You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Magnificent photos ceraptosian. The sinoceratops honors the company Vitae is a marvel.  :)

ceratopsian

Halichoeres

Maybe it's all the gray, but the color scheme puts me in mind of a garden sculpture. Very pretty model, and amazing all the pointy bits survived the journey!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 18, 2018, 11:33:01 PM
.........Very pretty model, and amazing all the pointy bits survived the journey!

The polystyrene within the box was very carefully cut to hold the model and the base tightly within.  I was actually quite worried about chipping off the end of the horn as I struggled to extract it from its "nest".  You also need to be terribly careful positioning it on its base, as there isn't a very obvious "sweet spot" into which the feet nestle.  It's quite perched!

Mackeral

Congrats on another great model Ceratopsian :)
The models looks very nice, great skin detail. The choosen colour scheme is indeed unusual, but fits the model very well.

ceratopsian

Thank you Mackeral - I think you have picked out its strength in the skin detail.

ceratopsian

Still catching up with my recent arrivals....  Last week I had a second package from China, this time from our own acro-man and shipped out just before Chinese New Year.  He had acquired a Triceratops "Doyle" for me a while back but we decided he should hold onto it until Musee Studio's Carnotaurus diorama was ready to ship.  It never ceases to surprise me that I can have a package from Beijing take less than a week!  While I'm happy with "Doyle", I'm also rather sad to think that this is almost certainly the last PNSO box I'll have to disembowel, short of a miracle.

Today I'm showing you my "Doyle", looking distinctly fierce. Not something I would want bearing down on me!

And his box:

As the Vitae Sinoceratops was still at liberty out of his cabinet, I took a couple of comparison shots:

Jose S.M.

I love Doyle's pose, it's very dynamic, also it's coloration is great, specially the frill.

ceratopsian

Yes. I hadn't realised quite how dynamic until I looked at him head on!

postsaurischian

:D Beautiful ceratopsians! Beautiful photos!
      I hope modellpferdeversand.de will stock the Vitae Sinoceratops soon.
      These international shipping costs have been getting too much for me throughout the last months, so I better wait.

ceratopsian

Today's offering is the new Carnotaurus diorama from Musee Studio, called "Expel", which I bought through acro-man.  I was lucky enough to have one of the first available and so it was posted before the Chinese New Year.  For the story of what is happening in the scene, see acro-man's introduction here:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5473.0

The sculptor was Muxi, the paint scheme by Tison Zhang.

This model rather breaks with my normal collecting habits, as I generally avoid scenes with hunting and gory dead dinosaurs, but I was won over the the addition of the pair of Cearadactylus and the dynamic of the scene.  If I'm feeling too squeamish about the Kritosaurus being eaten alive by the pack of pterosaurs, I can comfort myself by Musee Studio's tale that it was old and already breathing its last (and hence had lived a long and full life)!  Here's some photos:

I'm happy with the model and am pleased I bought it - as with Musee Studio's earlier Diabloceratops, there is a rhythm and balance to the composition.  I like the attention to detail - e.g. the little bit of meat in the mouth of one of the fleeing pterosaurs.  It was a bit tricky to insert the peg of the Carnotaurus into the base but it seems secure, even if not in as far as I would like.  The lid of the box came apart when I opened it, but just needs a bit of tape to restore it.  I thought that there might be a card with the lovely artwork scene that acro-man posted (see link above) but there isn't.  So I'll just have to print off his image for my records!

postsaurischian

:D Congratulations! Very very nice!! I can't wait to get mine.

Shonisaurus

The truth that it is worth buying these figures from Musee Studio and at a limited price. The carnotaurus resin diorama shooing two cearadacylus from its prey a kritosaurus chaser is great.  :)

Halichoeres

I found this piece very tempting for the pterosaurs. But I keep telling myself I don't collect resin figures!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I give you the reason Halichoeres regarding the non-collecting of resin dinosaurs. I have the resin dinosaurs of the Favorite company and the triceratops hatching coming out of the shell (limited edition) of Rebor and I can assure that they give a lot of work in terms of cleaning and maintenance in closed showcases to prevent them from deteriorating or breaking.  :(

They are figures in many cases superior to PVC but apart from the costly, they give twice as much work as the figures of dinosaur toys and prehistoric animals.  :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 21, 2018, 04:04:34 PM
They are figures in many cases superior to PVC but apart from the costly, they give twice as much work as the figures of dinosaur toys and prehistoric animals.  :)
Very true!

The resin of Musee Studio feels much more flexible and more like plastic than the resin of Favorite or Vitae.  But I haven't tested this by dropping!!

ceratopsian

Today I'm showing off something that arrived earlier in the month.  I have a shelf devoted to models involving eggs and nests, along with juveniles.  Some of the models verge rather on (land solidly within?) kitsch and cute.  (Imagine my cheeks reddening with embarrassment at this point as I confess to liking things not always in perfect taste!)

I picked up the Safari model of Baby Louie in his egg a while ago (and read with interest more recently when the genus Beibeilong was erected for the embryo).  I didn't realise that Safari had done another "Oviraptor" in its egg, though, until it was pulled up by a chance search on eBay in an idle moment.  I succumbed to "buy it now".  It proved a long wait.  The seller took four weeks to post it. Enquiry revealed he had been on holiday, but he promised to post it before the end of January.  I had ordered it just after Christmas!  He then promised to send a free gift to make up for the inconvenience.  Anyway, it arrived eventually (from Australia) and although not terribly well wrapped, all was well.  But he forgot the promised freebie.  To be fair, he offered to send it separately but I declined.  It would have cost him a lot of postage and might well be something I didn't want.   Moaning apart, I was happy to have something else to add to my "Nests, eggs and babies" shelf.

First of all, I found a photo of the Safari catalogue entry, with dimensions, on-line at dinosaurcollectorsitea.com, which places it in the Dino Discoveries range:

The detail on my model isn't anywhere near as good - it lacks the care in painting the embryo and the egg fragments aren't white, but here it is:

And a detail:

Now for the slight mystery - can anyone help?  On the base, it is stamped in the normal way with © and the date - 2005, along with Safari and their address.  This lettering stands proud, not inscribed.  But then on the edge of the egg, just adjacent to the flat base, there is an inscribed second legend, which I can't read fully.  There is © 1995, then two words I can't decipher.  This inscription looks factory made but replicating hand-written letters.  Does anyone know anything about this, and the history of this model?  Why the discrepancy between the two dates?  What do the illegible words say?  For that matter, why produce two rather similar embryo in egg models?  This new acquisition is a great deal more rounded than the "Baby Louie" egg - was it intended to represent something other egg?

And now for some comparison shots, first of all with the Safari "Baby Louie":

Then with the Safari Dino Discoveries Oviraptor sitting on its nest (the one that references the Luis Rey painting):

And finally all three together:

PlesiosaurusNessy

@Hello ceratopsian from Germany to UK! A very nice looking new dinosaur baby, congrats! This baby perhaps seems to be a Psittacosaurus baby...? Looks super with the Oviraptor and baby Louie!

For the mystery problem with the two dates I have the idea: Probably this is the signature of Douglas(Doug) Watson,perhaps he
sculptered the baby in 1995, but it was first later released by Safari in 2005...???
Interesting figure, I have never seen it before!

I for myself are a great fan,too, collecting dinosaur eggs, I like very much the eggs of the AAA dinosaurs!

Perhaps you send Doug Watson a PM and ask himself, he did the baby or is that his signature,eventually he has an answer...???!

Do you have pics from your shelf with other dino babies?
I very admire your fantastic ceratopsian collection,a wonderful collection of dinosaur sculpting art !!!
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

From the Dino Discoveries, I have very good memories, in fact I have them in a preferred place such eggs plus the Tyrannosaurus breed coming out of the egg as favorite figures.

On the other hand the oviraptor of Dino Discoveries based on the pictorial work of Luis Rey is for me a work of art from the point of paleoartístico and always every day I take a look at the showcase that I have together with the resin dinosaurs Favorite .

It's a pity that these creations were discontinued for me they were pretty good.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: