You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Hello PlesiosaurusNessy and thank you for your comments.  I don't think it is a Psittacosaurus - look at the back leg.  It looks very theropod like.

I too had wondered about PMing Doug.  I thought the first letters were D.... and W..... but found it very hard to make Douglas out of the first word.  My plan is to PM him if no one has the answer.  It's quite hard to think why it should have been sculpted 10 years before the issue date.

I like the AAA eggs too. 

It's very hard to photograph my shelves, as I had them made with mirrors behind - perfect for viewing my models but difficult to take pictures without including me and my camera in the shot.  But here's a couple of rough shots to give you an idea.

The board at the back in the first photo is a print of Mark Witton's painting of
Oryctodromeus
and her burrow.  I'm always amazed that no one has made a toy or model (as far as I know) of this dinosaur.

Lanthanotus

Nice :)... what is that Therizinosaurus (?) in front of the painting, it looks particularly nice.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Fenestra on February 25, 2018, 03:13:57 PM
Google says the Oviraptor embryo was sculpted by: Dennis Wilson.

http://www.mtairynews.com/news/47863/grant-to-fund-exhibit-education-position

How right you are!  My Google search missed that.  I was too specific and inserted "Safari" as well.  He has a website
https://www.pangaeadesigns.com/dinosaurs
which includes an image of the original.  It seems he also did the Dino Discoveries T-rex emerging from its egg.  Thank you!

ceratopsian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 25, 2018, 03:15:14 PM
Nice :)... what is that Therizinosaurus (?) in front of the painting, it looks particularly nice.

Thank you!  It is indeed a Therizinosaurus with young.  It was sculpted by Mr. Challenger and here is the thread in which he advertised it:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3750.msg109551#msg109551

It turned out to be very fragile and had a little break in the post - the claws and hand of the parent.  But I used superglue and all was well!  It was my first venture away from mass-produced models.

Lanthanotus

Ah, should have known... I saw that figure back then (I think it was also on Etsy) and considered buying it. Nice to know it has found a fitting home :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 25, 2018, 03:43:03 PM
Ah, should have known... I saw that figure back then (I think it was also on Etsy) and considered buying it. Nice to know it has found a fitting home :)

Thank you!  Yes, he put it on Etsy as well.  I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.  I also bought his repaint of the original Carnegie Maiasaura sitting on its eggs.

Halichoeres

Gorgeous display, one to be proud of! You're essentially right about there being no Oryctodromeus; there were two made for the Dinosaur Train line, but for the purposes of most collectors that might as well be nothing at all. There's a photo in my thread, but I won't pollute yours with it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg175863#msg175863

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 25, 2018, 03:59:12 PM
  I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.

More's the pity! Mr. Challenger has done such beautiful work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Lovely collection and really beautiful display case! I hope one day I will have a case just for my collection ^-^

Shonisaurus

I would like it when I have more showcases is to order the figures of dinosaurs by collections of prehistoric toy animals. That is to say, a showcase dedicated to Safari with all its figures, another for Carnegie, Collecta, Papo, PNSO, Schleich, Favorite, Bullyland, Battat, Recur, Vitae and so on and with the labels and figures in its case for example (Old Schleich versions Humbold Museum of Berlin or Collecta).

That would be great in my case.  :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 27, 2018, 06:58:39 PM
Lovely collection and really beautiful display case! I hope one day I will have a case just for my collection ^-^

Thank you!  I know I'm very lucky to have the cabinets.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 27, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
I would like it when I have more showcases is to order the figures of dinosaurs by collections of prehistoric toy animals. That is to say, a showcase dedicated to Safari with all its figures, another for Carnegie, Collecta, Papo, PNSO, Schleich, Favorite, Bullyland, Battat, Recur, Vitae and so on and with the labels and figures in its case for example (Old Schleich versions Humbold Museum of Berlin or Collecta).

That would be great in my case.  :)

I like keeping all my Kaiyodos together, along with similar small models (e.g. the PNSO minis).  I also like having my large PNSO models together.  I keep my custom-paints together too.  But otherwise I generally display by group/species.  The tallest models live on the same deep shelf.  It's very satisfying when you find the display style that suits you.

acro-man

Eventually I am sold.
Thanks to your photos I made my final decision.
And I am very happy it turned out to be a worthy one.  ^-^
Vitae Sinoceratops has the vibe you would expect to see on a real animal, it looks quite "alive".
Apart from the cement-like texture, the model is detailed and dynamic.
The base is a masterpiece. For the first time I decided to retain it. Most other bases I choose to sell or give away to save space.
I heard rumors say PNSO is recovering. But as of now, Vitae is the last hope of Chinasaur toys.

Wonderful herbivore herd btw!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ceratopsian

Thank you, acro-man.  I am fond of my herbivores!

Glad that my photos were of service.   :)  The texture and feel of the Sinoceratops is indeed quite unusual. 

Shonisaurus

Acro-man, then are there any rumors that PNSO is recovering? If so, I'd be glad it's one of my favorite dinosaur companies.

I hope that maybe if that is true, they will do the expected giganotosaurus and amargasaurus. They know where they have a secure buyer.  :D

acro-man

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 06, 2018, 03:33:03 PM
I hope that maybe if that is true, they will do the expected giganotosaurus and amargasaurus. They know where they have a secure buyer.  :D

Count me in  ::)
喜欢收集和P图

ceratopsian

I too hope very much that the rumours of PNSO's recovery are true.  But we have a saying, "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched".  I dare not believe at this stage.  But it would make me happy!

ceratopsian

Yesterday the postman struggled out of his van in the driving snow to bring me a box all the way from China.  Its journey took only five days - quite miraculous!  Those of you who followed acro-man's thread last August on the sculptures produced by Bingni might remember that he posted some images of his work pre-2017.  Among them was a model of a Psittacosaurus with its brood of youngsters.  I liked it very much - as I've said before, I enjoy models that include eggs or hatchlings.  But at the time they weren't available.  However, one came up for sale, painted and based by a Chinese artist called Nanye.  Apparently his specialities are fantasy coloration and creative base customization.  He often works to commission.

To give you an idea of size, the model is about 20 cm across, so not large.  Here some images:

And finally, a snap of the model in its place in my cabinet, alongside Bingni's Sinornithosaurus (and the PNSO Huanghetitan):

This is a model I bought because I love it in artistic terms.  The colouring is perhaps a little more brown and less strongly green than my photos suggest.  I love the look of the hatchlings all crammed together, and the way the parent's tail curls round them protectively.  They form a real brood, all very similar but all differentiated. I love the skilful use of the dried foliage in which they are hiding.  And I enjoy the fact that the parent is dozing off, eyes mostly shut (and so is one of his/her brood). This is an unusual choice in model and toys. It's both a calm scene but also one full of interest and life.

I was a little concerned about how the foliage would survive the trip.  But it did so very well.  Plus Nanye included a packet of extra material in case I needed to freshen up any damaged bits.  In fact it came through pretty well unscathed.  I just needed to re-erect the little tree off to the right.

My grateful thanks to acro-man for enabling me to acquire this.

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

ceratopsian

Quote from: Dinomike on March 18, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
That psittacosaurus is just WOW!
Thank you.  Isn't it just!  I love it a little more each time I look at it.

acro-man

Lovely photos!

Your review might be the greatest encouragement to change Bingni's mind to make sculpts of obscure species again!

喜欢收集和P图

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: