https://jpselection.ocnk.net/contact/667e3cb26eea3c6e8447d4a7f78df4ce7cd20c7a60b81a87ece65eb376a8f5b7

Hawk

Do you have a photo of the dueling Yutyrannus next to say, oh, the Safari Ltd. Yutyrannus? I got this set on Ebay and am wondering what sortthe of scale they are in. 😊
R. Hawk

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: