You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killekor

Congratulations for your new model, Ceratopsian! The Nemicolopterus is precious, and the diorama is amazing. I'm particularly impressed by how the insect was painted.

Killekor

EDIT: This is my 1500th post!
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Shonisaurus

The diorama of the PNSO nemocolopterus has been fabulous, it looks like with those colors a forest pterosaur like the woodpecker.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 22, 2020, 09:40:03 PM
The diorama of the PNSO nemocolopterus has been fabulous, it looks like with those colors a forest pterosaur like the woodpecker.

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - but this is not the PNSO miniature. It is a small resin model by SenSen. They are similar though!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 22, 2020, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 22, 2020, 09:40:03 PM

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - but this is not the PNSO miniature. It is a small resin model by SenSen. They are similar though!

Well, it looked like a PNSO figure. Thanks for the clarification. Nice diorama

ceratopsian

Many thanks for the comments on the Nemicolopterus

Today's offering arrived on Friday.  If you follow my collection thread, you will know that I have a great fondness for the Paleo-Creatures line, sculpted by the Forum's own avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar.  He has a very distinctive style of economical simplicity, which I find appealing.  I also love his choice of animals.  So often he creates the more obscure taxa that are not otherwise available to collectors.  (I also like the way he will take commissions, but this time it was something from his catalogue.)

So here it is - the dinocephalian therapsid Titanosuchus ferox, from the Permian of South Africa - if only other model producers would make more Permian animals!

As you can see, it has a movable jaw.  In general, I prefer my models not to have these, but it's well done here and not intrusive.  It moves very easily (but stays put when closed).

Very cleverly, Jetoar realised that it would make a good diorama with the Moschops he had produced not too long ago.  So he made them with interlocking bases.  For people like me, who had already bought the Moschops, he supplies free of charge the new base (which is a different shape from the old one).  He has also made the bases thicker this time.  This is an improvement - I found his thin bases tended to curl up a bit at the edges!  I'm sure I'll find a use for the base that is now going spare and that some lucky animal will end up living on it!

Here they are, facing off.  Titanosuchus hasn't decided yet whether to try and make a meal of the massive Moschops towering over him!

And yes, he's going to give it try, mouth wide open now!

If you want to see more photos (or indeed hi-res photos), here's my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713316743221

ceratopsian

P.S. - my photos of the Moschops when it arrived can be found in Reply #305 (June 2019).

ceratopsian

The old base for my Paleo-Creatures Moschops has found a new inhabitant already.

Today I'm showing Protoceratops with nest, the first model produced in the new Wild Past line, created by the DTF member avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector .  It's tiny and beautiful, and I like it very much.  I'm hoping it will sell really well so that others follow in the same line!  I bought it direct from the producer as soon as it became available.

The nesting mother does not seem disturbed by the large footprints of the previous owner!

Shonisaurus

You have left the diorama of the titanosuchus and moschops (by the way outstanding figures) of Paleocreatures of Grand Jetoar.

On the other hand, the base of the Wild Past protoceratops is very realistic. I'm glad you got these three figures.

Halichoeres

I'm very fond of this little fellow. Haven't gotten around to photographing mine yet, but I'm enjoying yours! I'm also finding myself very tempted by that Titanosuchus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

The Proto from avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector is very cute, an impressive work at such a tiny size! also the Titanosuchus looks amazing, as per usual with works from avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.  The more I look at the little Protoceratops, the more I like her.  In fact she is still in my study on the little bookcase ledge where I can just glance across to enjoy her,  and she hasn't gone into the model room yet to join my "nesting and youngsters" shelf.  Certainly cute in the best possible way!

I can definitely recommend the Titanosuchus, but if you want to order one you will have to wait a while, as Jetoar posted he was too busy for to take orders just now.

ceratopsian

Not exactly a new addition to my collection - I ordered it as soon as it became available from Everything Dinosaur.  But I didn't get round to photographing it until early March when I took pictures of the Wild Past Protoceratops.  Here is Wild Safari's Edmontosaurus regalis, released for 2020.  I think it really lives up to its name - it's a majestic figure.  For me, it is the most appealing of the 2020 Safari releases.  It has a real feeling of weight, size and power.  I like too the sense of calm and peace the animal projects: I could use some of that right now.

As it was taken at the same time as the Protoceratops figures, it too re-uses the old Paleo-Creatures Moschops base.  The tree is something I picked up at an aquarium centre last summer, thinking it might add a bit of scenery to my dinosaur shelves.

If you want high-resolution images, or a few more photos, here's the link to my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713567972327

Flaffy

Amazing photos as usual!
On another note, does everyone's copy of the Edmontosaurus have sloppily painted left arm? The right arm has stripes and spots, while the left arm and shoulder area is just one mass of black paint.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Flaffy on March 21, 2020, 04:52:36 PM
Amazing photos as usual!
On another note, does everyone's copy of the Edmontosaurus have sloppily painted left arm? The right arm has stripes and spots, while the left arm and shoulder area is just one mass of black paint.

Thank you avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy!  Interesting how different the two sides are.  On the left side of my animal, the neck has spots (even though the left arm is solid black).  But on the right side where the forelimb has spots, the neck has no spots.  However, perhaps we are wrong to expect an animal to have mirror-image markings.  I've known plenty of brown/white horses and black/white horses where the markings are not at all symmetrical.

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 21, 2020, 05:02:14 PM
Thank you avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy!  Interesting how different the two sides are.  On the left side of my animal, the neck has spots (even though the left arm is solid black).  But on the right side where the forelimb has spots, the neck has no spots.  However, perhaps we are wrong to expect an animal to have mirror-image markings.  I've known plenty of brown/white horses and black/white horses where the markings are not at all symmetrical.
That's true, guess it adds more character to the figure  :))
Judging from promo-pics on Safari ltd's website, it seems that both sides should have spots and stripes for the neck and shoulder/arm regions respectively. I still find it odd how it was left out on the final product.

ceratopsian

Good point!  I hadn't thought of looking at the promo shots

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I congratulate you on your edmontosaurus. On the other hand, the photographs of your new acquisition are great, the photographic effect of the figure on a black background and with an artistic base gives the feeling that the Safari edmontosaurus is of a quality comparable to resin dinosaurs.

ceratopsian

I opened my box containing the new CollectA models on Saturday and took a few photos, which I'll put up over the next few days. 

First up, the Microraptor.  My first impression on seeing this was that it was larger than I was expecting - it's a good size (and according to the label, 1:6, though I haven't checked this for accuracy). 

My second impression as I turned it to catch the light was what a superb job CollectA has made of the iridescence.   Note that it does need good direct light to bring out the gleam: it looks much flatter in dull light.  According to Everything Dinosaur, magpie feathers were dispatched to China so that the effect could be reproduced.  The factory has made an excellent job, with a gold, pink, blue and green sheen present on the primary feathers of arms and legs, along with the tail fan. (And the fan is now complete with two longer feathers, absent from the prototype.)  From the same source, the model was commissioned (and approved) by a Chinese museum.  I wish I knew which one!  The only problem with the iridescence is that it is fiendishly hard to photograph well.

It's a good dramatic pose too, with the feel of a snapshot frozen in time.  Plus it's quite carefully painted.  I like the blue ring round the eye; and there is no bleed of white from the teeth or of pink from the mouth.

In short, very good value for money.

The upper side of the tail fan:

And the underside with a splash of turquoise:

A link to my Flickr album if you want hi-resolution images:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713819174161/with/49754116402/

Shonisaurus

Undoubtedly the microraptor along with the Bajadasaurus and Protoceratops are my three favorite Collecta figures first part but by far the figure that I like the most is the Microraptor is the most attractive and original figure of the group.

What has been done with that microraptor has not been done by any brand of dinosaurs and toy animals to date, I do not even think that there is any collectible figure (resin) that has these so special and unique characteristics. I love Collecta.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Thanks for the photo credit. This figure deserves a review soon along with the bajadasaurus.

Bokisaurus

Wow, those photos are good and able to capture those elusive iridescent in the figures. It's absolutely difficult to capture such a thing on photos.
I'm really really excited and looking forward to this figure!
Thanks for showing us photos of this amazing figure!😃

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: