News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Time Travel

Started by E.D.G.E. (PainterRex), June 10, 2016, 05:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Alright, this is a wildly random topic, but the thought came to me. There are theories that suggest that Time Travel is impossible; however, at the constant and consistent rate at which our species is advancing, Time Travel seems like a likely progression in innovation. So, we CAN invent Time Travel, but I REALLY hope no one uses it. Using a time machine would almost certainly result in a cataclysmic change or meddling with something we should not. What I propose as a better idea to traveling through time, is to either A) send a camera/flying camera/AI camera back that does not interact with anything for the sole purpose of viewing the past or B) creating a window-like surface in our present time that can "see" through time for the sole purpose of viewing the past. In this way, humans would not affect the past in a negative, or positive, way. What is everyone's opinion?
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

CityRaptor

A would still interact with past in some way.

B) Some sort of Time Scanner? That is how Dinosaurs Attack! starts.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

There is no evidence to support the idea of backwards time travel being possible. Forwards however, is as simple as creating a vessel fast enough that won't kill its occupants.

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 10, 2016, 06:05:20 PM
There is no evidence to support the idea of backwards time travel being possible. Forwards however, is as simple as creating a vessel fast enough that won't kill its occupants.

Exactly, I highly doubt we'd ever be able to go back in time.

Anyway

A.) Depending on how far back you go, early humans could capture and dismantle the camera, which would affect the past as City Raptor said
B.) Sounds reasonable provided that window is one way

CityRaptor

Not only humans. Other animals could do it, too.
Oh no

Rain

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 10, 2016, 08:55:15 PM

I meant dismantle and use it for it's technology but yes, you're right.

Gwangi

Quote from: Rain on June 10, 2016, 09:00:07 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on June 10, 2016, 08:55:15 PM

I meant dismantle and use it for it's technology but yes, you're right.

Or maybe it already has happened.  ;) And now if it doesn't happen again we'll never become a technologically evolved civilization capable of time travel?

Patrx

I don't know what all the fuss is about; I totally built a time machine once.
Granted, I could only ever get the darn thing to go forward, at one-hundred percent speed, but still.

;D

Pachyrhinosaurus

What if the past can't be changed (assuming backwards time travel is possible)? For example, I could go back in time and have photos taken with me in them, however those photos would have existed with me in them before I went back in time, as opposed to appearing (from my perspective) between my departure and return.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

I dont understand why backwards time travel would not be possible. There is untold amounts of technological advancement in the unknowable future that is possible. Plenty of things would be completely out of the realm of reality though (Any law of physics breaking stuff). But a window or screen to see through time seems like a great idea, since it actually sounds easier than straight going back, plus no one would be the wiser, you're basically watching the nature channel of whenever time you want. I wonder, if that tech is possible, if when it is moved around the globe it sees different things? or could it stay in one place and see other parts of the world? A similar contraption was made in the Tomorrowland movie, in which the future people from Tomorrowland see the future of Earth through a reality sphere kind of thing.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

Silvanusaurus

When I was a child time travel was in fact thought to be impossible, but now it's quite different. The first mass produced device was released only a couple of years ago in the 80's. It cost a pretty penny but It's certainly been worth it, even just to see the state of things here in the early era of the 21st century, which happens to be quite hilarious. One is normally discouraged from giving out any information to residents of earlier decades, but I can tell you that I've been to the year 3000, and not much has changed, but they do live underwater.
Oh and it turns out we were wrong again about Spinosaurus, who actually had no legs at all, slithered around like a snake on the land, and could achieve an impressive degree of anti-gravitational movement through the air (flight, if you will) by rapidly spinning itself around, creating a primitive propeller with it's sail.
This is no joke, I've seen it.  8) 

stargatedalek

Quote from: PainterRex on June 11, 2016, 07:04:53 AM
I dont understand why backwards time travel would not be possible. There is untold amounts of technological advancement in the unknowable future that is possible. Plenty of things would be completely out of the realm of reality though (Any law of physics breaking stuff). But a window or screen to see through time seems like a great idea, since it actually sounds easier than straight going back, plus no one would be the wiser, you're basically watching the nature channel of whenever time you want. I wonder, if that tech is possible, if when it is moved around the globe it sees different things? or could it stay in one place and see other parts of the world? A similar contraption was made in the Tomorrowland movie, in which the future people from Tomorrowland see the future of Earth through a reality sphere kind of thing.
Backwards time travel is "law of physics breaking stuff". And that's also not how recording technology works. Cameras don't astro-project themselves where we want them, an actual physical machine has to appear there and record digital images. This means that it doesn't change anything at all regarding likelihood of paradoxes because a large object still has to go backwards in time. And in order to witness anything truly useful to use it would have to be in a place where it would be noticed and/or affect the environment.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2016, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: PainterRex on June 11, 2016, 07:04:53 AM
Backwards time travel is "law of physics breaking stuff". And that's also not how recording technology works. Cameras don't astro-project themselves where we want them, an actual physical machine has to appear there and record digital images. This means that it doesn't change anything at all regarding likelihood of paradoxes because a large object still has to go backwards in time. And in order to witness anything truly useful to use it would have to be in a place where it would be noticed and/or affect the environment.

Alright then. So maybe trying to look into a parallel universe (if they exist) or alternate universes (if they exist) would be a tad more realistic.

stargatedalek

Quote from: PainterRex on June 11, 2016, 05:41:45 PMAlright then. So maybe trying to look into a parallel universe (if they exist) or alternate universes (if they exist) would be a tad more realistic.
Probably far more likely, since that is a complete unknown as opposed to an almost certain impossibility.

CityRaptor

It would be pretty hilarious if it then turned out that mammals only make up a small amount of sapient species, with the majority being Archosaurs and there even being Lizardfolk in one dimension...
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.