News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 05, 2013, 12:47:38 PM
:D Wow, Max Salas has joined the forum!

....... or is it just someone using his name?
Hahaha, yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe he is getting interested in dinosaurs (and sculpting) again?

Mr Salas, if you're reading this, would you care to chime in? ;D

Pachyrhinosaurus

Has anyone else noticed the "General Discussion- Private" board has vanished? Or at least, it doesn't show on my computer. Its  sticky In the "Member's Board", wasn't it?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Just wondering if anyone has seen this. I got a laugh out of it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldah1w3TE78

There's nothing super offensive (mostly innuendo) about the video, but if you're highly sensitive you might not want to watch.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I used to see those in shops all the time, and strangely, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with them until I saw that video a while back.  The CollectA Tsintaosaurus would probably also be something which deserves a review from him.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Ohh, wow. Seriosuly? Could they not have find a different way for the action feature to work?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 29, 2013, 09:34:46 AM
Just wondering if anyone has seen this. I got a laugh out of it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldah1w3TE78

There's nothing super offensive (mostly innuendo) about the video, but if you're highly sensitive you might not want to watch.

;D ;D ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Takama

I checked out some of his other videos.

I like this one the most

By the way Innuendo alert. Admins, if you find it to much for this site feel free to take it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDllw68R7A&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL70F9924196F21CD7

FUTABA

So I see they're calling Gorgon the 'Dark Prince'. *yuck*
I really really like blue things.

CityRaptor

Dark Prince? Seriously? Does he lead an army of Jurassic Park: The Game-Style Troodons?  ;D Also, to count as a Dark Prince, he would atleast have to be purple. Purple is the color of the most evil Dinosaurs!
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: FUTABA on October 09, 2013, 08:20:35 PM
Sounds like something an angsty 15 year old would call themselves...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: FUTABA on October 09, 2013, 08:20:35 PM

Indeed. I laughed out loud when I heard this.  ;D

FUTABA

I cringed so hard the shockwaves from the shivers down my spine almost left me paralyzed.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: FUTABA on October 12, 2013, 12:55:49 AM
I cringed so hard the shockwaves from the shivers down my spine almost left me paralyzed.
LOL ;D

Btw, did you guys know that Jack Horner dislikes sauropods? :( He says they're a pain to excavate and take up too much space in museums. I just learned it a while ago and thought it was interesting.

FUTABA

Whaaat??? Surely the honour of being able to excavate a sauropod at all should beat the "inconvenience" of the work involved? (And if he finds excavations a pain, why on earth did he choose to do it as a profession?) It's as if he's gone into spoiled brat mode a bit there.

And without exhibits such as sauropod skeletons / casts in museums to draw people in, museums would likely not get the funding they need from tourism and so much more would be lost to the public. Besides, most museums big enough to house a sauropod skeleton aren't exactly the size of garden sheds.

Does this mean he dislikes the animals in particular though, or perhaps just thinks they're over-rated due to having nothing but size going for them?  (not a view I share, I must say, but I can understand that others might see them that way, although hopefully not world renowned palaeontologists).

tyrantqueen

Here are the exact words from the enyclopedia:

QuoteJack Horner, on the other hand, hates sauropods. He is a curator at the museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana. In his view, sauropods take too long to dig up, take up too much storage space, and are too heavy to pick up and study. However, when he does find a sauropod, he is still at least inclined to collect it for the museum. Horner likes small dinosaurs- the smaller the better. In fact he prefers baby dinosaurs, the kind you can put in a coffee can and take back to your desk and study.

amargasaurus cazaui

Horner has made several comments in his books along this line. While I agree that if it is a dinosaur it should be saved and kept for the people to enjoy and learn from, a few of his reasonings at least are ......somewhat easy to understand. Excavating any dinosaur can be an expensive process, in both materials and labor. Often the find might be miles from a useable road and perhaps require special equipment that is quite expensive to remove. Also many sauropods are extemely massive and can take years to properly remove and process. If you ever question the amount of work involved, read the tory of Gillete, and the large dinosaur he worked so diligently to excavate. And of course there is the issue of space with some of these dinosaurs being easily over 50 feet long, once restored and mounted. Also it was suggested that many although clearly not all sauopod finds are species already known in North America and often belong to dinosaurs already well known and represented in the fossil collections of many museums.
  Horner spent much of his time looking for nesting grounds, and infant dinosaurs, as well as sub adults to study. Following that his work seemed to center around finding and unearthing as many Tyrannosaurus Rex as possible for study, and to write books about etc. His work and ideas seem to focus more around things that will bring attention and notice...rather than common sauropods. In the public perception books and articles about Tyrannosaurus just tend to bring more attention, funding and notice than anything he might produce about an already heavily studied dinosaur like Camarasaurus.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

I've got to agree that Horner has some points regarding Sauropods. Don't we face similar problems in a far smaller scale when adding Sauropod figures to our own collections? If they are to scale with the other Dinosaurs, they usually are expensive and take a lot of space.

Another thing about Sauropods: When was Bakker's paper regarding the validity of Brontosaurus going to come out? I know it was end of October, but was a specific date given?
Oh no

radman

tyrantqueen

Happy 5th of November to everyone in the UK :)

CityRaptor

Remember, remember the Fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot

Still remember it from my english classes.
Originally I was also going to add pictures, but goggling for plot, the behinds of multi-colored miniature equines showed up a lot.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: