News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toys in a World of Sapient Dinosaurs

Started by CityRaptor, May 26, 2012, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Scenario is the following: Non-Avian Dinosaurs never went extinct. ( Mammals on the other hand are nearly extinct, with only the Platypus remaining ) The Dinosaurs and other creatures of the Mesozoic are however gone, having evolved into new species during the last 65 Million years. One of the small Dinosaur species ( maybe Troodon, maybe someone you won't expect ) evolved into a sapient species of Dinosaur, who I will refer to as Dinosauroid ( not the Dale Russel kind, but something less human-looking. Basically not too different looking from your standard Dinosaur ). Dinosauroid society, among other things, produces toys based on extent and extinct animals. So the question is: How would this scenario affect those toys?

My Opinion on this:

Extant Animals: Pretty much stays the same.

Extinct Animals: There likely never would have been toys based on tail-dragging or tripod Dinosaurs, as Dinosauroids would know better, based on the animals they share the world with. So there never would have been a Dinosaur Renaissance ( not needed )  Also, less scaly toys, based on modern animals.  Pterosaurs with batwings would also never have been around, as bats do not exist. Toys in general would be more accurate. Chinasaurs would likely still exist aswell as Museum Quality lines.
The question for me is however what would be more popular? Would "Mesozoic" Dinosaurs  ( due to the classifications being different in this case ) still be the most popular ones, with "Cenozoic" ones taking the role of Prehistoric Mammals, popularity-wise? Or would maybe the Permain Animals become the big stars, with all Dinosaurs ending like Prehistoric Mammals, with some Dinosauroid named CityPlacerias being a member of the Synapsid Toy Forum and there being books like "The Synapsid Heresies"?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

I bet this is what their toys would look like:  ^-^

ZoPteryx

Extant Animals: Just like you said, they'd pretty much stay the same. :)

Extinct Animals: I'd imagine they'd have the greatest reverance for the earlier dinosaurs and some paleozoic life.  This is because they would recognize them as their direct ancestors and find that fascinating.  They could also hold the large dinos of the Mesozoic in high regard because, if they're anything like us, they probably hunted all the giants to extinction in their early history.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.