News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Armored ankylosaurs!

Started by Paleona, June 09, 2016, 11:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Paleona on June 09, 2016, 11:44:02 PM
Hi everyone~ recently I've taken a liking to ankylosaurs! However, they seem to really be underrepresented in toy-form.  Most Ankylosaurus figures more closely resemble Euoplocephalus, and many are still generic looking tanks, or cringe-worthy chinasaurs.   

That's probably why there aren't more. But I think we may be on the cusp of an "ankylosaur renaissance" (at least for toys) as more new research on ankylosaurs trickles its way into the public consciousness. I feel like there's much more of a general sense out there these days of how uniquely and interestingly different each type is from each other, and I think we will probably start seeing more good models in the future.

Derek.McManus

Interesting idea...let's hope you are correct!

AcroSauroTaurus

My Ankylosaurids

Chinasaur "ankylosaur" (Panoplosaurus?)

Figures:
CollectA Hylaeosaurus
CollectA Gastonia
CollectA Scelidosaurus
CollectA Minmi

Figures:
Repainted Disney's Dinosaur ankylosaur (retired)
Imaginext Ankylosaurus (retired)
JP Mini Ankylosaurus (retired)
JW Ankylosaurus (retired)
JW Mini Ankylosaurus (2 of 3) (retired)

Figures:
Chinasaur Pinacosaurus (actually a "Euoploscolosaurus")
Animal Planet Edmontonia (retired)
Small Blue Ankylosaurus herd (Need ID'd)

Figures:
Carnegie Ankylosaurus (retired)
Safari Dinos Toob Ankylosaurus
Battat Terra Euoplocephalus ("Euoploscolosaurus")
Safari Ltd. Sauropelta
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

Some random ankylosaurids of mine:

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Killekor

Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

BlueKrono

Quote from: Killekor on January 26, 2017, 11:31:57 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 26, 2017, 10:55:57 AM

This are Ankylosaurs?

Killekor

Oops! Posted the wrong link. Was wondering if I was going to do that at some point... Thanks for catching my mistake Killekor!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Killekor

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 26, 2017, 11:36:22 AM
Quote from: Killekor on January 26, 2017, 11:31:57 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 26, 2017, 10:55:57 AM

This are Ankylosaurs?

Killekor

Oops! Posted the wrong link. Was wondering if I was going to do that at some point... Thanks for catching my mistake Killekor!

You're Welcome!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

BlueKrono

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Paleona on June 09, 2016, 11:44:02 PM
Hi everyone~ recently I've taken a liking to ankylosaurs! However, they seem to really be underrepresented in toy-form.  Most Ankylosaurus figures more closely resemble Euoplocephalus, and many are still generic looking tanks, or cringe-worthy chinasaurs.   

Currently, I only own Safari's Sauropelta, which is magnificent:

Others on my wish list include Kinto Favorite's Ankylosaurus, Schleich's new mini Saichania, and I have a Terra by Battat Euoplocephalus lined up.

What others can you recommend / are your favorite?  The Papo "Ankylosaurus" is a pretty nicely detailed looking model, if not for the incorrect posture of the tail, and mislabeled name.

I have to agree, Safari's Sauropelta is AMAZING!

Sauropelta

Wild safari Ankylosaurus is the best one ever made. Sauropelta is pretty good too but the face paint looks melted and it's kinda small/medium size figure. CollectA's Gastonia is bad because it should be a about the same size as Sauropelta (17 feet) but is about half the size.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Shonisaurus

As for armored dinosaurs, ceraptosides and dinosaurs with plates Doug Watson is a true genius at the time of realizing them. Doug Watson is one of the reasons that Safari is the most awarded company in the different assessments by prestigious magazines such as Prehistoric Times among others.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sauropelta on September 30, 2018, 03:32:03 PM
Wild safari Ankylosaurus is the best one ever made. Sauropelta is pretty good too but the face paint looks melted and it's kinda small/medium size figure. CollectA's Gastonia is bad because it should be a about the same size as Sauropelta (17 feet) but is about half the size.

I like the CollectA Gastonia in part because it's close to 1:35-1:40 scale so it fits well with lots of my other dinosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Btw it is criminal that these haven't been posted here yet:

Safari Anyklosaurus

Vitae Zhejiangosaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

I have the Carnegie euplocephalus but unfortunately I do not have a camera. For his time he was a great figure.

Halichoeres

Brocc21

Some sadly unreleased, but beautiful figures by Dan Lorusso.

(May not show up. I'm bad at computer stuff.)
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Halichoeres

CollectA Borealopelta

Sonokong Hylaeosaurus

CityRaptor

That Sonokong Hylaeosaurus reminds me of Skeletor.

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 14, 2016, 03:09:31 AM
JP Mini Ankylosaurus (retired)

It's actually meant to be a baby.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 27, 2019, 01:54:08 PM
That Sonokong Hylaeosaurus reminds me of Skeletor.

Can't unsee...

Halichoeres

How have we not seen the PNSO Ankylosaurus here yet?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: