News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

birds

Started by darylj, May 24, 2012, 09:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darylj

Ok.. another question.
Birds a re dinosaurs... we accept that as fact now.
After the cretaceous extinction – as far as we know, all terrestrial dinosaurs disappeared.

Were there any flightless bird species around during the cretaceous? (like non dino flightless birds e.g ratites, sea birds etc)
If so did any of these survive past the cretaceous extinction?

Also, only a few million years after the extinction the terror birds appear.
Do we have any clear evidence that terror birds came from  the line – dino, feathered dino, flying bird, flightless bird?
What im getting at is – is it possible (and I think im being hopeful here) that it went – dino, feathered dino, terror bird?

I mean a terror bird is just a toothless, small tailed dino right? 

Just wondered peoples thoughts

ZoPteryx

As far as we can tell all flightless birds in the late Cretaceous died out along with the non-avian dinos.  Examples include Hesperornis and some turkey-sized bird from Europe who's name escapes me.  Plenty of flyng birds died out as well, including the very successful enantiornithes.

The terror birds are "true birds", so to speak.  There closest living relatives are thought to be the Seriema birds of South America.

SBell

Quote from: darylj on May 24, 2012, 09:34:32 AM
Ok.. another question.
Birds a re dinosaurs... we accept that as fact now.
After the cretaceous extinction – as far as we know, all terrestrial dinosaurs disappeared.

Were there any flightless bird species around during the cretaceous? (like non dino flightless birds e.g ratites, sea birds etc)
If so did any of these survive past the cretaceous extinction?

Also, only a few million years after the extinction the terror birds appear.
Do we have any clear evidence that terror birds came from  the line – dino, feathered dino, flying bird, flightless bird?
What im getting at is – is it possible (and I think im being hopeful here) that it went – dino, feathered dino, terror bird?

I mean a terror bird is just a toothless, small tailed dino right? 

Just wondered peoples thoughts

No. Gastornis and other terror birds are true birds. The closest dinosaur relatives were clearly not.  They would have evolved from some of the small birds that survived the K/Pg.  But the hypothesis was proposed many years before, and was determined to be incorrect.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.