News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Carnotaurus sastrei "Crimson King"

Started by joossa, July 17, 2016, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2016, 04:28:33 AM
IT is also sicking to see dinosaurs being treated as a free canvas when it comes to sculptures.   If Rebor made a modern Lion with similar proportion issues to this Carnotarus and claimed it to be Scientifically accurate Would people still be defending them?  Dinosaurs are not fictinal creatures they are real animals, and they must be replicated according to current research, and dont give the classic "we will never see one in real life, because they are all extinct" excuse for making different interpretations. If this model were on display next to a mounted skeleton of the real animal in a museum, it would look absolutely ridiculous, as if the sculptor barly had a idea of what the real thing looked like. The legs on this model are to thick, and the head is too robust, Carnoturaus was a slim, animal with a very thin skull, and the sculptor of this model ignored those features because he does know crap about dinosaurs.

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 04:17:06 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 05, 2016, 03:59:41 AM
Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 03:23:37 AM
wow I guess I rest my case...negative people.  I never said anyone wasn't entitled to their opinion but I just feel there is so much hate on this forum...unless all dinosaur models are "accurate" they are rejected and torn to shreds.  I like the fact that there are so many different toy companies like CollectA that release beautiful accurate models, however I also enjoy the pop culture that Rebor brings to the table.  I wish we could just appreciate what each dinosaur company is trying to accomplish.
This has nothing to do with whether REBOR is creating accurate models or not. They have in the past outright lied and claimed their figures were produced in accuracy, they have attacked bi-standers, competitors, and critics alike, and ahve nothing but the most outright deplorable behavior imaginable for an allegedly professional entity.

Not to mention paying homage to pop-culture representations is very different from outright copying designs, which is what REBOR does.

Which designs has Rebor copied?  I know the Acro looks suspect to me but I love it regardless.

UM

There T.rex is a blatant Rip off of the Ever popular Jurassic Park T.Rex(which is more accurate then Rebors model, because unlike that model, The Onscreen Dinosaur had the creatures signature binocular vision).   Plus There Raptor Hatchlings blind box figurines are all based on colors used in those movies.

Yes they have used the JP rex in their design, but not because they stole the mold?  It's similar sure because they love JP and of course the little hatchlings are intentionally coloured that way for JP fans.  I don't see how this is a problem.  The ceratosaurus for example is all there own design, as far as I know?

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 04:35:25 AM
Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2016, 04:28:33 AM
IT is also sicking to see dinosaurs being treated as a free canvas when it comes to sculptures.   If Rebor made a modern Lion with similar proportion issues to this Carnotarus and claimed it to be Scientifically accurate Would people still be defending them?  Dinosaurs are not fictinal creatures they are real animals, and they must be replicated according to current research, and dont give the classic "we will never see one in real life, because they are all extinct" excuse for making different interpretations. If this model were on display next to a mounted skeleton of the real animal in a museum, it would look absolutely ridiculous, as if the sculptor barly had a idea of what the real thing looked like. The legs on this model are to thick, and the head is too robust, Carnoturaus was a slim, animal with a very thin skull, and the sculptor of this model ignored those features because he does know crap about dinosaurs.

I am well aware of what an accurate carnotaurus looks like.  I really enjoy the carnegie carno model as apart from the tripod pose it is fairly accurate.  What am saying is (and now feel like I'm repeating myself) I enjoy both fictional and scientifically accurate models.

Bucklander

wow I guess I rest my case...negative people.  I never said anyone wasn't entitled to their opinion but I just feel there is so much hate on this forum...unless all dinosaur models are "accurate" they are rejected and torn to shreds.  I like the fact that there are so many different toy companies like CollectA that release beautiful accurate models, however I also enjoy the pop culture that Rebor brings to the table.  I wish we could just appreciate what each dinosaur company is trying to accomplish.
You rest your case? Are you @#$%ing kidding me? You call people nerds (like I suppose you think you have to talk only about football in 2 or less syllable words and chain smoke to be cool!) and snobs, and YES you did say people shouldn't critique if they're unhappy about something, and you call me negative! Typical inversion technique. Get real sister! I'm not interested in trying to shut down points of view that conflict with my own, but I cannot stand this sort of self righteous attempt to control dialogue, and I will always respond in strong terms to any one foolish enough to thoughtlessly throw around insults the way you have done. >:( >:( >:(

And for the record, this isn't "hate", it's self defense, and criticizing a "toy" for what one feels are its faults isn't hate either. It's simply a public expression of subjective taste.

You seem to have missed my point (or didn't want to face up to it), namely, you accuse others of being snobs, when it is you yourself who is the snob. That last sentence is not an emotional tit for tat rejoinder. It is a logical conclusion. Snobbery (belief that you are better than others) is implicit in your argument. You seem to feel superior enough, that you want to shut down dialogue that differs from yours! Say what you like (as is your right) but don't be surprised if, when you use NEGATIVE and insulting words like "nerd" and "snob", you upset people. AND PLEASE DON'T THEN TURN IT AROUND AS IF YOU ARE ALL SUPERIOR, SUFFERING UNDER THE WEIGHT OF NEGATIVITY BEING DIRECTED AT YOU, WHEN YOU ARE THE ONE DIRECTING IT!

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: Bucklander on November 05, 2016, 06:43:43 AM
You rest your case? Are you @#$%ing kidding me? You call people nerds (like I suppose you think you have to talk only about football in 2 or less syllable words and chain smoke to be cool!) and snobs, and YES you did say people shouldn't critique if they're unhappy about something, and you call me negative! Typical inversion technique. Get real sister! I'm not interested in trying to shut down points of view that conflict with my own, but I cannot stand this sort of self righteous attempt to control dialogue, and I will always respond in strong terms to any one foolish enough to thoughtlessly throw around insults the way you have done. >:( >:( >:(

And for the record, this isn't "hate", it's self defense, and criticizing a "toy" for what one feels are its faults isn't hate either. It's simply a public expression of subjective taste.

You seem to have missed my point (or didn't want to face up to it), namely, you accuse others of being snobs, when it is you yourself who is the snob. That last sentence is not an emotional tit for tat rejoinder. It is a logical conclusion. Snobbery (belief that you are better than others) is implicit in your argument. You seem to feel superior enough, that you want to shut down dialogue that differs from yours! Say what you like (as is your right) but don't be surprised if, when you use NEGATIVE and insulting words like "nerd" and "snob", you upset people. AND PLEASE DON'T THEN TURN IT AROUND AS IF YOU ARE ALL SUPERIOR, SUFFERING UNDER THE WEIGHT OF NEGATIVITY BEING DIRECTED AT YOU, WHEN YOU ARE THE ONE DIRECTING IT!

No you completely misinterpreted what I meant by nerd.  Not insulting...I am a nerd, I meant it in a good way. I am proud to be a nerd.  You must be insecure if you view it as a derogatory term.  For the record I am in no way a "cool" kid, I am not self righteous but you act like I just set fire to your collection.  Calm down. I do not want to shut down anything, I'm not the one throwing their toys out of the cot.  Forget I ever said anything because you totally took it the wrong way and out of context.

Bucklander

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: Bucklander on November 05, 2016, 06:43:43 AM

No you completely misinterpreted what I meant by nerd.  Not insulting...I am a nerd, I meant it in a good way. I am proud to be a nerd.  You must be insecure if you view it as a derogatory term.  For the record I am in no way a "cool" kid, I am not self righteous but you act like I just set fire to your collection.  Calm down. I do not want to shut down anything, I'm not the one throwing their toys out of the cot.  Forget I ever said anything because you totally took it the wrong way and out of context.
I'm sorry, I guess I over reacted. In this age of increasing PC, SJWs and thought police, I tend to get upset by people who think their way of seeing the world is the only way, and who want to enforce their views upon others at the same time as shutting down debate. I must be careful, I don't want to break forum rules by getting political. And you're right, the term nerd has been appropriated by a younger generation in a less derogatory way. I don't so much mind being a nerd, but a snob is different. Anyway, enough said. I have to learn to let these things slide.

laticauda

Ok, back to the Carnotaurus.  Along with the near complete skeleton, mot people know there are skin impressions from the animal.  From the pictures, the Rebor model looks a little over sized but close ish to the real thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on how accurate the skin on this new rebor model stacks up to the known material?

Flaffy

@Raptorqueen89-
Copyright doesn't work like that. Your logic is that if I copy someone else's design, in this case JP's, but didn't use the same mould even though it is a 95-99% copy of the JP rex, I am somehow justified? 
Loving something doesn't mean you can straight out copy, claim that it's your own's and sell it. Once money is involved, everything gets messy.
Also, please think a little more carefully before you type. So far, it's been very easy to misunderstand your intentions behind your posts.

As for everyone else. Please calm down, there's no need to be rash.

stargatedalek

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 05, 2016, 01:43:47 PM
@Raptorqueen89-
Copyright doesn't work like that. Your logic is that if I copy someone else's design, in this case JP's, but didn't use the same mould even though it is a 95-99% copy of the JP rex, I am somehow justified? 
Loving something doesn't mean you can straight out copy, claim that it's your own's and sell it. Once money is involved, everything gets messy.
Also, please think a little more carefully before you type. So far, it's been very easy to misunderstand your intentions behind your posts.
Sadly copyright does work like that in this particular case. You can copyright a piece of media depicting a dinosaur, but you can't copyright the design of the creature itself (even if very blatantly fictionalized as is the case for JP). Some gibberish that essentially amounted to "the legal system would never bring in a paleontologist or paleoartist as a consultant and therefore any "dinosaur" is a potentially accurate rendition and should be treated as a public domain aspect of nature". But that doesn't change the moral ramifications of creating "homages" that step on the toes of official licensing. If JP had never had toy lines than sure, this could be considered an homage, but as-is this is a shameless cash-in on preexisting series popularity.

Quote from: Raptorqueen89 on November 05, 2016, 08:58:22 AMNo you completely misinterpreted what I meant by nerd.  Not insulting...I am a nerd, I meant it in a good way. I am proud to be a nerd.  You must be insecure if you view it as a derogatory term.  For the record I am in no way a "cool" kid, I am not self righteous but you act like I just set fire to your collection.  Calm down. I do not want to shut down anything, I'm not the one throwing their toys out of the cot.  Forget I ever said anything because you totally took it the wrong way and out of context.
I think a lot of people here are probably nerds/geeks, (I know I'm booth) so it's not an illogical conclusion, although as always context is very important. It doesn't matter if you consider a term derogatory or not if you still use it in a derogatory context than it becomes derogatory. Nerd/geek are rather poor examples of this process as both are often used both as social identifiers and as lighthearted jabs, but be careful as other terms that can also be used as social identifiers in the right context can be genuinely offensive in the wrong one. If the context has already established that you're among nerds it can be used lightheartedly or literally, if not it makes you sound like the villain from a 90s teen drama movie.

Quote from: laticauda on November 05, 2016, 12:37:25 PM
Ok, back to the Carnotaurus.  Along with the near complete skeleton, mot people know there are skin impressions from the animal.  From the pictures, the Rebor model looks a little over sized but close ish to the real thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on how accurate the skin on this new rebor model stacks up to the known material?
Unfortunately Carnotaurus impressions are rather unreliable as yet. Some authors have argued these impressions could have been impressions of rough skin with sparse osteoderms among them, and others have taken rough translations of the original publication for granted and gone with a fully scaled interpretation. We simply won't know what was actually going on until we get some proper photographs and a lot more people have been allowed to actually see this fossil which for some reason is being hidden away, far from public and peer eyes alike.

The only published photo of the impressions, many of which were actually destroyed during preservation.

Flaffy

utd7

Hope it won't be long till we get the full colour reveal but will probably be next year now considering they haven't even released the deinonychus clan yet.

I really don't like that it is going to be basically a copy of the Disney version but will see how it turns out and as usual reading through the comments a sudden argument has broken out over REBOR which is really getting old now. True REBOR themselves have said that they based some of their figures on movie designs and then label them accurate but you have to look past that and consider them as they are. Their Ceratosaurus could have easily been a copy of the one from JP3 but they designed it themselves and turned out pretty well in my opinion. I just wish we could see that more often and not basing them on movie ones.
We live in a Jurassic World

Raptorqueen89

Quote from: utd7 on November 06, 2016, 07:57:59 AM
Hope it won't be long till we get the full colour reveal but will probably be next year now considering they haven't even released the deinonychus clan yet.

I really don't like that it is going to be basically a copy of the Disney version but will see how it turns out and as usual reading through the comments a sudden argument has broken out over REBOR which is really getting old now. True REBOR themselves have said that they based some of their figures on movie designs and then label them accurate but you have to look past that and consider them as they are. Their Ceratosaurus could have easily been a copy of the one from JP3 but they designed it themselves and turned out pretty well in my opinion. I just wish we could see that more often and not basing them on movie ones.

It's weird though, I thought it was being released this month like Bonnie, or possibly December?  And yes I totally agree about Ceratosaurus, I feel it is one of their strongest designs simply because it's theirs.

Victoria's Cantina

I'm banking on the Carnotaurus likely being an early 2017 release at this point. They haven't done a color reveal, which would have to happen before a preorder. And even then, the preorder will be up at least a month before it actually comes out.

Derek.McManus

Given the recent tease of the new raptor model has anyone any further Carnotaurus details to share?

joossa

Quote from: Derek.McManus on December 10, 2016, 01:57:30 PM
Given the recent tease of the new raptor model has anyone any further Carnotaurus details to share?
They haven't dropped any additional information. At this rate, it's looking to be a 2017 release, I'd guess. See first post of this thread for the most up to date info.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shonisaurus

On the other hand the carnotaurus Rebor is being reantimed when it comes to marketing this figure. Rebor has not yet given any notice. In theory it should be in the stores online.

joossa

Release date is now April, 2017. The prototype was damaged pretty badly when it was being shipped to China for production. Took them a month to get back on track.

02/04/17:
QuoteFB User: when can we see the carno??
Rebor: The prototype was severely damaged during the shipping to China and it took us a whole month to get it fully repaired which is why it has been postponed. Fortunately everything is OK now and it will be released in April together with Spring Heeled Jack

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Takama

Quote from: joossa on February 06, 2017, 12:53:44 AM
Release date is now April, 2017. The prototype was damaged pretty badly when it was being shipped to China for production. Took them a month to get back on track.

02/04/17:
Rebor: The prototype was severely damaged during the shipping to China and it took us a whole month to get it fully repaired which is why it has been postponed. Fortunately everything is OK now and it will be released in April together with Spring Heeled Jack

KARMAS a Female Dog.     

Shadowknight1

Oh god, I think I'd cry if a model ended up like that.  That poor Carnotaurus.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Reptilia

I'm very excited for the jumping raptor, and I'm eager to see how this Carnotaurus will turn out, but where are the herbivores? Especially the male Triceratops, the rest of that diorama is two years old now, it's about time!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on February 06, 2017, 01:24:37 AM
Quote from: joossa on February 06, 2017, 12:53:44 AM

02/04/17:

KARMAS a Female Dog.     

As long as they have the head sculpt intact, it's pretty easy to reconstruct actually.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: