You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scientist attempt to clone an a cave lion.

Started by stoneage, March 07, 2016, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Gwangi

This seems more plausible than cloning a mammoth, what with it being a sub-species of Panthera leo.

PaleoMatt

CityRaptor

Not the most spectacular of prehistoric animals, but probably a good starting point.

Quote from: SBell on March 07, 2016, 05:02:23 PM
Welcome...to Pleistocene Park!

Visitor: But that's a lion. They have those in like every Zoo ever...( Because that is what they will look like to the untrained public )

Comments don't load for me, are they the usual mess?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

It would be interesting to see if there are any notable visual differences.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 07, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
This seems more plausible than cloning a mammoth, what with it being a sub-species of Panthera leo.
That's debatable, and from what I understand the general consensus now is that it and P. atrox are separate species from P. leo, but still closely related. Also, evidently some cave art depicts Eurasian cave lions as having faint stripes and lacking manes.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

Same scientist was hanged with malpractice in stem-cell research a few years back forging data, not getting my hopes up.

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 07, 2016, 10:26:56 PM
That's debatable, and from what I understand the general consensus now is that it and P. atrox are separate species from P. leo, but still closely related. Also, evidently some cave art depicts Eurasian cave lions as having faint stripes and lacking manes.

::) Well, sure, it's debatable. What isn't? They're still related on the genus level which is more than can be said for mammoths and extant elephants.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 07, 2016, 11:32:51 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 07, 2016, 10:26:56 PM

::) Well, sure, it's debatable. What isn't? They're still related on the genus level which is more than can be said for mammoths and extant elephants.
Yes, but you specifically stated that it was a subspecies of Panthera leo, which I was simply pointing out is a particularly debated subject, and right now most of the evidence seems to be pointing to it and P. atrox being separate species from P. leo, that are very closely related to the latter. In fact, if you follow the cladogram in this paper, the closest relative of P. leo is actually P. pardus:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025483

Although, something worth looking into further that for some reason no one hasn't been is whether or not the Eurasian cave lion and American lion are closely related enough to be considered subspecies within the species P. spelaea...

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 08, 2016, 12:26:01 AM
Yes, but you specifically stated that it was a subspecies of Panthera leo, which I was simply pointing out is a particularly debated subject, and right now most of the evidence seems to be pointing to it and P. atrox being separate species from P. leo, that are very closely related to the latter. In fact, if you follow the cladogram in this paper, the closest relative of P. leo is actually P. pardus:

Although, something worth looking into further that for some reason no one hasn't been is whether or not the Eurasian cave lion and American lion are closely related enough to be considered subspecies within the species P. spelaea...

Are we arguing about something? I'm aware of what I said and I acknowledged your response.

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 08, 2016, 02:03:03 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 08, 2016, 12:26:01 AM

Are we arguing about something? I'm aware of what I said and I acknowledged your response.
No, I am just particularly interested in this subject, and I found it quite interesting that the paper I linked to found the closest relative of P. leo to be P. pardus, so I shared the link to it. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way :-[.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 08, 2016, 04:38:55 AM
No, I am just particularly interested in this subject, and I found it quite interesting that the paper I linked to found the closest relative of P. leo to be P. pardus, so I shared the link to it. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way :-[.

No worries. You were just repeating back to me what I had already said so I wanted to make sure you weren't trying to make a debate about it. It is very interesting, but the close relationship between all of Panthera is interesting if you ask me.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 08, 2016, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 08, 2016, 04:38:55 AM

No worries. You were just repeating back to me what I had already said so I wanted to make sure you weren't trying to make a debate about it. It is very interesting, but the close relationship between all of Panthera is interesting if you ask me.
Indeed, it is. I also find it quite interesting that there have only ever been (as far as we currently know) two pantherine genera.

Also, I would love it if they manage to clone cave lions, they are (along with Siberian tigers and Amur leopards) my favorite big cats :).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.